DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone won't descend

Merrill277

Reactions
So I have a replacement MA2. Recently, whenever I hit RTH, or allow RTH to bring it home after battery goes low I have the following problem. Drone returns to spot directly over Home. No matter the height, instead of descending it sits there and hovers in place. At that point I cannot get her down so I cancel the RTH and try to drop it manually, however the controller will not move it down either. Then after a time, the battery gets low and it goes into critical mode and drops quickly. Scary right? Yes I have all the latest firmware updates and have recalibrated everything at least twice. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

• Wow
Reactions: RayKelly
What happens if you
a) bring the drone home manually or,
b) prior to a low battery RTH starting, RTH manually and then (try to) descend or
c) if you cancel the low battery RTH (can you?) before it is above the homepoint and then try to descend?
Do you see any messages that give any clues?
There is at least one "MA2 will not descend thread during RTH" in here Can't ascend/descend while RTH but I do not have an MA2 so haven't gone all the way through it...yet...... but it looks to be a bit of a frightener although it might be dealing with a slightly different situation.

Reactions: gope_53
Are you using a landing pad? (dumb question I know but...)
In addition, does it have any extra mods like lights, camera, hook? This could alter the landing weight calculations

I hope it is not the latest and greatest. Iwill monitor this thread for updates.
It Could also mean that the radio altimeter is getting faulty metrics see previous statement.

For now, bring an air cushion , dont let it drop.
Wishing you a speedy solution.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
So I have a replacement MA2. Recently, whenever I hit RTH, or allow RTH to bring it home after battery goes low I have the following problem. Drone returns to spot directly over Home. No matter the height, instead of descending it sits there and hovers in place. At that point I cannot get her down so I cancel the RTH and try to drop it manually, however the controller will not move it down either. Then after a time, the battery gets low and it goes into critical mode and drops quickly. Scary right? Yes I have all the latest firmware updates and have recalibrated everything at least twice. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Post your recorded flight data and it might have some clues about what the issue is.

No. Was flying about 600' away at about 200'. When Air 2 wouldn't follow my commands. Finally RTH on own. Also noticed zoom feature unavailable. Had recently updated firmware. So Uninstalled Fly app and reinstalled. Been working good for a while

No. Was flying about 600' away at about 200'. When Air 2 wouldn't follow my commands. Finally RTH on own. Also noticed zoom feature unavailable. Had recently updated firmware. So Uninstalled Fly app and reinstalled. Been working good for a while
Thanks I am gonna try that next.

Are you using a landing pad? (dumb question I know but...)
In addition, does it have any extra mods like lights, camera, hook? This could alter the landing weight calculations

I hope it is not the latest and greatest. Iwill monitor this thread for updates.
It Could also mean that the radio altimeter is getting faulty metrics see previous statement.

For now, bring an air cushion , dont let it drop.
Wishing you a speedy solution.
Thanks for that great suggestion, Its cheap insurance right?

Try turning off obstacle avoidance and landing protection. Sounds like it is falsely detecting an obstruction below it, that it "thinks" would prevent a safe landing. Clean the downward sensors, as well.
Thanks will do!

What happens if you
a) bring the drone home manually or,
b) prior to a low battery RTH starting, RTH manually and then (try to) descend or
c) if you cancel the low battery RTH (can you?) before it is above the homepoint and then try to descend?
Do you see any messages that give any clues?
There is at least one "MA2 will not descend thread during RTH" in here Can't ascend/descend while RTH but I do not have an MA2 so haven't gone all the way through it...yet...... but it looks to be a bit of a frightener although it might be dealing with a slightly different situation.
Thanks, I will try all those things until something works!

What's DJI saying?

Thanks, I will try all those things until something works!
I don't understand that approach.
You want to try all kinds of random suggestions from from people who are just guessing, rather than identify that actual cause of the issue and address that?
Why not post your flight data to see if that helps identify the problem first?

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

Reactions: dawgpilot
I've often wondered in the past why some people are so hesitant to post their flight log... then it occurred to me:

Maybe for privacy reasons, if they're flying from their backyard, they don't want to make their lat./long. public?

IDK, if I had a real problem that required expert log analysis. I'd try and figure out a way around that... or just post the dang log anyway.

I've often wondered in the past why some people are so hesitant to post their flight log... then it occurred to me:

Maybe for privacy reasons, if they're flying from their backyard, they don't want to make their lat./long. public?

IDK, if I had a real problem that required expert log analysis. I'd try and figure out a way around that... or just post the dang log anyway.
I dont think so, you can hide any personal info in the flight log...if you are speaking for AirData sharing...

1628063103141.png

"don't want to make their lat./long. public?"

That cat is already out of the bag.

Between Google, online directories, and county tax maps, you can look up an address for just about anyone. Lat/Lon are easy to get by viewing the address in Google Earth.

I think the process of downloading and posting the flight data is intimidating to many folks.

Between Google, online directories, and county tax maps, you can look up an address for just about anyone.
But you don't know my real name. How is anyone going to 'google' me or look up my address on the tax directory unless they have at least that? If you have my lat/long it would be easy to find my physical (mailing) address... and with that, anything/everything else.

My screen name is not linked to my real identity in any way. Sure, admin has my IP address... but if I wanted I could VPN myself through Europe or anywhere else.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gplunk99