DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s Drone wave surfing, Kalbarri, WA.

John Gowland

Premium Pilot
Reactions
2 views Jul 24, 2022 Exhilaration? Western Australia, July 22. These are the biggest cliffs I have ever seen. Sometimes, the waves are twice as high as this, I will capture them someday. Get good insurance for your drone if you are going to try this and a few hours of practice.
DJI FPV, Mavic Air 2S.
Will go back and get bigger waves in the day time when it is brighter for FPV.

Good to see you’re having fun with the lil bird. Not really small but a big difference than the phantoms. Bit harder to see though. Been enjoying my A2 among the waves too..phantoms getting jealous.

Reactions: John Gowland
Nice mix of FPV and Air 2 footage.

You should get over to Baxter Cliffs, now that is one extensive cliffline, vertical mostly, and spanning 100's of km of southern coastline.

4wd access into there is a must, think you have one capable :)
There aren't too many access points for normal vehicles until into SA and Bunda Cliffs through to head of the bight.

Reactions: John Gowland
2 views Jul 24, 2022 Exhilaration? Western Australia, July 22. These are the biggest cliffs I have ever seen. Sometimes, the waves are twice as high as this, I will capture them someday. Get good insurance for your drone if you are going to try this and a few hours of practice.
DJI FPV, Mavic Air 2S.
Will go back and get bigger waves in the day time when it is brighter for FPV.
Really nice and beautiful scenes! How did you speed up the video? That is an excellent effect. Adds drama to the video when you fly over some of those breaking waves. Not a great place for surfers. lol

Good to see you’re having fun with the lil bird. Not really small but a big difference than the phantoms. Bit harder to see though. Been enjoying my A2 among the waves too..phantoms getting jealous.
Yeh Phantoms just struggle so much in these high winds. MA2S is a lot more stable for these slow shots. Shame though, you do get attached, some times to inanimate objects, weird.

Really nice and beautiful scenes! How did you speed up the video? That is an excellent effect. Adds drama to the video when you fly over some of those breaking waves. Not a great place for surfers. lol
No speeding up, just DJI FPV doing its 100 kl/h thing, love it.

Nice mix of FPV and Air 2 footage.

You should get over to Baxter Cliffs, now that is one extensive cliffline, vertical mostly, and spanning 100's of km of southern coastline.

4wd access into there is a must, think you have one capable :)
There aren't too many access points for normal vehicles until into SA and Bunda Cliffs through to head of the bight.
Mmm 12 hour drive from Perth. Baxter Cliffs 80 metres high, Kalbarri 100 meters high. Will definitely put it on my bucket list MAvic_South_Oz: Are the waves high?

Mmm 12 hour drive from Perth. Baxter Cliffs 80 metres high, Kalbarri 100 meters high. Will definitely put it on my bucket list MAvic_South_Oz: Are the waves high?

Worth it, and being almost dead vertical really look very impressive.
Waves can be high, weren't bad when we went through, but the wind can be frustrating.

I had very strong offshore wind from the north, right off the Nullarbor, and was had to really assess if it was worth putting the M1P up there.
If I went too high above the ground I'm sure it would have been taken out to sea.
Light was awful too, but had to give it a go.

Bugger of it is I uploaded that from somewhere with like 1 bar of mobile and youtube took it in 720 (like a lot of that trip video), and I didn't realise until much later.
We were pretty remote for 5 weeks and didn't have room to keep files too long, so uploaded from wherever I could as I edited.

We drove Twylight Bay right along the cliffs and beaches to Esperance, heck of a first part to our 2018 WA main Pilbara route.

Love remote WA, will do that again sometime.

Worth it, and being almost dead vertical really look very impressive.
Waves can be high, weren't bad when we went through, but the wind can be frustrating.

I had very strong offshore wind from the north, right off the Nullarbor, and was had to really assess if it was worth putting the M1P up there.
If I went too high above the ground I'm sure it would have been taken out to sea.
Light was awful too, but had to give it a go.

Bugger of it is I uploaded that from somewhere with like 1 bar of mobile and youtube took it in 720 (like a lot of that trip video), and I didn't realise until much later.
We were pretty remote for 5 weeks and didn't have room to keep files too long, so uploaded from wherever I could as I edited.

We drove Twylight Bay right along the cliffs and beaches to Esperance, heck of a first part to our 2018 WA main Pilbara route.

Love remote WA, will do that again sometime.
Nullarbor soon, on my bucket list. Need a big drive on the puter and on the road:) But first bucket list is the Gibb River Road, so many offshoots of waterfalls, crock infested rivers and deep gorges.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Well thank you Bilby1. You are polite some would say reckless and I would see that but it is only my drone that was in danger. I have double insurance and have been OCD with this drone, five batteries and a portable solar generator so I can charge continually and fly continually which I frequently do. The thing is that FPV is so fast it bursts through the spray. One day a big one will get me :) Saying that I will never get anywhere near some of these pro flyers. They are not human. The MA 2S doesn't need to get as close.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom