DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drones and Military Jets

Bigbird48

Reactions
I was in the Tonto National Forest the other day flying over the lake at about 300 feet when an F-35 came out of nowhere at about the same height . The lake is long and narrow at this spot and is between 2 mountains. I think the F-35 was following the lake path when he came around the corner and into my flight path.. I swear it was pretty close, at least from my perspective. I had no time to move down or anything.
I'm curious if that F-35 could detect my little drone at 400mph? Also wonder what the consequences are if he hit my drone, is the Air Force going to cover my loss . I seriously doubt that my drone could hurt him.

Reactions: AgPhotoWings
Would be a long uphill battle to have the US Air Force compensate you for a downed Mavic Pro. It would be however a very short call to Statefarm Insurance to cover the downed bird.

That is if you had a personal article policy for $5.00 a month.

Reactions: Former Member
Why would you even be flying there in the first place?
When flying a drone over national forest lands, you are required to yield to manned aircraft... period.Tonto National Forest - Home
Your flying below 2,000' AGL,Phoenix SEC 99.jpg
You're flying in a clearly marked Bald Eagle Breeding area.AZGFD.gov Outdoor recreationists, pilots and drone operators are asked to avoid bald eagle nest areas during breeding seasonPhoenix SEC 99.jpg
  • Statewide – The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has established a 2000-foot above ground level (AGL) advisory along the Salt and Verde river drainages. When traveling in these drainages or near riparian habitat statewide, aircraft should maintain a minimum of 2000-foot AGL to ensure compliance with state and federal law.

Why would I fly there? Why wouldn't I fly there is the question?. Its perfectly legal to fly there and a beautiful place to fly
No it wasn't Maverick he busy making a new Top Gun movie right now and not near AZ
and the 2000 agl is for manned aircraft not drones. This area seems to be in a Military training flight path , but there are no restrictions on drones.
Oh and the map someone posted is no where near where I was flying LOL

Why would you even be flying there in the first place?
When flying a drone over national forest lands, you are required to yield to manned aircraft... period.Tonto National Forest - Home
Your flying below 2,000' AGL,View attachment 40228
You're flying in a clearly marked Bald Eagle Breeding area.AZGFD.gov Outdoor recreationists, pilots and drone operators are asked to avoid bald eagle nest areas during breeding seasonView attachment 40228
  • Statewide – The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has established a 2000-foot above ground level (AGL) advisory along the Salt and Verde river drainages. When traveling in these drainages or near riparian habitat statewide, aircraft should maintain a minimum of 2000-foot AGL to ensure compliance with state and federal law.
If all of that is true... The better question would be, why was a jet flying there?

Reactions: Brandaloo and JDawg
Drones have right of way over absolutely nobody.
If you are hit it is your problem, and the problem may get a lot bigger if there is damage to the other aircraft.
The only possible exception would be if the manned aircraft was operating carelessly or recklessly.

skylane you haven't made a relevant point yet. you post a map of an area that I was nowhere near. you post a link to NFS that says its perfectly fine to fly there, you say I'm below AGL of 2000 ' yes I'm not allowed above 400 feet from ground.You say I'm in a clearly marked bald eagle breeding area which I'n not and even if I was its only during breeding season which its not. You say drones have to yield to manned aircraft which may be true but the link you posted doesn't say that anywhere, so again what was the point.??Seems like your just spouting off about something you know nothing about,. posting maps and links that that you think confirm your post but in reality don't.
Oh and for the record I checked with the Sheriff's office in person and The Tonto National Forest Service Rangers office at Bartlett lake to make sure I was fine to fly there, and there were no objections.:)

Did you look at any sectional chart to see if it was a warning or restricted area? Did you check for NOTAMS or TFR's before flying?

That is why on the 107 exam there are questions about restricted and warning areas.

Bald Eagles don't have to be breeding to get you in a bind. Avoid them like the effn clap. Even if they are not breeding one of them will take your sUAV down before you can do anything about it. To them it is prey.

As a sUAV pilot, recreational or otherwise, you have a duty and responsibility to yield to to other aircraft.

As for flying in a National Forest, it is not a National Park, but right off the National Park website they have posted this warning " The Forest Service regularly flies aircraft at low altitudes to perform natural resource management. It is the UAS Operator’s responsibility to be aware of these flights and take the steps necessary to avoid them. Contact the local Ranger District Office or the FAA for scheduled flights in the area. ".

also:
Protect Wildlife & the Environment
  • Do not fly over congressionally designated Wilderness Areas or Primitive Areas as many people seek these places for the opportunities for solitude and quiet that they provide.
  • Do not fly over or near wildlife as this can create stress that may cause significant harm, and even death. Intentional disturbance of animals during breeding, nesting, rearing of young, or other critical life history functions is not allowed unless approved as research or management.
  • Follow state wildlife and fish agency regulations on the use of UAS to search for or detect wildlife and fish.
  • Launch the UAS more than 100 meters (328 feet) from wildlife. Do not approach animals or birds vertically with the UAS.

Ask the guy who had a military helicopter hit his Drone out over NY Harbor, when the FAA showed up they were not handing him a check for his drone. Do you have 60 million to replace an aircraft or a component of one?

Last edited:
I have encountered Air Force jets flying less than 400AGL about 45 miles north of Phoenix many times.running radar evasion runs, in fact this winter one hit a 500KVA powerline and took its wing tip off.forced to land in Phoenix most likely required a change off the pilots briefs I would not want to have been that pilot when he had to explain it to his CO.

F-16 pilot lands safely in Phoenix after striking a cable

Last edited:
That would have been so freakin cool to see a jet zip right on past. I doubt a little plastic mavic could do much damage to it unless it got sucked into the engine and the lipo battery exploded. In saying that though, I've heard and seen the F35 and they are LOUD. You'd hear them coming from miles away, plenty of time to bring your drone down to a safe height or land it entirely. I highly doubt the pilot could see your drone, nor would he/she have time to react.

O
That would have been so freakin cool to see a jet zip right on past. I doubt a little plastic mavic could do much damage to it unless it got sucked into the engine and the lipo battery exploded. In saying that though, I've heard and seen the F35 and they are LOUD. You'd hear them coming from miles away, plenty of time to bring your drone down to a safe height or land it entirely. I highly doubt the pilot could see your drone, nor would he/she have time to react.
only 3-5 seconds in the mountains where they fly and the speed they are going. I have been flying when they come through. The power line they hit was about 250AGL I fly at that height...... a few seconds is not enough time to do much.

O

only 3-5 seconds in the mountains where they fly and the speed they are going. I have been flying when they come through. The power line they hit was about 250AGL I fly at that height...... a few seconds is not enough time to do much.

Was it flying with afterburners perhaps? I swear those F35s are loud, louder than other fighter jets I've seen.

I was in the Tonto National Forest the other day flying over the lake at about 300 feet when an F-35 came out of nowhere at about the same height . The lake is long and narrow at this spot and is between 2 mountains. I think the F-35 was following the lake path when he came around the corner and into my flight path.. I swear it was pretty close, at least from my perspective. I had no time to move down or anything.
I'm curious if that F-35 could detect my little drone at 400mph? Also wonder what the consequences are if he hit my drone, is the Air Force going to cover my loss . I seriously doubt that my drone could hurt him.
You seriously doubt your drone could hurt him??!?! Are you being serious, or just being silly? Tell this F-16 pilot your drone couldn't hurt him. He lost his jet, nearly his life and all he hit was some bird skin, bird muscle, bird feathers and little bitty bird bones:
Any idea how many pilots are killed, maimed, or injured by birds coming through cockpit windshields? Would you be willing to slam into a Mavic at 400 MPH in a single engine fighter??

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
The F-35 is a fifth generation fighter.
It has LO (low observable, ie., stealth) skin.
It is not recycled, thin gauge aluminum foil.

It would be quite interesting to see the bill for replacing the LO skin if one damaged it.

Actually, you would not hear it for miles. The reason we fly low and fast is to avoid radar and to be on the people on the ground before they know we are coming. When you are going near Mach, you are running forward with the sound. Check out this video.

Would you have time to lower your drone?

Fly safe

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada