DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dropping App

halmc

Reactions
During ordinary flight of my Mavic Air 2, I get a warning on my smart controller that the app is no longer connected. (Sorry, I can't remember the precise language) The picture on the controller disappears, and I am invited to renew the app. (again, not the precise language)

So I do, and all is well for a bit, maybe a few seconds, maybe a few minutes -- then it drops again.

On many occasions, the drone is several hundred yards/meters away from the smart controller, but as often much less. But still the app is dropped.

It does not affect control of the drone, other than I can only see what the drone is doing, other than line of sight.

The video recorded internally, or on the sd card is unaffected.

Note: I have two Mavic Air 2's, and the app-dropping happens which ever one I'm flying.

Any ideas most welcome!

Last edited:
If you do a bit of searching here on the forum you will notice that your problem is somewhat common ... the app crashes on the SC but the connection craft & RC is maintained. It's no identified cause to this other then speculations. Command RTH (if you don't want it stay put & hover) & then restarting the app makes you come back up again ... until it happens again unfortunately.

The SC is nowadays a rather old device with a outdated Android bases system ... this can be a cause for the apps crashing as the apps gets more & more processor hungry over time.

Thanks for the on-point answer. A bitter pill to swallow since I opted for the $700 controller to dispense with the vagaries of a smart phone.

The Mavic Air 2 sends me a warning when the battery is getting low: "Hey, my battery is getting low and I'm heading for home in about ten seconds" And not so long thereafter, it says "My battery is critically low and I'm landing NOW". (both 'quotes' are paraphrased.)

I was flying one of my MA2's last week, admiring its capabilities, looked down at the controller: no video. When I redid the app, I got the second, more dire message, and the drone, true to its word ceased powered flight at about 40'. When I found the drone in deep woods, one of its arms was busted off and the camera was hanging by its optic nerve. Sent it off for repairs.

Are these somewhat urgent messages sent via the APP that is wont to drop out? Wonder whose bright idea that was?

Lastly, I do have a dumb controller that I have not used. It presents the same issue ?

I should add that the MA2 is a spectacular device. I love mine, but having to reload the app from, even occasionally, aside from being a PITA, also erodes my confidence in DJI. Seems out of place for the world's leader of drones . . .

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lboogie007