DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drones in Zambia and Madagascar

Dale D

Reactions
Site
vimeo.com
Well forum people here is my report after asking over the past year for anyone with experience bringing a drone and using it in these two countries (Zambi, MADAGASCAR).. Firstly there was no problem at customs in either entry nor on local flights. The drone was on my camera bag along with three batteries and controller. Rarely was it ever looked at or touched. If a security agent even looked it I said it was another camera.

In Zambia, I was on a photo safari at a specific camp (Track and Trail River Camp). Flying was strictly prohibited by my safari guide even while in camp. The camp was not in a national park, but across the river from our bungalow. Reasons given were risks to game animals, drones not permitted even though not actually in a national park (South Luangwa River separated my cabin from park) and disturbing animals. So not a single shot was taken in Zambia. The camp's very own web site features numerous drone videos!!!

In Madagascar , again no problems going through customs and I was freely able to legally fly at the Avenue of the Baobabs and not permitted at the Tsingy Gorge since National Parks are forbidden as everywhere else. I could have flown illegally without difficulty since once on the trail, very few people around, but I chose not to.

I tried a circle at the Avenue of the Baobabs, but I misjudged my height and clipped a branch and the drone went down! It fell nearby where my wonderful Malagasy guide and driver found it!!!! Suffered a cracked right front facing sensor and was still able to fly! I have a already gotten a shipping label for US repair or replacement on my DJI Care.

Now on my flight back to US from Johannesburg through Doha Qatar and to Miami. Videos to follow after I get back to a normal schedule.

All in all, it would be quite easy to fly in Madagascar but not in the national parks. No one really cares, there are rare to no police around, and the guides are quite helpful and interested in the drone.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting your experience.
Good to have some current 411

Many thanks for these interesting information. Impatient to see your vids! :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78