DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Emergency air traffic question

kc007

Reactions
So tonight I was trying to catch a sunset picture at 250' and in a very isolated area (cemetery on a hill) and before I could react I had a Helo come past me at 40ish mph and lower than my drone. When I first heard the approach of the other aircraft I started descending, when I realized it would pass right under my current position I stopped and hovered only.

I waited until it was completely past and then came in for a landing.
What do others do in this situation? Was my action consistent with current FAA rules?
(I believe that I was correct in my actions) the airspace is unrestricted and there are no notams, or any other restictions in place. I do use airmap and file a flight on there always that is decent about alerting me to traffic, but nothing from this Helo.

Reactions: rconradvt
I'm in Southern California. I always check flightradar24 before I go up to see if there are any aircraft in the area or pointed in my general direction. I also check periodically when in flight. I realize that military and some other aircraft are often not displayed, but I feel I'm doing my due diligence by checking. So far I have not been let down. I also make a point to listen before I go up. I can hear the military choppers out of Camp Pendleton long before they get close.

Here's the link. Safe flying

Flightradar24.com - Live flight tracker!

Reactions: Skrems and kc007
You did all you could do, and apparently reacted well, under the circumstances.

I would hope all uav pilots would react as well as you did.

Edit: That said, if there had been an incident, unfortunately, in the eyes of the FAA, you would have been at fault. For example the helo suddenly decided to ascend directly into you, etc.

The rules state that UAV pilots must ALWAYS yield to manned aircraft, no matter how unexpected or erratic their behavior.

Again, you reacted well.

Last edited:
For your knowledge, only a small percentage of the aircrafts are shown on flightradar24 or similar ads-b website. roughly 1/3 of the commercial flights are missing due to lack of compatible equipment. Regarding all the others private flight, like jets, helicopters, small aircrafts, most of them are not shown.
First because they might not be ads-b compliant, or badly setup, or just they don't want to be seen.
So having a look at an ads-b website is really better than nothing, but bear in mind a lot -a real lot- of data is missing.

Be aware that the standard vertical separation of aircraft is 1000ft to insure no inadvertent mishaps. The general rule states that each aircraft should turn right to avoid the other approaching aircraft if this separation is not maintained. With helos it is important to avoid the rotor wash so if you know for fact he was coming in low below you, you may plan to climb and head right if you are facing the helo. In the off chance he spots you (tiny mavic) he would bank right and the two of you would brake away safely. Sounds like you did ok otherwise. Always having a plan and learning from these incidents is very good knowledge. Thank you for sharing. I had a close call in a Cessna 152 in the pattern of an uncontrolled airport with another plane; live, learn, share and stay alive. The skies are getting busier and we all need to be on our game to prevent avoidable mishaps that effect real lives.

For your knowledge, only a small percentage of the aircrafts are shown on flightradar24 or similar ads-b website. roughly 1/3 of the commercial flights are missing due to lack of compatible equipment. Regarding all the others private flight, like jets, helicopters, small aircrafts, most of them are not shown.
First because they might not be ads-b compliant, or badly setup, or just they don't want to be seen.
So having a look at an ads-b website is really better than nothing, but bear in mind a lot -a real lot- of data is missing.
This is simply not true, at least in the US.

FR24 uses multiple data sources. ADS-B is one of them, but also the ATC radar data is included. In contrast to what you say, ALL commercial aircraft are displayed. In fact, any aircraft squawking a transponder and in range of radar will be displayed, which is almost all manned aircraft, except military (filtered out) and experimental (no transponder).

You did all you could do, and apparently reacted well, under the circumstances.

I would hope all uav pilots would react as well as you did.

Edit: That said, if there had been an incident, unfortunately, in the eyes of the FAA, you would have been at fault. For example the helo suddenly decided to ascend directly into you, etc.

The rules state that UAV pilots must ALWAYS yield to manned aircraft, no matter how unexpected or erratic their behavior.

Again, you reacted well.
Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate it.

FR24 uses multiple data sources. ADS-B is one of them, but also the ATC radar data is included. In contrast to what you say, ALL commercial aircraft are displayed. In fact, any aircraft squawking a transponder and in range of radar will be displayed, which is almost all manned aircraft, except military (filtered out) and experimental (no transponder).

You may be badly informed.
For a start, I'm an Air Traffic Controller, I contribute in ADS-B feed for a few websites, and some tests to apply this technology in our work. This tech is just not secure enough to be used alone in the job.
Even in the US the ATC radar is filtered. You don't have everything squawking displayed.
That's most of the time a military agreement, and I personally don't want to see them playing around my planes, even if they do.
You also have delayed info transmitted to FR24, for safety reasons.
And many private owners filled specific demands for their aircraft(s) to be hidden from such websites. Seen 2 of them landing this morning before my eyes.

New stuff used by FR24 like multilateration (written MLAT in FR24) allow you to spot not-equipped planes when seen by 3 ground stations but I mostly never see the military aircraft I personally deal with at work.

If the site can not extract the position: no aircraft displayed.
At least on my own station I have a list of every single transponder squawking, most of the time altitude when C mode engaged, speed, heading, but GPS data? Missing a lot.

I could sent you simultaneous footage of FR24 and my own radar at work, you would easily see the difference.

So as said up here, better have a look at FR24 than nothing, or use you own ads-b receiver for a deeper info on the surrounding activity. But don't think anymore having a complete view of the surrounding traffic. I also have aircrafts flying on purpose without squawking, so now you know...

Maybe in the US but certainly isn't true for large parts of the world.
As stated only a small percentage of commercial aircraft have ADSB, not all airports have radar and of those that do, not all (or many at all worldwide) feed to fr24.
Civilian aircraft, medical, private and so on often wont have ADSB or in some cases, any squawk at all.
In addition to that fr24 extrapolates traffic location if it misses an update and other reasons so things may not be where plotted (especially if turning).
Where i am here maybe 30% of traffic appears on there for example.

In my area I have crop dusters both helicopters and planes. In fact yesterday I was out flying the drone and within 5 min here comes one banking right over my head . Long story short I did not hear him until he was on top of me. He had just started the field and it was his first pass. I landed and 15 min later he was done and gone. All good.

I'm in Southern California. I always check flightradar24 before I go up to see if there are any aircraft in the area or pointed in my general direction. I also check periodically when in flight. I realize that military and some other aircraft are often not displayed, but I feel I'm doing my due diligence by checking. So far I have not been let down. I also make a point to listen before I go up. I can hear the military choppers out of Camp Pendleton long before they get close.

Here's the link. Safe flying

Flightradar24.com - Live flight tracker!
Very helpful. Thanks.

In my area I have crop dusters both helicopters and planes. In fact yesterday I was out flying the drone and within 5 min here comes one banking right over my head . Long story short I did not hear him until he was on top of me. He had just started the field and it was his first pass. I landed and 15 min later he was done and gone. All good.
Yep. I have had planes on top of me quickly giving me very little time to react. See and Avoid is about the best shot.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Not sure where you came up with that 1000 ft. Separation?? I've been flying helicopters for 35 years and never heard that one before....as far as turning right....that's if you are on a head on collision course.
Just my 2 cents.
Just keep in mind helicopters can fly wherever and as low as they want.....those are what you must be aware of....I don't think to many fixed wing are going to venture below 400' especially over residential areas.

The guy did a good job of just staying put and bot panicking.

Ragnar
Be aware that the standard vertical separation of aircraft is 1000ft to insure no inadvertent mishaps. The general rule states that each aircraft should turn right to avoid the other approaching aircraft if this separation is not maintained. With helos it is important to avoid the rotor wash so if you know for fact he was coming in low below you, you may plan to climb and head right if you are facing the helo. In the off chance he spots you (tiny mavic) he would bank right and the two of you would brake away safely. Sounds like you did ok otherwise. Always having a plan and learning from these incidents is very good knowledge. Thank you for sharing. I had a close call in a Cessna 152 in the pattern of an uncontrolled airport with another plane; live, learn, share and stay alive. The skies are getting busier and we all need to be on our game to prevent avoidable mishaps that effect real lives.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Not sure where you came up with that 1000 ft. Separation?? I've been flying helicopters for 35 years and never heard that one before....as far as turning right....that's if you are on a head on collision course.
Just my 2 cents.
Just keep in mind helicopters can fly wherever and as low as they want.....those are what you must be aware of....I don't think to many fixed wing are going to venture below 400' especially over residential areas.

The guy did a good job of just staying put and bot panicking.

Ragnar
Most people hear something false at the bar, or wherever, and take it as gospel. In my 24 years of being a pilot, I have heard so much false stuff, I am almost surprised if someone actually gets a piece of information correct. We pilots, just have to accept that 99% of people, are ignorant to the real rules, and they won't ever bother to change. I've even had people tell me it is illegal when I land in my own yard. My reply to them is, then they should call 911.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrock