DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dumb beginner question: Contact info on drone?

Although I doubt you have a DJI Air 3 that weighs less then 250g, technically you can put any number on it you wish; it doesn't have to be an FAA registration number. My suggestion is double check your numbers, register your drone, learn about remote ID, get the stickers. ;)
****! In all the excitement of choosing and buying my Air3, I never checked the weight. I just assumed it was sub 249g. So yeah, I’ll register and all that. (Sound of forehead slapping)

OK, I’m on the FAA Drone zone to register my Air3. How do I know if I have Remote ID or not? I bought the drone just a few days ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque
OK, I’m one the FAA Drone zone to register my Air3. How do I know if I have Remote ID or not? I bought the drone just a few days ago.
The Air 3 comes with RID. Select "yes" and just enter the serial number (most easily accessed from the side of the box your drone was packed in).
You'll be good.

The Air 3 comes with RID. Select "yes" and just enter the serial number (most easily accessed from the side of the box your drone was packed in).
You'll be good.
That’s interesting. The FAA site has a list of RID drones and the Air 3 was no on it, nor did it come up when I used serial number search.

That’s interesting. The FAA site has a list of RID drones and the Air 3 was no on it, nor did it come up when I used serial number search.
Check the date on your list. The Air 3 is brand new and looking at the lists Google is bringing up, they are from April to as recent as June of this year, before the release of the Air 3.
All DJI drones made on or after September 16, 2022 are already Remote ID compliant, with no further action required. All DJI drones made before September 16, 2022 that are actively supported by DJI (that is, that haven't been phased out into the legacy category) will be made Remote ID compliant via a firmware update.

Reactions: David MacNeill
Check the date on your list. The Air 3 is brand new and looking at the lists Google is bringing up, they are from April to as recent as June of this year, before the release of the Air 3.
All DJI drones made on or after September 16, 2022 are already Remote ID compliant, with no further action required. All DJI drones made before September 16, 2022 that are actively supported by DJI (that is, that haven't been phased out into the legacy category) will be made Remote ID compliant via a firmware update.
I agree it is still early to see what actually makes the compliance list. However, we should be clear on the "already compliant" statement. It's not going to matter if you have a drone that was made after 9/16/22, what will matter is if your drone has a DoC from the FAA. That's my opinion. Certainly the Air 3 has standard RID so there is nothing the pilot needs to do at this point but if DJI and the FAA doesn't make compliance prior to 9/16/23 then the Air 3 will need a broadcast module to fly legally unless and until the FAA says otherwise. Technically. I think of it like FCC. No FCC, no sale.

DJI has a few more weeks to gain compliance so I wouldn't worry too much at this point. Also gaining compliance is a tiny bit different than finding a document posted on the website. Maybe they are just late posting the details.

Rachel
Hi there.
getFile

Hi, I am in the USA and wondering if the Air 3 is RID compliant?
getFile

Rachel
Thank you for reaching out to us. We'll be glad to assist you.
getFile

all
getFile

Rachel
Yes, the DJI Air 3 comes RID compliant.
getFile

Thank you!

Screen shot of my chat with DJI 3 seconds ago.
I can assume much, but I like facts. This seems factual coupled with DJI's statement that "All drones manufactured after 9/16/22 are remote compliant. The above post is the first time I've seen anyone trying to throw some doubt on that statement.

Rachel
Hi there.
getFile

Hi, I am in the USA and wondering if the Air 3 is RID compliant?
getFile

Rachel
Thank you for reaching out to us. We'll be glad to assist you.
getFile

all
getFile

Rachel
Yes, the DJI Air 3 comes RID compliant.
getFile

Thank you!

Screen shot of my chat with DJI 3 seconds ago.
I can assume much, but I like facts. This seems factual coupled with DJI's statement that "All drones manufactured after 9/16/22 are remote compliant. The above post is the first time I've seen anyone trying to throw some doubt on that statement.
Here's what I said, not sure how to be more plain than that:

Certainly the Air 3 has standard RID so there is nothing the pilot needs to do at this point

I don't doubt it at all that "the DJI Air 3 comes RID compliant." Let's me know when you agree with me on that statement and ready to get past that part of the discuss and move on to the real point I was trying to make about being FAA compliant.

You should have asked her to provide you with the FAA Declaration of Compliance. 🤣

Certainly the Air 3 has standard RID so there is nothing the pilot needs to do at this point but if DJI and the FAA doesn't make compliance prior to 9/16/23 then the Air 3 will need a broadcast module to fly legally unless and until the FAA says otherwise.
Your full sentence is above.
I agree with the snippet of that sentence you posted above in #28.
I do not agree with the full sentence as it was posted in #26.
I highly doubt that DJI's most recent drone, released less than 60 days prior to RID going live, would not have a DoC on file. I am not privy to that information, but that doesn't make me doubt that one is not on file.

Your full sentence is above.
I agree with the snippet of that sentence you posted above in #28.
I do not agree with the full sentence as it was posted in #26.
I highly doubt that DJI's most recent drone, released less than 60 days prior to RID going live, would not have a DoC on file. I am not privy to that information, but that doesn't make me doubt that one is not on file.
Where is it? Without it doesn't help anyone. What good is a public government list if you don't have to be on that list? How are thousands of drone owners supposed to find out for sure if their drone is compliant? I think we are smart on the forum here but not many ordinary people know the Air 3 was just launched. Not easy to tell when you buy on eBay or at your local electronics store. Knowing when a drone was built is not part of the customer determination equation. You can't tell everybody on every RID video how to lookup your details but then say never mind when it comes to particular drones.

If a BroadcastModule#1 started selling online for $19.95 and you called them on the phone and they said we started selling last week, our modules are approved, would you buy it, attach it, fly with it even though it's not on the List? Can we trust them at their word? Can we trust DJI? DJI is the only one with a rescinded or revoked compliance btw. They've had all year to get their compliance listed but I understand, the drone was a secret up until recently.

The process is sloppy. It has many shortcomings and it doesn't reflect the tight government guidelines that we all once knew. Just ask the FCC. If the enforcement is loose and forgiving then I can understand; nothing is perfect and time is needed to work out the issues. I honestly believe the Air 3 is good to go and come Sep 16 if there is no DoC and Air 3 pilots can keep flying without having to send an email to the FAA to get permission, all good here.

I mentioned this earlier:
Also gaining compliance is a tiny bit different than finding a document posted on the website. Maybe they are just late posting the details.

I do want to add one other thing: If you register your drone on FAA.gov and you include your RID details and it is accepted, you should be good to go since you've done your part (flyers are not responsible for ensuring there is a proper and timely DoC filed and I believe the DoC is not the end all be all final word).

The fact that a valid RID registration can be submitted without a supporting DoC just means to me I'm not even sure how the FAA can defend the entire process in a legal setting and reinforces the thoughts that the process/system is not ready. :(

Should I put a little sticker with my name and number on my Air3 so it can be returned easily? Offer a $100 reward perhaps? We live in a part of the country (Boise ID area) with very little crime and where people are almost always nice unless you are from CA. ;) We've been here going on 16 years now so we pass as natives — had to ditch that Prius with the Save The Whales sticker though (Just kidding! We drive a Nissan Leaf EV with ACLU and Planned Parenthood stickers and we haven't been murdered yet.)
I've put commercially made stickers on all my drones with the Transport Canada Reg. # (required) and a line: Contact: Phone number. The sticker maker also produces a QR code sticker (included) that when scanned shows your phone number.
I put the QR code stickers on the batteries and inside of the case and on the controller.

Should I put a little sticker with my name and number on my Air3 so it can be returned easily? Offer a $100 reward perhaps? We live in a part of the country (Boise ID area) with very little crime and where people are almost always nice unless you are from CA. ;) We've been here going on 16 years now so we pass as natives — had to ditch that Prius with the Save The Whales sticker though (Just kidding! We drive a Nissan Leaf EV with ACLU and Planned Parenthood stickers and we haven't been murdered yet.)
The only time I ever “lost” a drone it was in the deep woods. It was a Yuneec Typhoon and offered no tracking info. I guess I’ll have to wait for the archaeologists to find it in a few thousand years!! By the way I was using a “range extender” when it happened. I don’t recommend them. Dji drones are remarkably dependable as far as return to home goes. I’ve never thought about putting my personal info on them. DJI_0008.jpeg44854448_Unknown.jpeg

Last October I was flying my P4pv2 in chicago, lost GPS and connection , and the drone.
6wks later I got a call from a couple of University of Illinois students who found it crashed on the sidewalk about a half mile from where I had lost it. Apparently it had landed in a tree and some big windstorm brought it down.

I had my name phone number and email on a label on the side and they would never call me if it hadn’t been there. I was able to send it back to DJI and they sent me a refurb which actually flies better than the original.

Definitely put your contact info where it’s visible. I used a paper label and covered it with clear packing tape, which is very sturdy and waterproof.

• Love
Reactions: BigAl07
I bet the average person would return it even if no reward was offered.

Reactions: BigAl07 and SWTSU
I have a txt file on the SD Cards of all my drones with owner information which includes a reward being offered. I have never lost a drone though. (Knock on virtual wood) :)

I have the following on a sticker on my M2P:

FAA registration #
cell phone number
Reward If Found

Think I will follow the advice of many on this forum and place a text file on my sdcard.

Reactions: GFields
Yes, I know, and corrected myself in post #21 above.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor