DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dronelink announces support for Mini 3 and Mini 3 Pro

The big question for me is whether the new Mini 3 SDK will enable the drone to continue flying waypoint missions even after signal connectivity between the drone and the controller is broken. In other words, I am straining to hear whether all GPS data is uploaded to the drone at the start of each waypoint mission, or whether the drone cannot store GPS data, and will thus RTH the instant that RC signal to the drone is lost.

My newly ordered Mini 3 is due to arrive next week, so I am really anxious to know whether it will have beyond RC signal range waypoint following capability. I will be watching this thread closely to find out if anyone arrives at the answer to this question.

The big question for me is whether the new Mini 3 SDK will enable the drone to continue flying waypoint missions even after signal connectivity between the drone and the controller is broken. In other words, I am straining to hear whether all GPS data is uploaded to the drone at the start of each waypoint mission, or whether the drone cannot store GPS data, and will thus RTH the instant that RC signal to the drone is lost.

My newly ordered Mini 3 is due to arrive next week, so I am really anxious to know whether it will have beyond RC signal range waypoint following capability. I will be watching this thread closely to find out if anyone arrives at the answer to this question.
Nope, it can't upload waypoints to the drone -- there's no firmware on board to handle that. DJI could make that possible with a firmware update, but I seriously doubt that they will.

Nope, it can't upload waypoints to the drone -- there's no firmware on board to handle that. DJI could make that possible with a firmware update, but I seriously doubt that they will.
Aaargh drat and double drat, as Mr. Dastardly might say. I'd hoped that DJI would change their stance and allow all waypoint GPS coordinates to be stored on board the Mini 3 prior to departure on waypoint missions. I ordered my Mini 3, with a couple of the extra capacity "Plus" batteries the instant I learned that the SDK was due for imminent release, but it was only after I'd shelled out the purchase price that I learned to my utter dismay that it was unlikely the Mini 3 SDK would permit beyond RC signal waypoint missions.

Aaargh drat and double drat, as Mr. Dastardly might say. I'd hoped that DJI would change their stance and allow all waypoint GPS coordinates to be stored on board the Mini 3 prior to departure on waypoint missions. I ordered my Mini 3, with a couple of the extra capacity "Plus" batteries the instant I learned that the SDK was due for imminent release, but it was only after I'd shelled out the purchase price that I learned to my utter dismay that it was unlikely the Mini 3 SDK would permit beyond RC signal waypoint missions.
It's not really an SDK issue; the only drones that can do that are the ones with built-in support for waypoint missions through the DJI app, and the Mini is not one of those. The SDK just allows other apps to make use of the functionality that's available to the DJI apps.

This is great news! I have downloaded the APK and installed it on my RC Pro and played around in the app and it seems to work great. It's fast and responsive. Can't wait to actually try it out. One of the reason's I bought the RC Pro was in the hope that DJI would release the SDK to third party flight app developers so that I could take advantage of their unique features.

I have used Dronelink for a number of years with my older drones so this is welcome news as I can now use it with my Mini 3 Pro. All my previously saved missions are accessible and available. The fact that Dronelink has always used virtual sticks has never bothered me as I don't fly my drone out of VLOS anyway so it is not a concern - I like the virtually limitless customization available.

I think the reason Litchi is not out yet with a version that supports the Mini 3 is because it relies on the Play Store for sale and distribution and needs the Play Store installed to run safety checks for the licence, so that means only iOS/Android devices like phones and tablets that would use the basic RC-N1 controller would be able to be used. At the present time the RC Pro could not be used since it can not install the Play Store unless Litchi releases a new APK.

Chris

Reactions: Logger
I would really like to use this. In fact that is why I am back on the forums today after a 6 month absence, just to see if my Mini 3 pro supports any mapping apps yet.

Any how I have the RC controller so no joy there. Are there any rumour of being opened to allow for third party apps? Unlikely I guess and not anytime soon.

So for me, seems the logical this to do is scrounge second hand RC-N1 and us my phone. Just cant spring the coin for a RC-Pro just yet. Would this make sense?

This is great news! I have downloaded the APK and installed it on my RC Pro and played around in the app and it seems to work great. It's fast and responsive. Can't wait to actually try it out. One of the reason's I bought the RC Pro was in the hope that DJI would release the SDK to third party flight app developers so that I could take advantage of their unique features.

I have used Dronelink for a number of years with my older drones so this is welcome news as I can now use it with my Mini 3 Pro. All my previously saved missions are accessible and available. The fact that Dronelink has always used virtual sticks has never bothered me as I don't fly my drone out of VLOS anyway so it is not a concern - I like the virtually limitless customization available.

I think the reason Litchi is not out yet with a version that supports the Mini 3 is because it relies on the Play Store for sale and distribution and needs the Play Store installed to run safety checks for the licence, so that means only iOS/Android devices like phones and tablets that would use the basic RC-N1 controller would be able to be used. At the present time the RC Pro could not be used since it can not install the Play Store unless Litchi releases a new APK.

Chris
That's not why Litchi isn't available. Anyone can sideload an app to their Android and iPhone. Litchi has the capability as most any software developer worth their salt knows how to create apks for downloading by passing the Play Store. The number one reason Litchi is not available is because DJI doesn't want it available for these variations of their drones. They want the control.

That's not why Litchi isn't available. Anyone can sideload an app to their Android and iPhone. Litchi has the capability as most any software developer worth their salt knows how to create apks for downloading by passing the Play Store.
Yes, I know Litchi is available for both iOS and Android - I have had Litchi on my iPhones for years and more recently have purchased it for Android so that I can use it on an Android tablet that I sometimes use with my older drones.

The point I was trying to make is that Litchi cannot yet easily be installed on the RC Pro controller (the version purchased through the Play Store) because the Play Store cannot be installed on the RC Pro without installing a work-around or a hack. I have heard that it can be installed through the Amazon Store but you have to purchase it again, something I am not willing to do at this time.

Going forward if Litchi wants to make their product available to more devices like the RC Pro they are probably going to have to release an APK (like Dronelink) otherwise they will be leaving out a whole subset of users who use these devices or DJI is going to have to allow the Play Store to be installed on the RC Pro.

The number one reason Litchi is not available is because DJI doesn't want it available for these variations of their drones. They want the control.
If this was the case then why have they released it for Dronelink?

Here is the link to the Litchi Utilities support page that displays the current status of the support for waypoints on various drones. Note that for the Mini 3 drones the SDK is in progress but they are not yet supported.

Chris

Yes, I know Litchi is available for both iOS and Android - I have had Litchi on my iPhones for years and more recently have purchased it for Android so that I can use it on an Android tablet that I sometimes use with my older drones.

The point I was trying to make is that Litchi cannot yet easily be installed on the RC Pro controller (the version purchased through the Play Store) because the Play Store cannot be installed on the RC Pro without installing a work-around or a hack. I have heard that it can be installed through the Amazon Store but you have to purchase it again, something I am not willing to do at this time.

Going forward if Litchi wants to make their product available to more devices like the RC Pro they are probably going to have to release an APK (like Dronelink) otherwise they will be leaving out a whole subset of users who use these devices or DJI is going to have to allow the Play Store to be installed on the RC Pro.

Here is the link to the Litchi Utilities support page that displays the current status of the support for waypoints on various drones. Note that for the Mini 3 drones the SDK is in progress but they are not yet supported.

Chris
As far DJI not allowing Litchi specifically for the Mavic 3 pro There's an entire thread on this. Who knows though, what is what. All we know essentially are the direct statements made by DJI on the matter.

As far DJI not allowing Litchi specifically for the Mavic 3 pro There's an entire thread on this. Who knows though, what is what. All we know essentially are the direct statements made by DJI on the matter.
There is already onboard support for Waypoints through the Fly App so it is unlikely that there will ever be an SDK released. There are many topic threads that have been discussing this for quite some time.

Chris

Chris
Litchi is available for the RC Pro, but you have to use Amazon to purchase it. The Amazon app will work, but Play Store will not.

Reactions: Chrislaf
Litchi is available for the RC Pro, but you have to use Amazon to purchase it. The Amazon app will work, but Play Store will not.
But that would mean purchasing Litchi a third time - I think I’ll pass. Regardless it’s not yet compatible with the Mini 3.

Chris

Hi guys. We are looking to do some high-precision reality mapping with a mini pro 3 (its likely our only option in the environment we are working in). Can someone tell me with Dronelink the flight height (above the roof) to get a GSD of about 0.18cm/px. Trying to work this out but lens specs are difficult to find for my calculator. Another question is how long would say 500m2 take with 75% overlap.
Thanks for helping!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure