DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Due to drone laws & restrictions, does anyone else feel it to be nearly impossible to legally fly anywhere other than their backyard...?

I just get that feeling when i delve in to the local laws. my rationale is kind of like this-

- say you want to do an overhead of a reservoir, park or other public lands, well my state has specifically forbid flying of drones in state parks
- my county has forbid it

... say you then need to takeoff-land from outside of the park

- obviously you cannot takeoff / land from the road, so that is out of the questions
- you will be told no if you ask if you can roll up in someones front yard to takeoff and land, so private property is out of the question

so where are you left to fly, then....? within the short distance from your back yard (if you own the land/property, but what if you dont...?) and over some BLM lands, and that seems to be about it.

maybe some operators do fly outside those parameters and no one says anything, which is awesome, but still, feels like its basically illegal to fly anywhere other than above your back yard.

i recently started flying but the ONLY time it seems almost clear-cut is when you are hired specifically for drone work and have written permission to takeoff / land from said property, or you do it from your own property.

am not really one to "push it," even if some people wouldnt care. you still open yourself up to getting put on blast if you do literally anything wrong.
My thing is this, I check my Apps to see if it’s allowed, then if no one is looking, I take off! 50% of your Problems start with someone observing you take off, the other 50% is flying too low!

I am the most comfortable flying while sitting in my car. You don’t draw any attention and you have the comfort of the heater/air conditioner.

Reactions: rklesla
That's why sub 249g drones are the future for majority. Smaller, less noisy, almost stealthy at 150ft (Mini 2). I'm not saying you can fly them anywhere, but much more so than a bigger ones. Also, I'm starting to launch and land using a hand through open window in my car. I don't need a sidewalk or anything else. Drone comes and goes directly from my car haha.
Stay stealthy.

LOL, my backyard is Class D airspace! But I fly there all the time with a simple unlock and LAANC approval; which takes less than a minute. It's a bit irritating that state parks and some county parks restrict flying but I respect it. I fly all over the state in both uncontrolled and controlled airspace with very few limitations.

I live in Colorado. Lots of places to fly. Very few are restricted. Some city park, all state parks, and national parks. Other than that, you can fly anywhere else.

Question here.... can you takeoff or land from a public sidewalk legally.....? - Yes
do you think parks can legally restrict the 400ft airspace above them....? - No. Only the FAA can regulate airspace in the US.
I suspect that some cities will have an ordinance prohibiting the use of drones from their property (like NYC). I agree that the FAA will definitely take a dim view of the 400’ altitude thing when it’s challenged. 🙀

Never really had a problem I live in Texas but I really don’t fly much anymore after applying for five years it’s still fun but it’s not like it was when I first started and I’ve got over 15 grand in DJI drones I am fortunate I own 5 acres in the country what I’m curious about what’s gonna happen in the future

Never really had a problem I live in Texas but I really don’t fly much anymore after applying for five years it’s still fun but it’s not like it was when I first started and I’ve got over 15 grand in DJI drones I am fortunate I own 5 acres in the country what I’m curious about what’s gonna happen in the future
Sorry for the bad spelling never said applying flying is what I said have to stop using the voice text sorry guys

One more thing I just want to mention the reason I don’t fly much anymore because I lost my best friend which was my four-legged buddy there was nothing more he loved when that Drone took off and he would takeoff across my land looking for rabbits or anything else it just made him feel like 1 million bucks he was a wonderful American bulldog and I put him down June 1 after he got very sick sorry I just had to share this,Find Drones is a great hobby fly safe everyone have a great day

Reactions: toadmeister2k
Question here.... can you takeoff or land from a public sidewalk legally.....?

do you think parks can legally restrict the 400ft airspace above them....?

Not trying to fin a "workaround" but ill have to see if "public sidewalk" is in the language for local laws here.
I once asked a local fire station if I could fly over the property and photograph an old Cold War air raid siren. They said the sidewalk is public property so go ahead and launch from there.

Reactions: Chip and snowghost
Give it a bit of time and get another dog in your life. There will be one out there looking for a caring companion. I have recently been through a loss. Our dog had cancer and needed to be helped on his way. Now have a puppy, 10 months old. View attachment 143460
I’m so sorry for your loss Jake was the best thing that ever happened to my life I’m gonna electrician he went to work with me every day for 10 years and I believe his problem was cancer as well it’s been seven months now and I’m getting closer and closer to go to the pound where I found him I’ll know when the time is right it’s just a crazy thing how much he loves to fly drones, thank you for your response and I’m so sorry for your loss and I’m sure the day will come when you can get you another buddy as well he was all I had,It’s just really hard without him thank you again for your kindness

Reactions: Chip
I’m so sorry for your loss Jake was the best thing that ever happened to my life I’m gonna electrician he went to work with me every day for 10 years and I believe his problem was cancer as well it’s been seven months now and I’m getting closer and closer to go to the pound where I found him I’ll know when the time is right it’s just a crazy thing how much he loves to fly drones, thank you for your response and I’m so sorry for your loss and I’m sure the day will come when you can get you another buddy as well he was all I had,It’s just really hard without him thank you again for your kindness
Sorry for the bad spelling I meant I’m an electrician,And he was my apprentice

Reactions: Michael Ainsworth
Don't feel bad im not even allowed to fly in my own back yard. The FAA is a bit to crazy with there rules.

How is it the FAA's Fault you have Camp Lejeune in your backyard? Somethings are just a bit more important that our industry.

Reactions: snowghost
I'm pretty near Class D and C Airspace. Just get used to it and fly elsewhere.

Just use some common sense and fly where you want. Lots of places say drones are banned but the ban is, itself, illegal. It would cost a fortune to challenge that so it's best to avoid the problem by being stealthy, they can't monitor the entire sky...yet.

How is it the FAA's Fault you have Camp Lejeune in your backyard? Somethings are just a bit more important that our industry.
Because it's not the base preventing me its the faa I've had the conversation with them. Besides that my acre back yard is almost completely surrounded by tress at about 150 feet tall and I can't even get permission to take off.

Reactions: thispilothere
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom