DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Elevation or altitude change

Brawnyman

Reactions
Quick question, when I take off from my house at 448' and climb to 200' then fly out over the river I should be 648'. But it always reads the altitude from the home position 200'. Shouldn't the sensors on the bottom calculate my altitude? I'm sure I'm just missing something, thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

The Mavic reads your take off point at 0', not the actual agl.

@Rflush is correct.

The Mavic system measures all altitudes relative to the takeoff point. The takeoff point is defined as 0 ATO, and everything else is relative.

The default setting for maximum altitude in the controller/aircraft may be something like 120 meters ATO; this means it won't accept a command to rise higher than 120 meters (400 ft) above the takeoff point. You can change this limit however you like, up to a maximum of 500 meters ATO.

Some jurisdictions' laws may specify a ceiling of 400 ft AGL (above ground level) as the US currently does. This may include a reduced ceiling across canyons or a raised ceiling around buildings and mountains. The Mavic has no idea where the ground is, unless it happens to be hovering within about 2 meters of some object. It does not understand geographical dropoffs or hills at all. Your compliance with the 400 ft AGL rule is entirely on your own mental calculations.

The Mavic actually has an internal barometric altitude device, and the GPS/GLONASS receivers, both of which measures altitude relative to the average sea level. Thus your hometown may be at 2000 ft AMSL (above mean sea level) and the Mavic would use that measurement at the time of takeoff. However, NOWHERE on the controller screen nor the DJI Go app screen will you see altitude described this way. This is only used for internal calculation.

By the way, many people have flown Mavic above 14000 ft AMSL (by taking off from locations high in the mountains). Aerodynamically, propeller thrust gets weaker as the air gets thinner, so beware of underpowered flight if you try to go much higher than this. At least one report of a flight over 18000 ft AMSL.

If you stand on the top of a skyscraper, or in the bottom of a canyon, all of these measuring systems may clash. Your country or the country you visit may have different rules that include buildings, airports, population density or other hazards to avoid. It's up to you as a pilot to be aware of these and fly safely.

Reactions: Gotcha and eyeflyby
Thank you Rflush and halley.
Ok, if I take off from my house and climb 100' then fly out over the river I will be at 550'. What will happen if I descent 200-300' I will still be ok, but what will the Mavic do when my elevation gets to zero?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54