DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Droning in Cloudcroft, NM Legal?

spamgnome

Reactions
Hello,
OK, this is not a trick question. :) Is it legal to fly a drone over and around Cloudcroft, NM? There's a TON of restricted airspace, there's a National Forest, and possibly some local regulations. I did a bunch of research and it looks OK to do it, but I'm skeptical only because there are no videos on YouTube there. Any suggestions? Any locals to the area? Thanks!

Cloudcroft and nearby airspace is all Class G unrestricted at the surface - no issues.

It's surrounded by Lincoln National Forest, but no wilderness areas so there should be no operations restrictions.
Sounds like a plan. Thanks for confirming

Cloudcroft and nearby airspace is all Class G unrestricted at the surface - no issues.

View attachment 126803

It's surrounded by Lincoln National Forest, but no wilderness areas so there should be no operations restrictions.
What site did you get this sectional from? I hadn't seen one that displayed the vertical limits of the MOAs and the Restricted areas.

Hello,
OK, this is not a trick question. :) Is it legal to fly a drone over and around Cloudcroft, NM? There's a TON of restricted airspace, there's a National Forest, and possibly some local regulations. I did a bunch of research and it looks OK to do it, but I'm skeptical only because there are no videos on YouTube there. Any suggestions? Any locals to the area? Thanks!
This is a GREAT app to know what the parameters are around where you wish to fly. I believe all national parks/ground prohibit any unmanned air craft. It was my understanding, after the changes last Oct, that the only method to film on federal property for recreational purposes only, is with something that doesn’t leave your person, as in a camera, phone, or other photography device.

I hope this helps =)

Attachments

• A65DF110-6A5B-44DF-804F-6416E43C7B6D.jpeg
    A65DF110-6A5B-44DF-804F-6416E43C7B6D.jpeg
    725.8 KB · Views: 2
This is a GREAT app to know what the parameters are around where you wish to fly. I believe all national parks/ground prohibit any unmanned air craft. It was my understanding, after the changes last Oct, that the only method to film on federal property for recreational purposes only, is with something that doesn’t leave your person, as in a camera, phone, or other photography device.

I hope this helps =)

Correct with regard to National Parks - they don't control airspace but they can and do prohibit takeoff, landing and control from NPS land. There is no restriction in National Forests except in designated wilderness or under TFRs for emergency operations.

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ken28e