DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dual Controllers with Mavic 2 Series?

Extremely disappointed in DJI if that's the case. There's a few people I know that would love to fly this thing, but I simply cannot let them with only a single controller.

It's not that I don't trust them, but they've never flown before, and if something were to go wrong (not just pilot error but maybe aircraft malfunction) they'd feel terrible for crashing such an expensive aircraft that wasn't theirs.

What is wrong with DJI? I want to give them 600 more AUD for that second controller. Maybe Occusync 2.0 isn't quite as fully featured and capable as DJI like to claim....

There's a few people I know that would love to fly this thing, but I simply cannot let them with only a single controller.
It's not that I don't trust them, but they've never flown before, and if something were to go wrong (not just pilot error but maybe aircraft malfunction) they'd feel terrible for crashing such an expensive aircraft that wasn't theirs.
These things just about fly themselves.
All you have to do to give a new flyer a test flight is make sure they are in a large, open area and well away from obstacles (including the ground).
It's really hard to get into trouble if there's nothing to hit.

As for using two controllers, there's no need so why would DJI bother?.
What would a second operator do?

Extremely disappointed in DJI if that's the case. There's a few people I know that would love to fly this thing, but I simply cannot let them with only a single controller.

What is wrong with DJI? I want to give them 600 more AUD for that second controller. Maybe Occusync 2.0 isn't quite as fully featured and capable as DJI like to claim....
Maybe its just a numbers thing... only 1 in 100 would pony up the cash so to try and bug proof the whole thing its not worth the capital investment. Maybe keeps people who want to use camera/control separation on higher models.

I hear your issue - though no joke - seeing as you just need to teach someone to let go of the sticks to get out of trouble it really is just a matter of standing next to them - getting it high enough in an open field that they cant mess up and let them go for it- you can snatch it off them if they go too low or too close to a tree.. hell you could reach over and turn off the controller.

I let my 9yo fly it - put it in T(ripod) mode and let her start to learn the controls. My 11 year old can fly - hes better at computer games than me too :) haha i just keep them out away from stuff and in open areas.

Operate the camera? You can operate it using the phone screen to swivel up/down/left/right.

You can also do this with the goggles so I cant see any technical reason it cannot be implemented since it already is to some extent. Adding insult to injury is the fact the previous model had this feature which has been removed.

Only DJI would have the audacity to remove features on newer more expensive model products. Guess it's a luxury you have when you're a monopoly company.

Maybe its just a numbers thing... only 1 in 100 would pony up the cash so to try and bug proof the whole thing its not worth the capital investment. Maybe keeps people who want to use camera/control separation on higher models.

I hear your issue - though no joke - seeing as you just need to teach someone to let go of the sticks to get out of trouble it really is just a matter of standing next to them - getting it high enough in an open field that they cant mess up and let them go for it- you can snatch it off them if they go too low or too close to a tree.. **** you could reach over and turn off the controller.

I let my 9yo fly it - put it in T(ripod) mode and let her start to learn the controls. My 11 year old can fly - hes better at computer games than me too :) haha i just keep them out away from stuff and in open areas.

It would take a very small effort to incorporate it. I'd imagine 90% or more of the required code already exists for the goggle interface.

These things just about fly themselves.
All you have to do to give a new flyer a test flight is make sure they are in a large, open area and well away from obstacles (including the ground).
It's really hard to get into trouble if there's nothing to hit.

As for using two controllers, there's no need so why would DJI bother?.
The M2P is more suited to dual operator than the M1P was. The M2P camera can move right and left about 80 degrees. M1P could not do this. I used to have an Inspire 1 and that functionality was awesome. I used to create a waypoint mission in Litchi and then let that fly while I controlled the camera with the second controller with the sticks. Using the sticks to control the camera allows for much more smooth control. I would have both controllers side by side so I could keep an eye on the litchi mission.

Personally, I love the idea and hope it happens for the reasons that Greg mentioned above. Heck, just by relieving the pilot from the stress that surrounds the flying part of his job, would make it so much easier to do a better job filming (and probably with less mishaps.) That is no doubt why DJI does support the concept in the Inspires and up. You could give postioning instructions to the pilot and tell him/her the sort of movement you need or, if you want the pilot to hover. If you add some of the intelligent Flight Modes to the equation, you'd have all sorts of new creative options.

And then, as Greg mentioned, this could also be done on a programmed Litchi mission. I have it but have never tried it and frankly that's because I'm a little leary about sending her off on a programmed route. Now, I've never flown with Litchi but adding this potential discreet camera operator potential, now makes Litchi a lot more interesting to me. Those missions are like Intelligent Flight Modes on steroids from what I have seen on here.

Anyway, count me in the camp that would like to see this as a usable accessory.

Reactions: K5Greg
Please DJI, put in the dual operator feature. It's a major thing for teaching and bringing in new pilots.

Another vote for enabling this. We use dual control the whole time with the Inspire - you can get a far smoother, more interesting shot with more 3D movement when dual operating. Also, on complex jobs it's quicker (and safer) to have the second operator focussing on the camera, settings and suchlike.

Yes, this can all be done by one person , but it is much much easier to get smoother slicker shots when dual operating and the second operator is on sticks for the camera.

Also useful when showing a client live footage.

Reactions: K5Greg
It would be nice to know if they are even working on a Secondary Controller option. I was thinking it would be nice to have one controller modified for extended range and leave the other stock. I was thinking if the primary (stock) failed and the secondary(modified extended range) was on, it would take over after two seconds. It seems many are selling off their stock controllers for the smart controller. I live in an area that is heavily treed, rural.

It would be nice to know if they are even working on a Secondary Controller option. I was thinking it would be nice to have one controller modified for extended range and leave the other stock. I was thinking if the primary (stock) failed and the secondary(modified extended range) was on, it would take over after two seconds. It seems many are selling off their stock controllers for the smart controller. I live in an area that is heavily treed, rural.

Dual controllers usually don’t work that way for flight controls...for the Mavic Pro (1) one controller is the master, the other talks ‘thru’ the master.

For Inspire birds we usually set up one for flight controls, the other for the ‘big’ camera (like the X5 or 5S)...

Dual controllers usually don’t work that way for flight controls...for the Mavic Pro (1) one controller is the master, the other talks ‘thru’ the master.

We have M2E-series birds now, but are retaining our Mavic Pro 1’s for (among other reasons) pilot training with dual remotes....

For Inspire birds we usually set up one remote for flight controls, the other for the ‘big’ camera (like the X5 or 5S)...

Oops...sorry.l.some weirdness with Tapatalk caused 2 quotes...wish this app had a ‘delete post’ feature...

Could you just fly with the slave and keep the master on and have an extended range antenna on the Master? Just thinking of work around, if not it will be a good thing to keep on hand for training others.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
googleplazadorn