DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Editing - Davinci Resolve 17 & Speed Editor

EricJT

Reactions
I thought I would share my recent experience when it comes to editing video.

I had been using the free version of Davinci Resolve 16 late last year, albeit infrequently.

With the arrival of Davinci Resolve 17 and winter, I decided to bite the bullet and buy the full Studio version which included BM's Speed Editor...either way I looked at it, either the software or the hardware was in essence free.

Well, after two months of editing numerous family videos and drone footage, I am very pleased with the Speed Editor...and the software makes great use of my high end PC setup.

My editing abilities improve each week as my muscle memory gets sharper, and I selectively learn the bells and whistles by watching YouTube tutorials.

Editing now with primarily the Speed Editor and mouse has made NLE much more enjoyable.

Who knows, perhaps I will also get better when it comes to colour grading.

Hi Eric,
I have similar experience and went the same route as you. I haven't done any editing since New Years until a day or so ago with some new footage.

What I really like is that I can quickly scroll through all my footage hitting the In, Out and Append buttons as I go, putting all the have-to-have-it and "maybe" footage onto the timeline leaving everything else on the cutting room floor (as it were). SO fast. With the speed editor I can do in a half hour or less what may have taken at least two hours previously.

Color grading? Such a wide and nebulous area. I don't know which is harder, having the vision for it, or technically achieving the vision I have? Easy answer: Both. Maybe if I get good I can start spelling color with a u o_O ? :cool:.

Reactions: DavidT_ NZ
Hi Eric,
I have similar experience and went the same route as you. I haven't done any editing since New Years until a day or so ago with some new footage.

What I really like is that I can quickly scroll through all my footage hitting the In, Out and Append buttons as I go, putting all the have-to-have-it and "maybe" footage onto the timeline leaving everything else on the cutting room floor (as it were). SO fast. With the speed editor I can do in a half hour or less what may have taken at least two hours previously.

Color grading? Such a wide and nebulous area. I don't know which is harder, having the vision for it, or technically achieving the vision I have? Easy answer: Both. Maybe if I get good I can start spelling color with a u o_O ? :cool:.
Thanks for the input....pleased to hear other(s) are having a similar experience. And colour with a u is explained by my Canadian education. ?

Reactions: DavidT_ NZ
What minimum PC specs would you suggest to run the software?

Also, do you have a sample clip?

Thanks for the input....pleased to hear other(s) are having a similar experience. And colour with a u is explained by my Canadian education. ?
Have no fear ........ we have plenty of “u’s” to go around Down Under in New Zealand, too! ? We like to put a like extra in our vocabulary ....... just for u and u and u ........ cheers! ?????

What minimum PC specs would you suggest to run the software?

Also, do you have a sample clip?
I imagine BM lists what they would recommend...I am running an i9-9900k with an Asus RTX 2070 graphics card.

Still working on a clip which I will post to the photos/video forum.

I concur with the comments re the speed editor. I had been using the free version for a couple of years, gradually improving my editing. Then along came 17 with lots more bells and whistles. The free speed editor was too good to resist so I bought the studio version. Some how here in Oz I got both within a few days. Must have been lucky to order from a stockist who had stock.

Agree about colour (with a "U") Seems to be an art and I often cannot see the difference between before/after on UTube videos. Maybe it is just to subtle for my ageing eyesight. Similar with sound where my industrial deafness makes editing sound mainly a guess.

Thanks for this post. Very timely, as I just picked up Resolve Studio/Speed Editor on Thursday and was debating whether to keep it (it was the last one in stock and they weren’t expecting more in stock for a while, so I figured I could spend a few weeks deciding whether to keep it).

It sounds like it’s gotten very good reviews, though I’m a little concerned that I usually use the “Edit” rather than “Cut” interface and the Speed Editor seems designed for the latter.

Cut Page takes some getting used to, but the Speed Editor is worth the adjusting. I love it.

The Blackmagic site has a listing of minimum hardware requirements. They are onerous, especially in the graphics card dept.

Thanks for this post. Very timely, as I just picked up Resolve Studio/Speed Editor on Thursday and was debating whether to keep it (it was the last one in stock and they weren’t expecting more in stock for a while, so I figured I could spend a few weeks deciding whether to keep it).

It sounds like it’s gotten very good reviews, though I’m a little concerned that I usually use the “Edit” rather than “Cut” interface and the Speed Editor seems designed for the latter.
I felt the same way about the "cut" page at first.....then I watched a couple of YouTube tutorials and got familiar with it. The SE does work in the "edit" page....I use it for my transformations, and still have to figure out what else is possible. I find using the cut page for the clips "ins and outs" is very useful.

It's a different way of doing one editing editing job - rough assembly. What's not to like about having two tools to work with?

I *love* the direct connection to the timeline from the jog wheel.

Darryn Mosten on YouTube does a couple of really good SE tutorials.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada