DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pro English Autumn Woods

dougpohlman

Reactions
Hi everyone just started this I’ll hobby in March – and just thought I would share some nice shots of my local area – any feedback warmly welcome-I’m a musician as well that’s me playing piano piece I composed-any thoughts on how to improve welcome--aiming to do this for a living eventually!
Cheers!

To my eyes you have too much variation between the dark shots and bright shots and there were too many into the sun shots, sorry.

First off, this was a very good effort for a newbee. With that said, you need to slow down the gimbal movement and increase the lag after releasing the stick on your movement of the camera. That way the gimbal is not doing as abrupt of a change in position, it will look more flowing when you adjust the sensitivity to make everything slower.

Your light shots were over exposed a bit and your dark shots were under exposed a bit. Limit into sun shooting unless you really want that effect. The only well exposed shot were the trees in the last scene right before you cut to the last into the sun shot. I did like your music and you did a nice job of the scene cuts/transitions, to match the music. You're on your way and extra lucky to be able to compose your own music.

Hey thanks I appreciate any feedback to help improve... I know the smooth gimbal operation is a thing I can only fix by going back and re-shooting (since these shots I have discovered that one..) but the under-exposed / over-exposed problem--how much can be fixed in post do you think? I've tried to play with it and it looks a bit better... but I think it's difficult to fix..it's got to be shot right in the first place I think? Is the tell-tale sign of over-exposure the pure white sky ? It's tricky against the dark trees and bright sky..is the trick just basically not shooting into the sun?... but what if you actually want the nice sunrise in it with the dark trees??.. is this where the magic of post production comes in to sort thing ?? Any detailed advice welcome...thanks..

Hi everyone just started this I’ll hobby in March – and just thought I would share some nice shots of my local area – any feedback warmly welcome-I’m a musician as well that’s me playing piano piece I composed-any thoughts on how to improve welcome--aiming to do this for a living eventually!
Cheers!

I viewed about the first 30% of the film and shut it down.
(1)The color balance was way off....too much green. It needs to be warmed up a bit
(2) Needs more contrast, detail or sharpening
(3) the sky was totally blown out- white as a ghost with no detail, clouds, color, etc.
(4) The best thing that can be said is the the piano music was wonderful, and well played.

Any detailed advice welcome
HI Doug, what drone are you using? That would help with a more detailed answer regarding the exposure and also setting up the drone.

EDIT: OK, I'm a divvy, the clue is in the title lol.
I would suggest that firstly you watch the following two YT videos, they are both very good and knowledgeable and you will pick up some great tips.
and

If you have any questions afterwards, then please ask more on this forum as there are some very knowledgeable guys on here who are very helpful.
Good luck and keep practising. You will get there.
Regards
Steve

Last edited:
Hey thanks I appreciate any feedback to help improve... I know the smooth gimbal operation is a thing I can only fix by going back and re-shooting (since these shots I have discovered that one..) but the under-exposed / over-exposed problem--how much can be fixed in post do you think? I've tried to play with it and it looks a bit better... but I think it's difficult to fix..it's got to be shot right in the first place I think? Is the tell-tale sign of over-exposure the pure white sky ? It's tricky against the dark trees and bright sky..is the trick just basically not shooting into the sun?... but what if you actually want the nice sunrise in it with the dark trees??.. is this where the magic of post production comes in to sort thing ?? Any detailed advice welcome...thanks..
The best advise I can give is to use a large screen monitor like an iPad 9.5 inch, and watch the exposure settings as you set them before starting to fly. Put the drone up in the air, and compose the shot. Of course you do not want to shoot directly in to the sun! It will blow out all other details. I would turn ON the Histogram and be sure you are not clipping either side (right side-bright, left side shadows). If you expose to the right of the histogram , so as to not blow out the details in the whites of the sky, it would be better. You can't get those back in post if you have over exposed them. If you fly directly in to the bright sun, of course you need to change the exposures.

I envy your piano playing.

Reactions: scdronemedia
HI Doug, what drone are you using? That would help with a more detailed answer regarding the exposure and also setting up the drone.

EDIT: OK, I'm a divvy, the clue is in the title lol.
I would suggest that firstly you watch the following two YT videos, they are both very good and knowledgeable and you will pick up some great tips.
and

If you have any questions afterwards, then please ask more on this forum as there are some very knowledgeable guys on here who are very helpful.
Good luck and keep practising. You will get there.
Regards
Steve
Thanks so much for vids and advise! Merry Xmas to all!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scaredycat