DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drones already a problem at the Super Bowl

I live 15 miles west of Mercedes Benz stadium in Atlanta. The air traffic in the area has been unbelievable over the past week. I’ve spotted several aircraft at low altitudes that I know were below 400 feet. There’s a heliport where they do a lot of maintainence/inspections about a mile from me and they have been very busy as well. I also got to watch the Thunderbirds doing maneuvers before their flyover.

When the NOTAM was issued I complied as we all should. I really don’t understand why so many people on this board complain about rules set by the FAA. Do you as a drone operator (I don’t believe you are pilots) really think you are above the law and therefore don’t have to listen to any warnings? Because of reckless behavior of some I think this industry as a whole is suffering dearly. Those of us who are trying to scratch out a living doing drone work are being stifled because of the callous actions of a large number of idiots.
Agreed totally and I do believe that these who don't compliance with rules established by the FAA, will soon learn hard when the FBI show up in their house.

I find it interesting Well, it turns out those "lanterns" were actually drones - 150 Intel Shooting Star drones, to be exact. This isn't the first time drones have been used at the Super Bowl. Lady Gaga used drones during her halftime performance at Super Bowl LI in 2017. Just saying!

I was on a business trip last week and had the good fortune to sit next to a young pilot who was commuting to the airport I was flying into. He was into Harley’s but we also talked about drone flying. He mentioned that newer drones all have a chip that limits altitude. However, older drones do not. Older drones are also less high-techy, so their functionality and maneuverability is more limited which potentially makes them more dangerous. I asked if he had any issues with airborne drones when flying a jet. He said no. He did mention the FAA has guidelines for drones. He believed all drone pilots needed to get an FAA license but was not positive. I’m not positive either. I suspect if a drone pilot has plans to use the drone professionally, then an FAA license may be necessary. I also learned how to get 60 free minutes of WiFi while in flight. Very worthwhile!

Could you share how to get 60 min of free WiFi?

I always view Tfr’s on skyvector.com. When you click on the Tfr it links directly to the specified notam.

Where do others find Tfr?

While there may be some blanket Tfr that covers all stadiums listed above, there is indeed a separate Tfr and notam created for each event.

Pilots don’t have to know there is a game next Sunday at a stadium in Cleveland with seating for 30k. All they have to do is see that there is a Tfr scheduled for that area next Sunday and check the appropriate notam.

*edit to add* the correct answer for the part 107 test is 1800wxbrief.com.....but reality is that this website is archaic and difficult to navigate.

I think you are incorrect about this: there typically isn't a separate TFR created for each stadium. It's a blanket TFR that applies to stadiums that meet the criteria. Sites like Skyvector have done the hard work of figuring out stadium capacities and sports schedules so as to display them on their map.

This actually has been a major complaint by pilots since there isn't an easy "official" FAA source to determine when these restrictions are in place.

I will just post my thoughts within the original articles in red. I dont understand how this is even a conversation about rules and not about the outright fear mongering and anti drone propaganda.....

I'm crossing my fingers that we get through Sunday's Super Bowl without any major incidents, but this doesn't leave me optimistic:

A deluge of drones fly over Super Bowl stadium, despite ban

By JEFF MARTIN

1 of 4
The sun sets behind Mercedes-Benz Stadium ahead of Sunday's NFL Super Bowl 53 football game between the Los Angeles Rams and New England Patriots in Atlanta, Wednesday, Jan. 30, 2019. (AP Photo/David Goldman)

ATLANTA (AP) — The sky above the stadium that will host Sunday’s Super Bowl is being “inundated” with an alarming number of drones, raising the specter of injuries to tourists or others — or a possible collision with aircraft, the FBI said Friday.

"inundated with an alarming number of drones" LOL! What is that number really?

That’s despite an ongoing restriction that bans the use of drones in the area of Mercedes-Benz Stadium downtown.

Officers on Thursday confiscated a half-dozen drones that were flown near the stadium, FBI spokesman Kevin Rowson said Friday at the agency’s Atlanta field office. The cases will be referred to federal prosecutors for possible charges; the drone pilots could face jail time and fines, Rowson said.

“If these drones go out of control — if a pilot loses control of one — they can go into a crowd and cause serious injuries,” Rowson said.

Although, one needs to define the term "serious injury" is it bad bruises or bloodletting? Because I am not aware of a single life threatening/changing injury caused by any drone, EVER!

The potential for terrorism is also a concern.

“When we look up into the air and see a drone flying in the air, we have no idea if it’s friendly, or if it’s someone who has nefarious plans and it’s weaponized,” he added.

In recent days, multiple helicopters have been patrolling the air space above the stadium and surrounding area, often swooping below the tops of Atlanta’s downtown buildings as part of a massive security operation.

“A drone impact with a fixed-wing aircraft or a helicopter would be catastrophic,” FBI Special Agent John Cronier said.

LOL! because that is always the concern.... Even when when the try to scientifically prove it, the best they have got was "damage similar to a birdstrike of similar size" and NEVER a catastrophic damage event. it has not been proved that drones will bring down aircraft easier than any other animal or device of the same size. it is also Extremely unlikely to even happen even if one tried to hit an aircraft with a drone on purpose.

Moreover, policing illegal drones is pulling officers away from other duties, Rowson said.

“It has taken up a lot of time for our agents and for law enforcement officers to be targeting these drones when they could be working on other security measures,” he said.

Wasted time, that could have been used preventing robberies and ticket scammers on the site.

In December, hundreds of flights were canceled and more than 100,000 people were stranded or delayed after drones were spotted near the runway at Gatwick Airport outside London.

Last month, Southwest Airlines and United Airlines pilots encountered a drone around 3,500 feet (1,000 meters) above Teterboro, New Jersey. That resulted in dozens of delays at nearby Newark Liberty International Airport.
Again, give me a break...... there has NEVER been a collision that amounted to more than non threatening dents and scratches to an aircraft. It can cause damage, yes, but the chance of causing a crash is just speculation and has not, to date even been proven to be a legitimate possibility.

To clarify, I am not saying that any drone use in that area was acceptable at all. Only that they were done by idiots. It bothers me that they portray drones as lethal weapons every chance they get, and that has NEVER been proven to be the case.

Reactions: pftarch and NetDep
So as expected this is the just usual trolling game - make completely unsupported assertions and then, when asked to back them up, try to hide the fact that you are completely devoid of arguments by suggesting it was stupid to ask. Do you think that anyone buys that, or do you just not care?
Theres hundreds of examples just google FBI violates your rights. Im not going to go find all this stuff for you I read it on the news every day were the FBI screws over law abiding citizens. Why don't you go look before you chastise me gessh

Theres hundreds of examples just google FBI violates your rights. Im not going to go find all this stuff for you I read it on the news every day were the FBI screws over law abiding citizens. Why don't you go look before you chastise me gessh

Of course you read about every day. Sure you do. You just can't quite manage even a single example to cite. Clueless.

I find it interesting Well, it turns out those "lanterns" were actually drones - 150 Intel Shooting Star drones, to be exact. This isn't the first time drones have been used at the Super Bowl. Lady Gaga used drones during her halftime performance at Super Bowl LI in 2017. Just saying!
Super Bowl 2019 Drone Show

Simple ignorance of the law is probably the most likely explanation. Not giving a **** may also be an issue.
A suspect you're on point. Straight up "Not giving a shizz" sounds about right. Someone else pointed out "Common sense ain't so common" and I agree. There is another attitude my wife observed - a profound sense of entitlement = seen even on this forum. Someone complained that cops shouldn't treat the guy harshly - while being a asshat to the cop. I simply don't get how someone would prioritize capturing video over the safety of another person.

Its exactly the same thing. if your using something illegally weather a drone or a gun the police have the right to confiscate it.

So... your saying if I do something illegal, mind numbingly stupid, endanger countless others and (referring back to the stupid part) get caught - The Police will take away my toy? How long until they give it back? I want to follow planes landing at the airport.

I'm calling shenanigans.

I'm crossing my fingers that we get through Sunday's Super Bowl without any major incidents, but this doesn't leave me optimistic:

By JEFF MARTIN

1 of 4
The sun sets behind Mercedes-Benz Stadium ahead of Sunday's NFL Super Bowl 53 football game between the Los Angeles Rams and New England Patriots in Atlanta, Wednesday, Jan. 30, 2019. (AP Photo/David Goldman)

ATLANTA (AP) — The sky above the stadium that will host Sunday’s Super Bowl is being “inundated” with an alarming number of drones, raising the specter of injuries to tourists or others — or a possible collision with aircraft, the FBI said Friday.

That’s despite an ongoing restriction that bans the use of drones in the area of Mercedes-Benz Stadium downtown.

Officers on Thursday confiscated a half-dozen drones that were flown near the stadium, FBI spokesman Kevin Rowson said Friday at the agency’s Atlanta field office. The cases will be referred to federal prosecutors for possible charges; the drone pilots could face jail time and fines, Rowson said.

“If these drones go out of control — if a pilot loses control of one — they can go into a crowd and cause serious injuries,” Rowson said.

The potential for terrorism is also a concern.

“When we look up into the air and see a drone flying in the air, we have no idea if it’s friendly, or if it’s someone who has nefarious plans and it’s weaponized,” he added.

In recent days, multiple helicopters have been patrolling the air space above the stadium and surrounding area, often swooping below the tops of Atlanta’s downtown buildings as part of a massive security operation.

“A drone impact with a fixed-wing aircraft or a helicopter would be catastrophic,” FBI Special Agent John Cronier said.

Moreover, policing illegal drones is pulling officers away from other duties, Rowson said.

“It has taken up a lot of time for our agents and for law enforcement officers to be targeting these drones when they could be working on other security measures,” he said.

In December, hundreds of flights were canceled and more than 100,000 people were stranded or delayed after drones were spotted near the runway at Gatwick Airport outside London.

Last month, Southwest Airlines and United Airlines pilots encountered a drone around 3,500 feet (1,000 meters) above Teterboro, New Jersey. That resulted in dozens of delays at nearby Newark Liberty International Airport.
3500 feet ? No problem. Catch the pilot and sentence him to 3500 days behind bars......... in Leavenworth ...... ZERO TOLERANCE on these people

So... your saying if I do something illegal, mind numbingly stupid, endanger countless others and (referring back to the stupid part) get caught - The Police will take away my toy? How long until they give it back? I want to follow planes landing at the airport.

I'm calling shenanigans.
Hope they never give it back and lock you dumbA$$ up to boot

Man, I new to this forum and I’m just surprised at all the Drone Police out there... this really sucks, three comments to add:
1- If someone violated the airspace they should be fined, that the way it is with all pilots, end of discussion.
2- Before any makes a blasting comments after the facts, they should have the facts, there where at least when I looked into this news for my local papers, more than 15 authorized flights with in the TFRs, (from memory) and the news became a non news.
3- After the fact, we need to stop making all these “what if” scenarios, this is sensacionalism and it just does not help the fact

Not sure about all the fuss, let’s collaborate to make this a community to share and be inclusive to get more people on the air, else we are all going to end up ground it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato