DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dropped my air on the floor

MrRobville

Reactions
Yesterday when I tucked the Mavic in a bag, I wrongfully assumed the bag was zipped shut, causing all of the contents to be purged as soon as I threw it on my back, sending the Mavic 3ft down on the wooden floor. Landing upside down.
Fortunately there appears to be no visual damage, and even though the gimbal clamp flew off, the gimbal was still positioned straight forward without damage. Also turning it on doesn't seem to indicate any issues at first glance. The gimbal also seems to move normally.

However, even though I've already noted to recalibrate the IMU, compass and gimbal before my next flight, I'd like to know if there is anything else I need to be careful with. I cannot imagine this kind of tech likes taking a hit like that.
Has anyone else ever dropped it by accident? Did you encounter any issues afterwards?

I guess I need to add "check if bag is zipped" to my post flight checklist... :oops:

People do get away with serious crashes and minimal damage, you may be lucky - the only way to find t is cautious testing.
They are built to withstand the odd hard landing.

Its probably fine. I'd just make sure I'm in an open area and take my time. I wouldn't just fire it up and take it 300' up and 800' in Sport Mode... I'd do some "check-out" near by and make sure its all good before doing some real flying...

Mine dropped a good 40 feet bouncing off tree limbs most of the way down. Had no problems until I dunked it in salt water. Only thing I had to do was pop a rear arm back into place. It's probably fine, just be careful starting out on your next flight like said above.

Best advice do a flight test auto takeoff ..hover 2mins..auto land.
During that time monitor on screen for error messages .

I appreciate the replies. Gives me a bit of confidence that I'm in luck. I'll make sure to carefully test it as soon as I get the chance to get it up in the air again. Thanks!

Something worth doing on every flight is a brief control check. Once it's in the hover check that both sticks are producing the right result, i.e. up/down, yaw left/right, pitch forward/back, roll left/right. It only takes 20 seconds or so.

Maybe you should consider keeping the mavic air in the zip case it comes with. I know it makes it slightly larger and it is one more step in taking it out/putting away but it would definitely withstand accidental drops like these better.

Good tip! I'll see if it can fit within the bag. It does fit snugly at the moment since my bag as an ICU, but perhaps with a bit of fiddling I can rearrange it.
Yesterday I was finally able to take it up in the air again. Initial tests went fine, and after carefully increasing the flight distance and maneuver speed, I can luckily conclude that the drone is still in proper working order. I could not detect any issues or irrational behavior. Much appreciated all, looks like I'm in luck.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djiNonMini