DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dumbest ever mistake

• Thread starter Deleted member 94047
  • Start date
I wonder what that person was distracted by.

I have a family member that landed a single-prop on a runway without lowering the landing gear. All the buzzers in the plane were ignored due to the distraction of a crowd of family members proudly watching the landing. They got more than they asked for.

Chris

Chris: In aviation, at least Naval Aviation, there's an old saying about gear up landings.

"Those who have and those who will"

Your family member must have done alright in life to afford a retractable single, they ain't cheap! :)

I had a Student Naval Aviator on a hop one time doing an ILS in a Navy Kingair. He called for the gear and I ignored him. It was a fairly windy and bumpy day in the summer time so he was working pretty hard trying to hold the localizer and glideslope. Meanwhile, the horn is blaring and he's oblivious to it. I finally had to take the airplane, stop the descent, and just cruise along while I asked him...

"What's wrong with this situation?"

Yep, distraction is a powerful thing.

There are dumber mistakes, I'm sure people can Trump that.

I was flying from along a lightly traveled county road, when I friendly guy stopped in his truck.to check it out. I let go of the sticks, leaving it hover at about 150 feet over the nearby wetland. After chatting for a few minutes, I noticed a change in the loudness of the props. For some reason it was doing an RTH, with no warning. I stopped it about 50' above his truck hood. At that point he said so long, and drove off. He didn't have any idea he was in my home point landing zone. That was my one and only lesson in distracted flying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent