DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

End of this hobby for all of us ?

To counter some of the "it's a long way off" comments here about range, weather and noise, I saw this mil-spec drone announced today:

Very quiet, water proof and 100 min flight times

Surely commercial is only a couple of years behind at worst - maybe less with the $$$ AMZ can throw at it to own the home delivery space?

commercial companies build military equipment, military does not have a production line. Civilian market already has access to this type of equipment.

I can't believe that the FAA has granted them a 135 certification. They may have started the process but we'll see where that goes.
That being said... Air Space would be restricted in a big way along with all trees, power lines, flag poles, high rise, ..you can see where this is going..should we be scared...uh probably:(

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Was watching Russ on 51Drones on youtube last week. He was on about Amazon getting a licence for automated drone deliveries and how legislation will eventually force hobbyist flyers from the sky to keep the low altitudes free for amazons drones. I thought , yeah not my problem in misty ole Ireland. Boy was I wrong

Flippin supermarkets will now be delivering your loo roll or butter by drone shortly.
Big money is gonna outlaw us pilots to the back and beyonds shortly.

Was watching Russ on 51Drones on youtube last week. He was on about Amazon getting a licence for automated drone deliveries and how legislation will eventually force hobbyist flyers from the sky to keep the low altitudes free for amazons drones. I thought , yeah not my problem in misty ole Ireland. Boy was I wrong

Flippin supermarkets will now be delivering your loo roll or butter by drone shortly.
Just register yourself as a Company delivering loo paper, too! Then wander off to the park, along the river and into the countryside ..... with your drone, of course!!!! ????????

Anyone that has a business is well aware of what can be classified as a tax deduction. Jeff is by no means a dummy or a mental midget.
In my mind, this entire silly venture is, and was always, planned as just that. A tax dodge. Simple business decision. His accountant team is laughing all the way to the bank.

Well, I am beginning to see the writing on the wall so I sold my Mavic pro but I still have my EVO 1. Not going to buy anymore drones unless I decide to get a 107 then I will get a Mavic 2. Started taking Sport Pilot lessons instead, in a Airborne Trike. Better IPV (In Person View) anyway. :D

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    883 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: G Randy Brown
How would a drone know I received the package & not some random passer-by who could take it & the drone if it lands.
I would imagine as they do now, the drone would surely have a camera to verify even if it required ID with the signature.

Good point G Randy Brown but nothing to stop someone steeling it as long as they cover the camera unless the drone is to big to stuff in a van if they can't get at the parcel.

How many will be brought down and the delivery it’s carrying be stolen. Also as others have said, how will they prove delivery has been made? Enough deliveries already ‘fail’ to arrive!

Good point G Randy Brown but nothing to stop someone steeling it as long as they cover the camera unless the drone is to big to stuff in a van if they can't get at the parcel.
I didn't even think about what could/would happen if the drone had to get close enuf that it could be grabbed

Anyone that has a business is well aware of what can be classified as a tax deduction. Jeff is by no means a dummy or a mental midget.
In my mind, this entire silly venture is, and was always, planned as just that. A tax dodge. Simple business decision. His accountant team is laughing all the way to the bank.

Interesting take: Noted.

Sorry I just don't see anything from a supermarket being delivered to a home. Even small Amazon orders vary so much in size and weight I just don't see small drone delivery cost effective for most items. Power lines, phone lines, birds, temperature, winds, snow, rain, trees, poles, emergency aircraft... what else could go wrong. What might happen (and I have doubts about this) would possibly be very large multirotors able to lift large heavy pods containing items to be delivered from a main hub to outlying distribution centers. I'd think the flights would be similar to how the military operates their drones in the NAS now...flight paths made & requested, radar, and standard high tech flight equipment on the aircraft itself plus a complicated operations flight center to safely operate and fly the drone. I just can't see it done without some human monitoring during flights (for obvious reasons), especially when landing on a helipad in a congested part of a city. Seems like a huge cost compared to electric trucks and the limited human workforce they are trying to replace. For large heavy items, they don't use helicopters for this now and probably not because of how much the pilot makes in wages. The exception might be in very remote places of the world.
Maybe they'll improve on the jet pack and the delivery person will just fly in with a Yeti lunch pail holding my ice cold 6 pack of beer...

I don’t see how such deliveries could be financially viable.

I like Russ, but he's full of nonsense sometimes. And this is one of them. Fear mongering and placating the paranoids.

Neither the hobby nor the commercial side of the drone world is going to be ending. Period.

The Drone system they have been testing is well known and been reported on.
And considering it can carry a payload of 5lbs (75% of Amazon orders weigh less)...what does this thing weigh? And yes folks here is the kicker: "As part of the inbuilt safety features the drones will be restricted to 400 feet so they won’t encounter airplanes or helicopters." That puts them right in "our" airspace. But lucky it has a "Bunch" of sensors:

The drone comes with visual, thermal and sonar cameras. The visual and thermal cameras work with computer vision algorithms to identify objects or people that are in the drone’s path. If the drone detects a person in the package drop-off zone it will automatically stop its descent. The computer vision software can spot airborne objects and even detect thin clothes lines. "(Better than SkyDio can do!) The below links clear up some questions in this thread. As they have hired a High end executive from Boeing to run the whole program, it looks to be months away from some areas. As they have been testing since Dec 7th, 2016.

Amazon Delivery Drone: Five Key Things We Know So Far

prime-air_03.jpg

Last edited:
That puts them right in "our" airspace.

Guess what, It's "their" airspace too. We don't have exclusivity. This is not the gloom and doom issue people seem to think it is. Russ is being irresponsible for fanning those flames.

Guess what, It's "their" airspace too. We don't have exclusivity. This is not the gloom and doom issue people seem to think it is. Russ is being irresponsible for fanning those flames.

I understand that as well, that was in rebuttal to the post saying the airspace above 400' but sub 500' would be allotted to them.

"They are also going to most likely have there own flight space : Im thinking 425 ft to avoid most birds and drones."

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zacf