DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone vs. Police Helicopter in my own hometown

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah i mean you just proved my point about how absurd it is for them to be so hysterical about drones. drones, controlled by intelligent humans, bound by laws, avoidable conflicts = zero recorded strikes. dumb birds, bound by nothing = 665 incidents.

again, here's the quote from the article:

"Every day, when we fly, that’s a question that goes through all of our minds as pilot-in-command — what if somebody’s flying a drone? What if they don’t know how to fly a drone or lose control of the drone? How do we respond?" Lt. Harris said.

Except id argue the intelligence (common sense in particular) of a lot of operators. Large numbers are unaware of the laws and a possibly larger number who ARE aware of the laws choose to selectively ignore them.

There have been recorded strikes with aircraft.

Again simple common sense dictates the more the drone market grows, the more are in the air at once the higher the risk of collision. Risk management is about reducing potential accidents as much as possible. You dont wait until theres an incident before acting, you try to reduce the chance of that first incident happening at all.

"Every day, when we fly, that’s a question that goes through all of our minds as pilot-in-command — what if somebody’s flying a drone? What if they don’t know how to fly a drone or lose control of the drone? How do we respond?" Lt. Harris said.

Which is exactly the attitude id want off pilots or controllers. You're trying to anticipate potential threats and be prepared ahead of time. They're doing that all flight. What if an engine fails here? What if a bird strike is here? What if this happens? Its how you're supposed to act - its called professionalism.

A reporter for WBNS 10TV, one of the stations that originally broke the drone vs. helicopter story here in Columbus, just posted this brief "update" on her Facebook page: "Charges are still pending against the guy accused of flying this drone." Not much, but it's the only recent information I've found on this story.

Larry

I'm sure there are many different facets at play here and if the NTSB is involved (and I hope it's a YES THEY ARE) it will be a slow and methodical investigation.

If 100% identified.......... remove Both of his thumbs. NO, I’m Not kidding and Yes, I am a drone pilot. DJI MP2

Agree Jeff but “those people” don’t endanger a chopper in flight. That POS should Never be able to fly a drone again

You're absolutely correct. They endanger society as a whole not just 2 people in a bird. Simple Kantian ethics!

2 things

1) - a roll of black electrical tape, and there is no story.
2) - more people were killed by Camels yesterday than Drones, (should we cut off the Camel's thumbs?)

Reactions: Jeffm912
You're absolutely correct. They endanger society as a whole not just 2 people in a bird. Simple Kantian ethics!

Jeffm912 is back, or here. Did you ever leave?

edited by me for reality. Article is self evident

Last edited:
The helicopter can fly at low speeds, slow enough for the drone to keep up ;)
It depends how far below the helicopter the drone was, if far enough then the prop wash would have dissipated enough. I'm an airborne infantry vet, I used to dangle under helicopters for a living ;)
As the speed the helicopter was flying isn't noted in the reports I've read, I cannot argue this point. However, it's been a long time since I've seen a police helicopter in my area traveling below 40mph.

If you did serve in the military, thank you for your service. I would have to say, the amount of propwash you felt under that aircraft was probably not enough to disturb you. However, the amount of disturbance it takes to upset our little 1.5lb birds, is not much at all. Perhaps we can find a helicopter and pilot willing to test the theory...

Helicopter pilots all fly drones, So theres no problem :)

I've hung out of a helicopter several times, fully loaded (pack, weapon). Oddly, I don't remember any prop wash at all. But then, there are other things to worry about. One of our guys flipped upside down, due to the weight, and the rope locked up in his D-ring and the helo had to descend to the ground to get him off the rope.

There's a hospital near me that has medical helicopters flying around. They are pretty low, I'm kinda scared to get my drone up too high. There's a zone on my map around their pad, I'm well outside that of course, but still...

Without getting technical, the greatest amount of "prop wash" (lift) is in the middle to ends of the rotor blades. There's usually upward air flow at the rotor hub and aircraft body.

Yes. Or information from what was on the SD card. If the registration were legal, it would have been on the exterior of the drone. To speculate, it seems odd that they mentioned the SD card was obtained if the external registration was used. After all, we know that they should be getting ahold of the owner and confirming ownership before they even touch the drone (as many other members here would tell you how it would work in the real world).

“... confirming ownership before they even touch the drone”??... Seriously?!
It’s evidence seized in a criminal investigation! Whether permitted by statute or under authority of a warrant, it’s going to be examined, and the contents of the card documented by a forensic data analyst. The owner has no say in the matter. That’s how it works in the real world.

I was buying the story till helicopter pilot had to have medical treatment for laser two days earlier. This story smells. Maybe admins want delete this reply

Well, we have no specific data on the nature of his eye injury, nor the treatment required/received.
He may well have been medically cleared shortly after treatment, so your comment is pointless and obtuse.

Reactions: deleted member 877
“... confirming ownership before they even touch the drone”??... Seriously?!
Yeah. I know it does not work that way and point out as such, the info from the FAA can actually harm first responders but those that disagree pointed out that it would work as mentioned... no one would touch the drone until they could personally speak to the owner (in person) and be assured that the drone would not blow up when touched. Again, I know it would not work this way in the real world but "they" disagreed.

It’s evidence seized in a criminal investigation! Whether permitted by statute or under authority of a warrant, it’s going to be examined, and the contents of the card documented by a forensic data analyst. The owner has no say in the matter. That’s how it works in the real world.
Eventually yes, no one disagreed with that. It is just a question as to when it is first touched.

We finally have an update on this story:

Man facing charges in incident involving drone and Columbus police chopper

One item mentioned in the television report, but not in the article: Police tracked down the drone owner using "information on the SIM card."

Larry
Thank you. I've been checking every once in awhile for an update. Unfortunately is us still not clear on how they matched the drone to the person. If I had to guess based on the info available it would either seem that there might have been external info on the drone. Otherwise they should not have touched the drone prior to confirming in person who owed the drone.

Also, flying at night is not illegal as they stated. Not least as I recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty