DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Effect on range and communication when piloting from inside vehicle

PBDawg

Reactions
There are circumstances in which I would prefer to pilot my Mavic Mini from inside my vehicle. I'm reluctant to try it in case there could be problems. Does anyone know the effect that this would likely have on operating range and communication with the drone? Is in-vehicle operation considered to be acceptable or is it not recommended? Thanks.

Anything is possible.
Just depends on what value you place on your flying camera. Gray matter in this one may be somewhat questionable, but I have been wrong before. My clue was the struggle to initiate an auto takeoff.

Reactions: Tburon9
Is how I fly most of the time.
IMG_8194.jpeg With both of mine. I have no issues at all. Hadn't tried no real distance test but saw no need with the Mini.Did this test before the last update so old screen.

Anything is possible.
Just depends on what value you place on your flying camera. Gray matter in this one may be somewhat questionable, but I have been wrong before. My clue was the struggle to initiate an auto takeoff.
Thanks Starz. If I dare to try it, I will do so where I'm more likely to find and retrieve my flying camera.

I do think the method used by Mr. dirkclod is the better of the two.
He’s not launching from the top of an object loaded with metal parts.

Reactions: dirkclod
I do think the method used by Mr. dirkclod is the better of the two.
He’s not launching from the top of an object loaded with metal parts.
lol no Mr to me Starz but you've see my other test with my 90 GMC and all i used for a take off pad was the bed.
That was all steel but can't do it with this ford and it's aluminum..Go figure.

Is how I fly most of the time.
View attachment 100572 With both of mine. I have no issues at all. Hadn't tried no real distance test but saw no need with the Mini.Did this test before the last update so old screen.

Excellent! Thanks dirkclod.
I have a question about your video - It shows the telemetry from your Mini (speed, altitude, distance, etc.). When I review the cached video from my controller, it doesn't include any telemetry. Is there a setting that would make the telemetry appear, or are you using a separate screen capture app on your mobile device to capture exactly what is displayed on the screen?

Excellent! Thanks dirkclod.
I have a question about your video - It shows the telemetry from your Mini (speed, altitude, distance, etc.). When I review the cached video from my controller, it doesn't include any telemetry. Is there a setting that would make the telemetry appear, or are you using a separate screen capture app on your mobile device to capture exactly what is displayed on the screen?
Just a screen recording . Is a built in feature on IOS and on Android i would think .
If your IOS you just swipe your screen up and there it is.Well down on iPad.

Launching my MM off the top of my car seems to screw up the direction triangle at the bottom of my screen. I think it best to launch is with the MM facing directly away from you and the controller to get the best direction reference point on your screen.

Launching my MM off the top of my car seems to screw up the direction triangle at the bottom of my screen. I think it best to launch is with the MM facing directly away from you and the controller to get the best direction reference point on your screen.
Try doing a figure 8 with your device and see if that don’t make it right. Does mine when I see that.

There are circumstances in which I would prefer to pilot my Mavic Mini from inside my vehicle. I'm reluctant to try it in case there could be problems. Does anyone know the effect that this would likely have on operating range and communication with the drone? Is in-vehicle operation considered to be acceptable or is it not recommended? Thanks.
I’ve flown from inside my car multiple times, I just stick my Mini out the window and hand launch. I also fly it up to my window and catch it by hand to land, depending on the wind. Sometimes, I’ll have to step out of the vehicle to calibrate the compass Before taking off, or catch it by hand when landing. I don’t think I’ve ever launched from, or landed on the ground. Just make sure you’re holding it above the roofline When launching so it doesn’t fly into your vehicle, and also put it into C mode, easier to control. The signal very pretty stable, unless you’re around a lot of buildings.

Flying from your vehicle is the best way when you are trying to be a little stealthy or just don’t want the usual onlookers asking ya questions while you are flying. I have to launch outside of my vehicle as the mag. Interference is a prob when I power up inside. Have fun!!

Reactions: PBDawg
I've had relatively good success flying from inside my vehicle but the main problem is launching it from a good 20' distance from the vehicle. The compass gets messed up when I launch from the car which is to be expected since it's such a large piece of metal. The distance you can fly is substantially compromised.

Reactions: PBDawg
As far as distance the only thing I’ve seen I had to do if
doing distsnce test is hold my controller up,like prop it
on top of the steering wheel to aim through the windshield.

Reactions: Mavikhan and PBDawg
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erhard