DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Editing 4K Video - Computer? Software?

luckydog125

Reactions
Hi - Thanks in advance for any recommendations. I am using an older Mac that used to be fine with my Phantom Pro video, but since now shooting in 4K on the Mavic Pro, it just cant handle editing. I am currently using Adobe Premier Pro and do love all it's features, but I have been reading a lot about the rendering capabilities for Final Cut so trying to make some decisions. I am going to stick with MAC and most likely shell out the 2000-2500 for a new 21 or 27 inch iMac that should be able to handle the 4K video. My questions are basically IS that going to solve my problem. Should I be moving away from Premier Pro? I dont want to have to work with proxies so really just looking for some recommendations from anyone that is crushing 4K video editing.

Hi - Thanks in advance for any recommendations. I am using an older Mac that used to be fine with my Phantom Pro video, but since now shooting in 4K on the Mavic Pro, it just cant handle editing. I am currently using Adobe Premier Pro and do love all it's features, but I have been reading a lot about the rendering capabilities for Final Cut so trying to make some decisions. I am going to stick with MAC and most likely shell out the 2000-2500 for a new 21 or 27 inch iMac that should be able to handle the 4K video. My questions are basically IS that going to solve my problem. Should I be moving away from Premier Pro? I dont want to have to work with proxies so really just looking for some recommendations from anyone that is crushing 4K video editing.

Why not work with proxy files? If you are running an older mac this will probably be your only option. I have a 2016 15" MacBook Pro and I still work with proxy files even though my computer can handle the original 4k just fine.

Reactions: jorn
I want to upgrade my computer anyways so rather have something that can edit the 4K natively just to not have to add more processes to the editing procedure.

Have you considered building a Hackintosh? Though there are a few of the top of the line iMacs that can handle the job, they are all dead ends as far as expansion and or upgrades. Apple is promising to have a real "pro" machine that is upgradeable, but not until sometime in 2018, and you can bet it will be really expensive.

Yes I have been looking at that and we talking close to 5K :eek:

Hmm... well I just finished building this dual-boot photo/4K editing machine for about $1600 USD:

-Intel i7 7700K 4-Core (8-thread) 4.2GHz CPU LGA1151 Socket, Turbo Boosted to 4.5GHz
-Asus Z270F ATX Motherboard w/ 6x usb 3.0, USB 3.1 and m.2 and Sata III 6Gb/s connections, gigabit ethernet.
- 240GB SSD running Sierra OSX
- 240GB SSD running Windows 10 Pro
- 1x 4TB WD Black Drive
- 5 remaining open drive bays
- 32GB (2x16gb) DDR4 Memory 2400MHz
- GTX 1060 3GB Graphics Card w/ HDMI and DVI. Other cards possible
- Phanteks Enthoo Pro Windowed Black Case.
- Bluetooth Adapter
- BlueRay burner

Reactions: mph300

I'm not a Mac user, but as long as the monitor is 4k, you should be fine.

I upgraded my PC platform to handle 4k edits - I7, 16gb (really need 32gb), gtx 1070, LG 24" 4k monitor, 500ssd (added another 250). My issue other than needing more memory is storage, which I have about 12tb.

Have you considered building a Hackintosh? Though there are a few of the top of the line iMacs that can handle the job, they are all dead ends as far as expansion and or upgrades. Apple is promising to have a real "pro" machine that is upgradeable, but not until sometime in 2018, and you can bet it will be really expensive.

A new iMac should be able to do the job. I am running a 2016 Macbook Pro with 2.9 GHz a Radeon Pro 460 with 4GB dedicated GPU and 16GB ram. I have no problems editing 4k in final cut pro. The new iMac has an even newer GPU and it cost $1500. Although there isnt a lot of room for expansion it will get the job done. High Sierra is supposed to allow for the ability to use an external GPU, but I havent looked too much into that.

Reactions: radman
Hmm... well I just finished building this dual-boot photo/4K editing machine for about $1600 USD:

-Intel i7 7700K 4-Core (8-thread) 4.2GHz CPU LGA1151 Socket, Turbo Boosted to 4.5GHz
-Asus Z270F ATX Motherboard w/ 6x usb 3.0, USB 3.1 and m.2 and Sata III 6Gb/s connections, gigabit ethernet.
- 240GB SSD running Sierra OSX
- 240GB SSD running Windows 10 Pro
- 1x 4TB WD Black Drive
- 5 remaining open drive bays
- 32GB (2x16gb) DDR4 Memory 2400MHz
- GTX 1060 3GB Graphics Card w/ HDMI and DVI. Other cards possible
- Phanteks Enthoo Pro Windowed Black Case.
- Bluetooth Adapter
- BlueRay burner

Nice system.

I have just specced an almost identical one (single boot) except for A 1GB Crucial SSD for a video editing space and a GTX 1080 for gaming.

Last edited:
I am in the same situation as luckydog except I don’t really care too much about the ingestion speed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143