DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dumb beginner question: Contact info on drone?

David MacNeill

Reactions
Should I put a little sticker with my name and number on my Air3 so it can be returned easily? Offer a $100 reward perhaps? We live in a part of the country (Boise ID area) with very little crime and where people are almost always nice unless you are from CA. ;) We've been here going on 16 years now so we pass as natives — had to ditch that Prius with the Save The Whales sticker though (Just kidding! We drive a Nissan Leaf EV with ACLU and Planned Parenthood stickers and we haven't been murdered yet.)

Should I put a little sticker with my name and number on my Air3 so it can be returned easily?
It definitely couldn't hurt. I bet the average person would return it even if no reward was offered.

Should I put a little sticker with my name and number on my Air3 so it can be returned easily?

Put your contact information on the SD card as a word file just in case the stickers wear out.

Don't format the card in the aircraft as this will erase the document.

Only if you'd like anyone finding the drone to be able to return it easily.
Right. I was just wondering of there was some security issue I wasn’t aware of.

Last edited:
Your drone already has the required FAA registration visible on the outside, so what's the additional security risk of adding personal information? If you never loose your drone, it wouldn't matter; the information is only there for the case you loose your drone. Do you want someone to notify you?

Reactions: AZDave and MS Coast
Your drone already has the required FAA registration visible on the outside, so what's the additional security risk of adding personal information? If you never loose your drone, it wouldn't matter; the information is only there for the case you loose your drone. Do you want someone to notify you?
Well sure. It wouldn’t be of much use to them, even if it wasn’t broken.

Reactions: Torque
Should I put a little sticker with my name and number on my Air3 so it can be returned easily? Offer a $100 reward perhaps? We live in a part of the country (Boise ID area) with very little crime and where people are almost always nice unless you are from CA. ;) We've been here going on 16 years now so we pass as natives — had to ditch that Prius with the Save The Whales sticker though (Just kidding! We drive a Nissan Leaf EV with ACLU and Planned Parenthood stickers and we haven't been murdered yet.)
I have a sticker on my drone with my phone number and reward if returned.

Reactions: David MacNeill
I put my number on and "Reward If Found" on it. I saw a post on Facebook lately where someone was saying some kids came by looking for a drone they had lost. A couple days later this person was in the back yard and found the drone in a bush. However there is no contact info on it and they have no idea who it was that came by. Don't know if they ever got it back, but it's a good example to put some sort of contact info on it. If it's ever found you can negotiate a reward amount depending on how bad of shape it's in. I don't think I would put a $ number on it.

Well sure. It wouldn’t be of much use to them, even if it wasn’t broken.
I have my telephone # on all of my drones. I lost an expensive RC plane years ago flying at an RC park in a heavily forested part of Washington state. I had my name and contact number in the battery compartment. It laid on the forest floor for two years, through two winters before a hiker found it. Battery was shot, but the plane was unscathed. Haven't lost a drone yet, but just in case.

I use a Brother P-Touch label maker and label all my cameras & drones with

"REWARD IF FOUND!
Please call xxx-xxx-xxxx"

Where the X's are numbers people call to ring my phone. And they must dial them in the proper sequence or they won't get me.

We label ALL aircraft with contact info as well as putting a small Text File on the SD with our contact info "just in case".

Those stickers look great, but my Air3 weighs 249 grams so I’m not going to register it. I’ll make my own on clear label stock.
Although I doubt you have a DJI Air 3 that weighs less then 250g, technically you can put any number on it you wish; it doesn't have to be an FAA registration number. My suggestion is double check your numbers, register your drone, learn about remote ID, get the stickers. ;)

but my Air3 weighs 249 grams so I’m not going to register it.
If you have an Air 3, it weighs 720 grams

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR