DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dronelink thoughts?

Holdenfish

Reactions
Hello to everybody I'm currently flying my mavic Air 2 in the mountains in Northern New Mexico I've been using drone link for awhile, however I think it's going to take me much more time to really get a grasp on this planning software. Later today I'm going to drop a route on my PC and try to transfer it through my drone Link account does anybody know if it will directly link to my flight software on my tablet I imagine so since it's the same just curious.

I'd be really interested to know what everybody thinks of drone link and how it's going if anybody has tips I sure would appreciate it I'm really enjoying this.

Thanks for any help or opinions

Hello to everybody I'm currently flying my mavic Air 2 in the mountains in Northern New Mexico I've been using drone link for awhile, however I think it's going to take me much more time to really get a grasp on this planning software. Later today I'm going to drop a route on my PC and try to transfer it through my drone Link account does anybody know if it will directly link to my flight software on my tablet I imagine so since it's the same just curious.

I'd be really interested to know what everybody thinks of drone link and how it's going if anybody has tips I sure would appreciate it I'm really enjoying this.

hi. I’m new to Dronelink and have a MA2 also but I’ve enjoying my planning with Dronelink so far.

not sure if this is what you’re asking or not but if you have a plan in your repository on your PC it will also automatically be in that repository when you sign into Dronelink with your phone or tablet - no syncing or copying necessary. I believe the plans don’t actually reside on your hardware but on the Dronelink servers so everything is accessible everywhere.

BTW I had family that spent about 40 years in the mountains south of Angel Fire. Beautiful country. Lots to photograph.

You will need to have the Dronelink app on your device that controls your MA2, sign into it and load your preplanned mission and then fly it from Dronelink.
If the area you are going into does not have internet available there is a feature on Dronlink to down load the mission onto your device so you can fly the mission. I have not used this feature so can not comment on it.

I find Dronelink is better for me than free style flying in many ways.

I am a complete convert to Dronelink. I use it with a Mavic Mini and it has been a daily passion that has kept me sane during the lockdown here in the UK. Firstly, when you work with a Dronelink program it files each addition/amendment immediately to The Cloud. It will then download to any of your computers/tablets. So access to the internet is essential. I, too, haven't tried to download a program to use when out of phone contact. You link your tablet WiFi to your mobile and it doesn't need to be a strong signal.

It is also important to have a continuous signal from the RC to the drone (well, with a Mini anyway). Yesterday I was filming around the perimeter of a 4-acre property and at one point the path faltered because there was a large oak tree between me and the drone. You get my drift!

Dronelink is demanding but I suspect that is why it is so flexible. Being able to plan ahead with a mini is great - sit in the warm and do it all in your own time! I hope you'll keep in contact with any issues you find. To date, the failures and frustrations I have in getting the software to behave has always proven to be my lack of knowledge. When I have got it right, this software has never let me down or given me any nasty surprises. Yes, you have to work at it but, IMHO, it's worth every minute!

Good luck, Mike

hi. I’m new to Dronelink and have a MA2 also but I’ve enjoying my planning with Dronelink so far.

not sure if this is what you’re asking or not but if you have a plan in your repository on your PC it will also automatically be in that repository when you sign into Dronelink with your phone or tablet - no syncing or copying necessary. I believe the plans don’t actually reside on your hardware but on the Dronelink servers so everything is accessible everywhere.

BTW I had family that spent about 40 years in the mountains south of Angel Fire. Beautiful country. Lots to photograph.
Angel Fire is My home 28 years now.Thx for your reply. Works perfectly just as I mentioned.

Enjoy the sky!

I was using Litchi with my Mavic Air and found it fine. I moved to the Mavic Air 2 and discovered that it wasn't supported.
So, I started with Dronelink. I found the program a bit tough to grasp initially, but now have a good working understanding of it.
There are tons of detailed training videos on every aspect of it. Now love the power and flexibility as well as being able to create reusable content I can plug into my flight plans and not have to recreate from scratch each time.
Their support is first class. I had a couple "newbie" questions and had a response within a couple of hours from the company owner.
If you have the patience to learn how to use it, you won't regret.

You will need to have the Dronelink app on your device that controls your MA2, sign into it and load your preplanned mission and then fly it from Dronelink.
If the area you are going into does not have internet available there is a feature on Dronlink to down load the mission onto your device so you can fly the mission. I have not used this feature so can not comment on it.

I find Dronelink is better for me than free style flying in many ways.
Does anyone know how Dronelink differs from DroneDeploy? Or Pix4D for that matter?
I take it Dronelink works with Mavic Air 2. Please confirm.

I just loaded Dronelink onto both my PC and Android phone. I set up a project on my PC and it automatically appeared on my phone.
However, watching the introductory links, I learned that one has to be familiar with a certain programming language to use it. If true, that kills it for me and, perhaps, others as well. Can anyone provide further clarification? DroneDeploy and Pix4D are each more straightforward.

I just loaded Dronelink onto both my PC and Android phone. I set up a project on my PC and it automatically appeared on my phone.
However, watching the introductory links, I learned that one has to be familiar with a certain programming language to use it. If true, that kills it for me and, perhaps, others as well. Can anyone provide further clarification? DroneDeploy and Pix4D are each more straightforward.

Definitely do not need programming experience to use Dronelink.

Do need to watch some of the videos in the Dronelink 101 series to learn how to properly use it.

Reactions: Holdenfish
Brother I know no other language than turn on the darn thing and go to work. my programs for my PC directly linked to my Android device and fly without a hitch. take your time and have a good time the learning curve is a little brutal. if I can be any help let me know.

Enjoy the sky!

Does anyone know how Dronelink differs from DroneDeploy? Or Pix4D for that matter?
I take it Dronelink works with Mavic Air 2. Please confirm.
Thanks for the responses egoldy, Holdenfish!

Hello Ron,
MA2 is supported. No programming is required. We are working on some updated getting started content based on user feedback.
DroneDeploy and Pix4D have some basic flight capabilities, but they have a much larger focus on data processing. Dronelink does not do data processing and has much more advanced flight capabilities, and also supports the MA2, Mini due to virtual stick. We have an integration with Pix4D.
Best

Hi, I use Dronelink quite a bit, especially to plan and preview my route. It has however failed few times in execution, the error was that the drone was too far off the course. I'm not sure if the issue is with Dronelink or with GPS of my drone, but when this happens I usually fly the rest of the mission manually following the planned route. What I'm missing in Dronelink though (or maybe I haven't found the right feature) is manual yaw and gimbal control while flying waypoints. It's nice to be able to pre-program everything, but sometimes you need to change something slightly and would not want to do it in the actual mission, but while flying.
Please, let me know if I missed this option somewhere

I bought Dronelink for my MA2 and have been playing with it's features on my PC but haven't taken flight with it yet. I tried to leave a comment in the Dronelink Feature Request forums but it says I have an Invalid authenticity token. My recommendation (unless I'm missing it as a feature) is with Drone Heading. While having the map up, it would be cool to see a compass with degrees on it so you can select the exact direction you want to use. I know you can enter in degrees in the selection box but having that ability on the virtual map would seem a lot faster.

Thanks for the responses egoldy, Holdenfish!

Hello Ron,
MA2 is supported. No programming is required. We are working on some updated getting started content based on user feedback.
DroneDeploy and Pix4D have some basic flight capabilities, but they have a much larger focus on data processing. Dronelink does not do data processing and has much more advanced flight capabilities, and also supports the MA2, Mini due to virtual stick. We have an integration with Pix4D.
Best
Thank you. It seems that I did not ask the correct question.
I only use the free versions of DroneDeploy and Pix4D to take photos. I do processing with "Agisoft Metashape."
My question should have been, "How does Dronelink differ from DroneDeploy and Pix4D in the planning and actual taking of the photos? Among other things, the setting of overlaps front and side...and recommended AGL for taking photos.
Btw...I have purchased the Mapping Version of Dronelink. I guess that is the area of Dronelink for which I would like comparisons.

Thank you. It seems that I did not ask the correct question.
I only use the free versions of DroneDeploy and Pix4D to take photos. I do processing with "Agisoft Metashape."
My question should have been, "How does Dronelink differ from DroneDeploy and Pix4D in the planning and actual taking of the photos? Among other things, the setting of overlaps front and side...and recommended AGL for taking photos.
Btw...I have purchased the Mapping Version of Dronelink. I guess that is the area of Dronelink for which I would like comparisons.

There are a few differences:
  • Dronelink uses virtual stick, instead of uploading waypoints to the drone, allowing us to control drones such as the Mavic Mini and Mavic Air 2 (not possible in the other apps). This also gives us access to features such as Adaptive Flight as mentioned earlier in the thread.
  • Another major difference is the ability to fly other types of missions (facades, 360s photo, video and image paths) together with the map mission all in one. You'll need to upgrade from the Mapper account into Elite.
  • Pix4D does not have terrain follow
You can control the settings you want under the map component (overlap, sidelap)

As for terrain follow you can control on that on your mission plan settings, set the reference to ground level.

Looking to get into some mapping with my Air2 and Dronelink Elite seems the right package I would need as its just a hobby not commercial. Not in a big rush and just looking into and was wondering if there are any sales on it coming up before I drop 99 USD on it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929