DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone water crash video & how DJI handled it...

Question. Was the aircraft being brought in for you to catch it,
or still in tracking mode at the time of the swim?

Reactions: CatchMeInTheCreek
Question. Was the aircraft being brought in for you to catch it,
or still in tracking mode at the time of the swim?
It was still in active track trace mode when it did that. Not sure why it came at me like that or even why it was that close at all, very erratic behavior.

Wow, the RTH is solid. You may have been scalped without the fishing pole in the way.

Congrats on a very nice resolution. Check the serial number for the letter “r”. That will tell you if it is a new one or a refurbished one.

DJI should be given credit for this drone replacement. No drone means no replacement, unless you can prove that it was not pilot error.
I had a similar experience of losing my drone in a pond with a muddy bottom. But the pilot that posted the video was well aware that attempting a recovery could be dangerous and made the right choice to submit a warranty claim based upon the data submitted to DJI.
I was able to recover my drone the next day by dragging a super powerful magnet through the muddy bottom, since the motors are attracted to the magnet.
The other option is to use a device called a "Getterback" which is supposed to send a float to the surface once the drone is submerged in more than 10' of water.
The point here is that DJI deserves credit for their replacement with a brand new drone (no "r" in the serial #).

Wow, the RTH is solid. You may have been scalped without the fishing pole in the way.

Congrats on a very nice resolution. Check the serial number for the letter “r”. That will tell you if it is a new one or a refurbished one.
Serial number checks out, not a refurb, thanks for the info. Seeing a drone coming straight at me nose down def isn’t a sight I want to see again haha

Sorry to hear that but very happy that DJI stood up by their product. Little scary thinking it can happen to anyone. Not sure if I have the discipline to have a gopro always filming while using the drone but it is a good idea. Glad I did get the DJI refresh, at least on my first drone. Congratulations on your success story. :)

Well I'll be. Wonder why it came to you like that and hit the fishing pole.

Reactions: CatchMeInTheCreek
That’s the big mystery, I’ve never had it act so erratic it’s usually set it and forget it. I gotta get my confidence back to fly over water now
I know that feeling. It will not be easy to regain confidence after you see your drone do an unexpected dive into water when there is no pilot error.

I have a M2Z that decided to take a swim and since I received a replacement, I am extremely careful to plan my routes over land. When over water, I always try to attach the "Getterback" system so that I can locate and retrieve it should it take another swim.

I also just bought the Mini_2 which will be used in situations where using the M2Z would be risky. I figure the loss of a Mini-2 at roughly 1/3 the price of an M2Z is one way to minimize the risk.

I thought they may have denied the claim because it hit the fishing pole. You got lucky dude, well done!!! Have you seen the Getterback floats? I’ve been using one on my MA2. Goes on the front leg and shoots a small float up to the surface with a Kevlar string allowing you to recover your dead drone in up to 100 feet of water. (Think the newest version goes to 200 feet??) Ironically, they were originally designed to recover fishing poles... getterback.com

Reactions: MA2 317
That’s the big mystery, I’ve never had it act so erratic it’s usually set it and forget it. I gotta get my confidence back to fly over water now
That was my main concern because I am surrounded with water. I have been to Florida several times and see the same problem. I can take mine MA2 to different location but I really wanted to fly it where I am when it is nice out.
I have posted on this forum several times about sigh of relieve when I put this on the drone and was able to land and take from the water.
I really do not understand why anyone would not want one but to each their own.
Yes it does take some time from your flight but I would rather give that up instead of my drone.
I am glad you did get another drone but not everyone will get that lucky.
I think because you do make use of your drone for your passion then DJI did see an opportunity to get free advertisement.
IMG_20200716_154032.jpgIMG_0030.JPG

You should consider the Air 2 Rescue jacket , be alot easier to take off from the Water and get away from the clutter and some freedom
to push the active track without the worry of loosing it , not to mention be able to land it remotely and take off again.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain and Float on water.

I have seen YT videos of AT on earlier models not doing what it should on land, sometimes nearly crashing into the POI.

I suspect the water currents were tricking the VPS, as you were within VPS range. To VPS, water currents can act like people movers. GPS may minimize the VPS stationary error but since you're moving with autonomy, perhaps that's too much.
Sun glare could also be a factor, though that should trigger OA.
Just some thoughts. I would be curious what DJI determined caused this.

I recently posted a video on my experience going through the process of losing a drone. I tried to answer some of the questions I had going into this, mostly - would it get replaced. Let me explain...

Mavic Air 2 MALFUNCTION, Crash's into Water, LOST, & What DJI said...
I fly over water many times. I see others have mentioned the Getterback. I use it all the time. The other day flying over water, sunny day, medium wind and waves. My MA2 in active track mode did seem to be erratic with altitude. The controller showed 7 feet attitude, my observation was that is was more like 15 feet high. When trying to land on the boat, collision avoidance stopped it from getting too close to the boat. I focused on the controller when the MA2 was holding at about 10 feet altitude. While I was turning of collision avoidance my buddies yelled that it was landing. Without looking up I immediate full stick to ascend and it increased altitude. Close call. Later hand landed on the boat.
yes the Getterback was attached and lucky I did not need to test if it works. ?

Reactions: MA2 317
Even after running into that fishing pole, the drone shouldn’t have just tumbled like that. Anyone who’s gone into some minor twigs and branches knows that the drone has a lot more power than that. It’ll power through and recover. That drone seemed to just bump the pole and almost power down completely. Very unusual..

Reactions: Tony McDrone
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzombie