DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dropping Pins to Fly Back to a Certain Spot

fivestar51

Reactions
Is there a way to "drop a pin" or something similar on the map in order to mark your current location? The issue we're having is while performing a search we have to fly back to swap out batteries.....it would be nice to be able to fly back to that spot immediately and begin again, instead of trying to find a particular corn row or something again.

I know on the M30 this is possible, but on our Mavic 2 Enterprise I havent figured it out yet.

Thanks.

Can't you just manually set a waypoint and create a mission between that spot and the home point, and then reverse the mission?

Possibly….guess I don’t know how to set a waypoint then either.

I’m talking about flying the drone manually too…not under a mapping type mission.

Are you deploying the drone and then walking to a different area. When you takeoff, does it not set a home point. You could just send it home to the launch location right.

I know on the M30 this is possible, but on our Mavic 2 Enterprise I havent figured it out yet.

I don't have the aircraft but I did download the manual and glanced at it.

Looks like the GPS information is displayed on the flight screen and although it's not the answer you're looking for, it might be a workaround by taking a screen shot of the area before heading back to change the battery.

Use the image with GPS information as a reference to get you close to where you were?

Just a thought. 🤔

iMarkup_20230413_104206.jpg

Scenario is looking for an elderly person or small child who has walked away. Perform a grid type search area of a large corn field or wooded area. You can be a long ways from the home point. Come home to swap a battery, then immediately fly back to that starting point to continue the search area.

I’ve tried the lat/long trick…it just takes a bit to get to those coordinates. Always seem to overfly them or go the wrong direction momentarily. It works, but having a marker on the map would work far better and faster.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Reactions: MA2 317
I looked at the Litchi app and I'm not sure if the Mavic 2 Enterprise is supported.

The Mavic 2 pro / zoom is compatible.

Maybe the app has a drop pin feature if it works with the M2E?

Might send them an email.

Is there a way to "drop a pin" or something similar on the map in order to mark your current location? The issue we're having is while performing a search we have to fly back to swap out batteries.....it would be nice to be able to fly back to that spot immediately and begin again, instead of trying to find a particular corn row or something again.

Thanks.
can some one help me, im new to this i can reply to a thread or maybe its a post ? do i post first thread? anyway i can reply with pictures, if i want to ask our mav pilot comunty a tech quest do i create a post? or thread? were can i learn to use this site? please thank you help!

Scenario is looking for an elderly person or small child who has walked away. Perform a grid type search area of a large corn field or wooded area. You can be a long ways from the home point. Come home to swap a battery, then immediately fly back to that starting point to continue the search area.

I’ve tried the lat/long trick…it just takes a bit to get to those coordinates. Always seem to overfly them or go the wrong direction momentarily. It works, but having a marker on the map would work far better and faster.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Best way to do search and rescue grids is to set up a mapping mission over the area. That way you are more likely to get overlapping runs

The DJI apps have this or you can use apps like Skygrid and others to plan it.

watch the training slides then search to find more info on the methods you want

Ok thanks. We've tried the mapping program, but it has limitations as well. Time is usually of the essance, and it takes some time to navigate thru all the menu's. Not out of the question though, We'll keep messing with it.

Thank you.

Possibly….guess I don’t know how to set a waypoint then either.

I’m talking about flying the drone manually too…not under a mapping type mission.
Manually set a waypoint where you stopped searching, and create a mission between that spot and the home point and then reverse the mission and fly it with the fresh battery, and then resume your manual search. Learn how to set waypoints manually during flight. It's in your user manual.

Ok thanks. We've tried the mapping program, but it has limitations as well. Time is usually of the essance, and it takes some time to navigate thru all the menu's. Not out of the question though, We'll keep messing with it.

Thank you.
time is of the essence but proper set up is just as important. Flying grid too fast, not overlapping, camera at the wrong angle can lead to missing your search subject. Look at SAR training online, some is free. It gives you plenty to think about and practice.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters