DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone video of Great Tennessee Airshow 2021 under FAA investigation

If he had the proper auths and/or waivers, and all the stakeholders approved it, and he was supposed to be there doing that, then I see zero issues with this. (Of course, that's a lot of "ifs".)

Of course, you know that even if all was in order, the FAA certainly got a zillion calls about it anyway...and so did the mayor, and the Governor, and the airport tower, and the news outlets. Even though there were no collisions, damage, or dead people. Haters gonna hate. :-(
This is not about haters. This is about following FAA rules and following TFR rules. It takes just one drone to commit some sort of disaster to screw it up for all of us that are doing the right thing. So yes if the guy did wrong he deserves to be fined and let the FAA decide how they want to handle it. But I do believe the FAA should implement or at least enforce their laws

...do the rules 'specify' @ want distance? Example: You happen to be in your backyard and a police helicopter is flying two blocks over, does that mean you have to drop down? I don't know that's why I'm asking.
What if something went wrong and you lost control? Hardly worth it. I would avoid as best as possible and attempt to land however If I can RTH safely I would do so by manually flying the UAV home. If your intent is to capture cool video/pics instead of trying to avoid the manned aircraft (or other emergency operations) and safely land, it would probably be a violation. As stated you don't know where the manned aircraft will go.

I often fly off a couple private runways. Both are AMA sites that are private airports with one owned by the Gov. We simply see and avoid. Sometimes law enforcement helicopters use the other end of the runway when we are flying RC fixed wing stuff...sometimes drones and helicopters. If your aircraft gets away from you you better take it down and even crash it if necessary. The deal is if you encounter a manned aircraft, it's basically your fault as a RC operator (PIC) if there is an incident. Common sense says stay away.

At many airshows there are often RC clubs that participate in the airshow along with the manned aircraft. So if the RC pilots have authorization that's one thing but if not I'd expect some type of TFR keeping all unauthorized RC flights grounded.

Reactions: Prop Wash
This is not about haters. This is about following FAA rules and following TFR rules. It takes just one drone to commit some sort of disaster to screw it up for all of us that are doing the right thing. So yes if the guy did wrong he deserves to be fined and let the FAA decide how they want to handle it. But I do believe the FAA should implement or at least enforce their laws
Of course if he "did wrong" he should be punished to the extent of whatever laws he broke, and our hobby / sport / profession just took a big PR hit. That's obvious.

But there's currently no proof that he did anything wrong. US citizens are innocent until proven guilty.

Why all the investigations? Dunno; my theory is that, even if he did everything right, the FAA *has* to say they're investigating, simply due to the deluge of calls they got from the haters...they don't want to seem "aloof". (Or they want to perpetuate the public's unnecessary hatred of drone flying, like they seem to have been doing since about 2012. /rant)

Question: if it turned out he followed all the rules, are you ok with the operation, and with the publishing of his video?

Reactions: Mugginz
Of course if he "did wrong" he should be punished to the extent of whatever laws he broke, and our hobby / sport / profession just took a big PR hit. That's obvious.

But there's currently no proof that he did anything wrong. US citizens are innocent until proven guilty.

Why all the investigations? Dunno; my theory is that, even if he did everything right, the FAA *has* to say they're investigating, simply due to the deluge of calls they got from the haters...they don't want to seem "aloof". (Or they want to perpetuate the public's unnecessary hatred of drone flying, like they seem to have been doing since about 2012. /rant)

Question: if it turned out he followed all the rules, are you ok with the operation, and with the publishing of his video?
He could have followed all the rules except there was a TFR in place which he did not follow that's all it takes. I'm telling you this because last week we had an aerial show in South Beach Florida and we have a TFR that covers 5 MI that should also apply to him in his area. I'm not trying to hate the guy but I like to protect my hobby and what feeds my family and what puts food in the table.

US citizens are innocent until proven guilty.
The presumption of innocence only applies in a criminal court.
There are rules that can be waived, and there are rules that can't be waived. AFAIK, the requirement of a VFR pilot to see and avoid other traffic, the requirement of a sUAS pilot to give way to manned air traffic, and the requirement to not pose a collision hazard can't be waived. Under normal circumstances, ATC doesn't provide separation for drones; the drone pilot is fully responsible on his own for avoiding other traffic. If that traffic is flying at low altitude, making high-G maneuvers at many hundreds of knots, I question whether a drone has the technical capability to outmaneuver a fighter jet as would be required to carry out his duty to avoid a collision. A drone pilot must avoid flying in circumstances where he can't reliably avoid creating a collision hazard.

On the other hand, if the Air Boss and airshow pilots were aware of the drone's location, and were comfortable with the measures taken to ensure safety, I'll grant that they're in a much better position to make that call than I am. Somehow, I don't think that's what happened, but the FAA investigation will surely get to the bottom of it.

Thanks to everyone who pointed out my obvious blunder in the way I asked my question. I GET IT! I appreciate you wanting everyone to 'do it right.' I agree with you. I don't want to leave the impression that I'm one of those GUYs who messes things up for others. Rules have their place in our lives in a lot of things we do. The FAA UAV rules make sense - I do and will continue to follow them.

Reactions: Drone_Pilot
Yes you immediately need to land. I use a app called flight radar 24. I always have it on when I'm flying on a separate tablet. Always know what's in my airspace
That app is probably better than nothing I guess, but I'm surprised by how many aircraft don't show up on it. Most law enforcement, crop dusters, and a lot of smaller aircraft are not identified. Not too long back an Alpha Jet came zipping down the runway about a hundred feet AGL. It didn't show on the flight radar app either.

Reactions: Rich QR
That app is probably better than nothing I guess, but I'm surprised by how many aircraft don't show up on it. Most law enforcement, crop dusters, and a lot of smaller aircraft are not identified. Not too long back an Alpha Jet came zipping down the runway about a hundred feet AGL. It didn't show on the flight radar app either.
It only shows airplanes that transmit ADS-B data, and only if the ADS-B transmission is received by a receiver that feeds info into their network.

ADS-B out is required for airplanes that fly in class A, B, and C controlled airspace, or within 30 nm of a class B primary airport. There are more details in FAR 91.225. Most airplanes transmit ADS-B these days. But realize that many airplanes that fly in uncontrolled airspace (or even in class D) still aren't required to transmit ADS-B out.

It's a little harder to figure out the exact coverage of the receivers that receive these ADS-B transmissions and relay them to FlightRadar24. There are plenty of receivers covering scheduled airline routes. Receivers are concentrated in major metro areas, and sufficient to receive high altitude en-route traffic over land nearly anywhere. But the ADS-B transmissions don't go much beyond line of sight, which is very far for an airliner at 30,000 feet, but not nearly so far for the planes flying at altitudes that might concern our drones. There are plenty of areas where an airplane flying at 500' AGL or less would be "under the radar" so to speak.

I live in a fairly heavily populated suburban metro area, about 15 miles north of San Francisco, California (but in uncontrolled airspace and outside the mode C veil). When I hear a plane flying over my home, I often bring up FlightRadar24 to check on it. Something like 1/4 of the planes I hear don't show up. I'm sure that, in some rural areas, it's got much worse coverage, and in some more densely populated areas, particularly near class B airports, the coverage is much more complete.

Use it, but don't use it as a substitute for watching and listening.

It only shows airplanes that transmit ADS-B data, and only if the ADS-B transmission is received by a receiver that feeds info into their network.

ADS-B out is required for airplanes that fly in class A, B, and C controlled airspace, or within 30 nm of a class B primary airport. There are more details in FAR 91.225. Most airplanes transmit ADS-B these days. But realize that many airplanes that fly in uncontrolled airspace (or even in class D) still aren't required to transmit ADS-B out.

It's a little harder to figure out the exact coverage of the receivers that receive these ADS-B transmissions and relay them to FlightRadar24. There are plenty of receivers covering scheduled airline routes. Receivers are concentrated in major metro areas, and sufficient to receive high altitude en-route traffic over land nearly anywhere. But the ADS-B transmissions don't go much beyond line of sight, which is very far for an airliner at 30,000 feet, but not nearly so far for the planes flying at altitudes that might concern our drones. There are plenty of areas where an airplane flying at 500' AGL or less would be "under the radar" so to speak.

I live in a fairly heavily populated suburban metro area, about 15 miles north of San Francisco, California (but in uncontrolled airspace and outside the mode C veil). When I hear a plane flying over my home, I often bring up FlightRadar24 to check on it. Something like 1/4 of the planes I hear don't show up. I'm sure that, in some rural areas, it's got much worse coverage, and in some more densely populated areas, particularly near class B airports, the coverage is much more complete.

Use it, but don't use it as a substitute for watching and listening.
Yeah I totally agree, but some people seem to think all planes will show up. Almost every close encounter I've had with a full sized plane have not shown on the flight radar app. Many times you never hear or see them coming until the aircraft is almost upon you. At one airport I fly at you can't fly by yourself however you can bring a friend to use as a spotter. If you see a plane landing, it's required that the RC pilot must stay out of its way. Obviously where I'm flying from is an issue and takes a bit more caution to avoid an encounter.

Reactions: Rich QR
With a wide angle lens so far away, it's basically useless video. No sense of the real thrill of the event.

Reactions: mullern88
I'll leave it to those agencies to make their call - but...yes, UAVs are supposed to make way for manned aircraft. On the other hand, do the rules 'specify' @ want distance? Example: You happen to be in your backyard and a police helicopter is flying two blocks over, does that mean you have to drop down? I don't know that's why I'm asking.

In the video above, to me, it didn't "appear" he was that close, but I'm sure they'll look @ that. I hope he has proof of the disclaimers post in the OPs post.
Ditto. It looks like the person who took the video was a safe distance away. If he had all the permissions, and from the video, I think he did, what's the problem? I also agree that you could have made better video with a GoPro from the ground at the airshow, but that was his choice. Would have been interesting to see how it would have looked using the zoom capabilities.

Really the only thing wrong with the video is that he was flying too high with the Jets at the time, if he would have dropped down just above the trees he probably would not be in any trouble.

A drone video of the Great Tennessee Airshow 2021 is allegedly under investigation by a number of government agencies, including the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).

Drone video of Great Tennessee Airshow 2021 under investigation​

Two days ago this video was uploaded to the Internet by Scout UAS. The video is almost 10-minutes long and shows footage of the Great Tennessee Airshow 2021 recorded with a drone.

The airshow took place on June 5th and 6th, 2021 at Smyrna Airport in Smyrna, Tennessee.

A drone video of the Great Tennessee Airshow 2021 is allegedly under investigation by a number of government agencies, including the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).

Early on in the video, the creator points out that:

However, we have been informed by a very reliable source who is close to the FAA that this video is currently under investigation by multiple government agencies, including the FAA.

As you can see in the drone video, various fighter jets fly close by at high speeds and seemingly at the same altitude as the drone and at times even lower.

As per the FAA drone rules, unmanned aircraft need to give way to manned aviation, and cannot be flown in a reckless manner. Based on the footage in the video it appears that some of the FAA rules might indeed have been broken.
There had to be a TFR in place. Keep us informed please.

I wanted to fly my drone at the Fort Lauderdale Air Show a few weeks ago bad!! No way I was going to try it there though. Did better with my camera anyway.

View attachment 130457View attachment 130458View attachment 130456
View attachment 130460

I wanted to drone this ship bad way before the show started but seaplanes, banner planes and helicopters were way low were everywhere!!!

View attachment 130459
The video is not even that compelling to watch for 9 minutes. JackL's photos are much better.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest