DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Editing Question

bmoore1118

Reactions
I have a question about the following video.

I shot all of this in 4K 30 and downgraded to 1080 for youtube upload.

All the editing was done in premier rush.

For the most part I like the video but idk if its just the nature of water or I did something but especially when following the skis it doesn't look good.

Any help please!

Your right this is not very good video quality, but there seems to be a lot of issue.
The codec maybe, the speed of the video looks sped up,
Recording sideways that fast is pushing the limits of the Cameras ability to focus.

Try uploading in 4K as this is just very poor codec rendering.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on he Water

Your right this is not very good video quality, but there seems to be a lot of issue.
The codec maybe, the speed of the video looks sped up,
Recording sideways that fast is pushing the limits of the Cameras ability to focus.

Try uploading in 4K as this is just very poor codec rendering.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on he Water
It still doesnt look good. I am very new to shooting to video so I could have done something.

It was shot at 4k 30 at h.264. I am waiting for my ND filters from amazon so It was a very high shutter speed because of the bright day.

I processed all of these videos in Premier Rush and uploaded to youtube right from the app.

It still doesnt look good. I am very new to shooting to video so I could have done something.

It was shot at 4k 30 at h.264. I am waiting for my ND filters from amazon so It was a very high shutter speed because of the bright day.

I processed all of these videos in Premier Rush and uploaded to youtube right from the app.

It almost looks like your using the Cashe Video and the not the video on the SD card as this is very low quality.
Are you taking this video off of your SD card that is in the drone ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.

It almost looks like your using the Cashe Video and the not the video on the SD card as this is very low quality.
Are you taking this video off of your SD card that is in the drone ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water.
No this was from SD Card. I did find out that Premier Rush does have a very bad habit of over-compressing videos when exporting. I think I am going to try and purchase lumafusion.

When I edit for Facebook/YouTube I always encode at the original framerate and resolution. I encode at 100%, no compression, as Facebook/YouTube will do their own compression so I want to make sure they start with the best.

Reactions: bmoore1118
When I loaded your video on YouTube it showed a low resolution so I just change it to HD. I didn't see a problem with quality then. On the other hand I think camera movements are way to fast for 30 fps; just slow down camera movement. No evidence of shutter speed too fast, so no need for darker ND filter.
And, the music sounds like a stuck needle on a vinyl record.

Reactions: bmoore1118
When I loaded your video on YouTube it showed a low resolution so I just change it to HD. I didn't see a problem with quality then. On the other hand I think camera movements are way to fast for 30 fps; just slow down camera movement. No evidence of shutter speed too fast, so no need for darker ND filter.

Yes the music was just stock in the app, not the best.

Between Adobe rush compressing to much when exporting and trying to shoot at 30 fps I think that messed up to much.
It does suck that you cant so quickshots from dji in 60fps.

Yes the music was just stock in the app, not the best.

Between Adobe rush compressing to much when exporting and trying to shoot at 30 fps I think that messed up to much.
It does suck that you cant so quickshots from dji in 60fps.
60 fps would be nice.
For music I get mine mostly from incompetech Music Search. It's free and all I need to do is credit the music with text added to the video.

What I'm seeing is way too much "compression", which technically is the wrong term. What we call "compression" is actually bit-rate reduction (or bandwidth reduction), a means to reduce to data, per second, required to render video. All video codecs, going back to the first QuickTime of the early 1990s, attempt to reduce the amount of data by encoding only what changes, reducing spatial and temporal redundancy, frame to frame. It's a bit more complex than that, but that's the simple explanation. Elements that don't change frame to frame are not re-encoded, they're simply repeated. What burns up bandwidth in video are two aspecs: detail and motion. Both result in very little redundancy, so reducing the data has a negative visual impact, loss of clarity, blocking, etc. What you have in a shot moving over water is pretty much everything changes in each frame, so if the codec target is very low bit-rates, and every pixel is different in every frame, the codec has to throw out lots of detail and non-repeating information just to hit the target low bandwidth rate.

Yours is entirely a code "compression" issue. Increasing the frame rate won't really help because that increases the base bit-rate, and the codec will have an even harder time reducing it to the target rate (assuming that is baked in and you have no way to set the end bit-rate). However, reducing the shutter speed with an ND filter will have a positive effect because the result will be motion/speed blur, which reduces detail, and is actually easier to encode. When a high shutter speed is used, motion blur is reduced or eliminated, meaning each frame is highly unique, and what pixels would not not encode then? They're all different, every frame. A side effect if increasing the frame rate to 60fps or 120fps is the shutter speed MUST be higher. Again, going the wrong way if the end result must be run through a lossy codec.

If Premier Rush won't let you tweak the output codec's target bit rate, then don't output that way. Export the video a in a way that results in bigger files, higher bandwidth, even full 4K, and just let YouTube do it's thing, which usually isn't that bad. In other words, don't output directly out of Rush to YT, go to a high quality file first, then upload it. Your video is getting hit with bandwidth reduction twice, once by YT and once by Rush.

The only other thing to consider is shooting using H.265, which is a far more efficient codec to begin with. It results in higher quality video for the same bandwidth or file size, but with less codec artifact.

So, h.265, 4K, 30fps, and lower the shutter speed with an ND filter. Get it down to match the 180 degree rule (30fps would be 1/60th shutter). Then edit in 4K project, export in 4K with as gentle a codec as you can, let YouTube be the main compressor.

Reactions: MS Coast
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998