DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone visibility idea

JohnnyD913

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I have what I think is a great idea for being able to see our drones from a distance.
The idea is to stretch the vlos without breaking any FAA regulations.
Problem is I have no money to patent this idea or knowledge of how to go about it..
Actually it is just an idea I have but one worthy of exploring..
Obviously If I were to write about it someone could “steal” my idea and That would be that..
Any ideas how to promote or move forward with this without giving up my idea?
Of course I want compensation of it was to become popular that is why I feel like I need to keep my lips sealed for now..
Ty,
JohnnyD913

Reactions: Droniac and BigAl07
I have what I think is a great idea for being able to see our drones from a distance.
Problem is I have no money to patent this idea or knowledge of how to go about it..
Obviously If I were to write about it someone could “steal” my idea and That would be that..
Of course I want compensation of it was to become popular that is why I feel like I need to keep my lips sealed for now..
Ty,
JohnnyD913
There are services around where you can pitch patent ideas confidentially. Your local business associations or economic development agencies might be able to point you in the right direction.

Ty,
JohnnyD913
Agree with the above.
But, also, BEFORE you meet with a Patent Atty. etc,, you should send yourself a copy of your idea/proposal, with full details, documentation etc. to yourself, registered mail, with a signature a couple of weeks, or a month prior to meeting. That way you have a legally dated document BEFORE anybody else sees it.

Well that’ll be interesting, and before you invest too much time or money ensure your idea isn’t already banned eg using binoculars or other visual artificial aid.

if the enhancement is from the pilots position well mmm, I’m all ears and eyes but if it’s from the drones position a large balloon attached doesn’t work well ?

but good luck??

Ty,
JohnnyD913
If your idea is a string with flares tied to it every 5 feet, I already thought of that. Apparently, the nanny-state FAA thinks it is too “dangerous” and “ill conceived” and “very likely to cause widespread property damage and probably death.”

In all seriousness, develop the idea into a prototype, find an IP lawyer in the nearest large city, and then get a patent. I’m friends with many IP lawyers and the common comment is that maybe 1 in 100 folks ever make any money on an idea because few people ever follow through on making the idea an actual product or service.

If your idea is a string with flares tied to it every 5 feet, I already thought of that. Apparently, the nanny-state FAA thinks it is too “dangerous” and “ill conceived” and “very likely to cause widespread property damage and probably death.”

In all seriousness, develop the idea into a prototype, find an IP lawyer in the nearest large city, and then get a patent. I’m friends with many IP lawyers and the common comment is that maybe 1 in 100 folks ever make any money on an idea because few people ever follow through on making the idea an actual product or service.
Thanks you for your suggestions bud..
Now I have some direction where to begin.

I like the string of lights..
Of course the FAA wouldn’t go..
Lol

Thanks you for your suggestions bud..
Now I have some direction where to begin.

I like the string of lights..
Of course the FAA wouldn’t go..
Lol
And maybe find an NDA online. I don’t generally like the idea of using legal forms but short of hiring a lawyer a good online form is better than nothing to protect yourself.

A patent company should be able to answer all your questions and and guide you the way to go about it.
No offense intended, but as a lawyer who does some IP work, PLEASE stay away from these companies. Lawyers may take too much money (fair criticism) but these companies are almost universally scams.

If the OP has a good idea, he’d be far better off talking with a good patent attorney. He may pay $500/hr or more to do it, but still better than the patent company scams

No offense intended, but as a lawyer who does some IP work, PLEASE stay away from these companies. Lawyers may take too much money (fair criticism) but these companies are almost universally scams.

If the OP has a good idea, he’d be far better off talking with a good patent attorney. He may pay $500/hr or more to do it, but still better than the patent company scams
Very good point!

Reactions: Droniac
Agree with the above.
But, also, BEFORE you meet with a Patent Atty. etc,, you should send yourself a copy of your idea/proposal, with full details, documentation etc. to yourself, registered mail, with a signature a couple of weeks, or a month prior to meeting. That way you have a legally dated document BEFORE anybody else sees it.
Dang that’s pure genius..
Thank u

This was common practice for many years. And not a bad idea in general. But US law was changed under Trump and the law is now that first to register gets the patent, not first to develop/think of it.
Yeah, but keeps the IP Lawyer a weee bit more honest....

In documenting your idea, I was told years ago by patent attorneys at General Electric to have two people review your material and witness it, with signature, date, and the note "Witnessed and understood."

Perhaps Maviac can comment?

In documenting your idea, I was told years ago by patent attorneys at General Electric to have two people review your material and witness it, with signature, date, and the note "Witnessed and understood."

Perhaps Maviac can comment?
Probably still good advice on an internal level, but not really relevant under the new US scheme. I’m still not sure if it is good or bad.

Agree with the above.
Poor mans patent. Use it all the time. Lol. Various ways. Are you from New York lol. Best of fortune that you tried a fortune. Most importantly enjoy your doings. Godspeed Droniac

Reactions: JohnnyD913
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54