DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ENHANCED WARNING ZONE won't go away - Flying in a completely "legal" area - help!

Salla50

Reactions
Hi,

I have had this coming up once per flight since i got the MPP. I am flying in a completely safe zone where I live; ie completely non-restricted for a few clicks in each direction

But now the bloody thing is popping up every few seconds which is completely bonkers. I can't fly, basically, around my home.

Is there anything to be done?

Thanks for any pointers!

Hi,

I have had this coming up once per flight since i got the MPP. I am flying in a completely safe zone where I live; ie completely non-restricted for a few clicks in each direction

But now the bloody thing is popping up every few seconds which is completely bonkers. I can't fly, basically, around my home.

Is there anything to be done?

Thanks for any pointers!

See this post:
Warning Private Airfield

Reactions: Salla50
Is it keeping you from flying? You can shut off the notifications on the device if that’s all it is.

Happened to me once in an area I fly often without issues. Wouldn't go away until I landed the drone and restarted everything. Couldn't use the app at all when it happened.

So a website is guessing at what it might be, anything from a drone to a 3D camera. Another website using only information from that website and states it looks to be another drone. So it's speculation on top of wider speculation.

All of this Mavic 2 crap is getting really old. Remember when they release the Ronin S? That was supposed to be the Mavic 2 as well.

So a website is guessing at what it might be, anything from a drone to a 3D camera. Another website using only information from that website and states it looks to be another drone. So it's speculation on top of wider speculation.

All of this Mavic 2 crap is getting really old. Remember when they release the Ronin S? That was supposed to be the Mavic 2 as well.

:confused:o_O:confused:o_O

Is it keeping you from flying? You can shut off the notifications on the device if that’s all it is.

How do I do this? I always am very careful not to fly in a no fly zone, and consult an online map almost daily specifically for this purpose, so turning of the notification would be good. Or do you mean cancelling it each time it appears? In this case its a no go, as it reappears literally a couple of seconds after cancelling it. Severly distracting to the flying and filming.

Happened to me once in an area I fly often without issues. Wouldn't go away until I landed the drone and restarted everything. Couldn't use the app at all when it happened.
I will try today, but honestly it's really put me off flying for now :-(, Im nervous enough already taking up the bird, but with this distraction every couple of seconds my confidence is just ebbing away completely.

good one, thanks.

So it seems I need to be on an active internet to easily solve the problem, or hopefully it will :)

It's possible i was not connected to the internet with the remote phone. I basically only use it as the controller, for nothing else and it's linked to my home internet or main cellphone if I have the wifi hotspot on which is usual. It's possible i wandered further from my home internet than usual and left my main cellphone inside. I will def run further tests and report back.

But its still begging the question why it's telling me Im in a danger zone in the first place?

Ok thanks to @lisadoc I now understand more fully. And there's a clumsy work around, but one none-the-less

here's what the DJI map looks like...

Link on website: DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

upload_2018-6-21_5-47-38.png

Thus, according to DJI Im in an enhanced warning zone

This is completely insane, as according to the official swiss aviation authority I'm in a safe zone, so where the heck does DJI get their data from? Those green circles are airfields zones which are stricly NO FLY, yet only "warning zones" by DJI! How screwed up is that?!

Oh, and nice one with the ever so slightly-if-at-all different shades of green for the warning/enhanced warning zone differences. I see DJI are commissioning a huge skyscraper headquarters in China, they could invest some of their billions in revenue in getting stuff right.

Any how, thanks to all. I seem to have some fix possibilities here rather than moving over to Litchi which was my next port of call :)

Last edited:
But its still begging the question why it's telling me Im in a danger zone in the first place?

Because it's DJI... a Chinese company trying to determine the locations and classifications of airfields all around the globe using outdated and geographically incorrect databases of unknown origin. Even the FAA's own database can be wildly inaccurate for smaller and/or older airfields in the US. If the governmental agency in charge of all US airfields can't keep them straight, there's not much hope that a drone company (with no real incentive to get all of the data correct) will be the most accurate resource for airfields spread out across the planet.

I thought I saw once that any permissions added to allow the drone to fly had to be done on a PC or a Mac platform. Are mobile devices allowed to add exceptions to operate?

I thought I saw once that any permissions added to allow the drone to fly had to be done on a PC or a Mac platform. Are mobile devices allowed to add exceptions to operate?

Yes. Either will work. You can use a computer to seek approvals prior to flying a location if you wish, or if you're at a particular location already and your mobile device has Internet, you can request permission "on the fly".

Because it's DJI... a Chinese company trying to determine the locations and classifications of airfields all around the globe using outdated and geographically incorrect databases of unknown origin. Even the FAA's own database can be wildly inaccurate for smaller and/or older airfields in the US. If the governmental agency in charge of all US airfields can't keep them straight, there's not much hope that a drone company (with no real incentive to get all of the data correct) will be the most accurate resource for airfields spread out across the planet.

II would argue that it is wholly in DJI's interest to get the most accurate data from local authorities possible and update it on the fly or at very least asap. Ultimately they can argue with any local authority that they are using their supplied info to the letter and therefore put the onus of responsibility for any problems due to zoning errors back on the supplying local authority. If drone-flying problems arise specifically because of DJI's erroneous data, when local and updated data is freely available then who gets the finger pointed at them?

A strong argument from any government to ban or restrict drones is that there's a lack of interest from the drone makers to highlight correct information to users as regards no-fly zones, etc. As such local legislation and anti-drone media coverage is increased, reducing potential consumer sales as people become more and more disenfranchised with the whole idea of drone ownership and usage.

Indeed, one of the main reasons I purchased, finally a great drone, was because I do live in a completely safe zone with free flying all round. Now, to find I am actually in a warning zone erroneously, according to DJI, is a fly in the ointment. But I can imagine many potential customers being put off wrongly, even purchasing a drone because of wrong info.

With the many billions of USD involved (reading that the drone market for 2017 was 17 billion USD with DJI controlling 70% of it), it's wholly and completely in DJI's interest to invested a tiny, miniscule, fraction of their profits into updating regularly their zone information in accordance with local data.

OK. I just went out for a flight this morning. No problem, no warning even. Connected all the time to my cell phone internet.

Will monitor next flights but it seems to have cured the problem. Hopefully this will help others in a similar jam.

1) try and ensure connection to internet for the remote phone
2) if not, visit the DJI site here and register your flight (you get 3 days grace) in the zone of contention DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

How do I do this? I always am very careful not to fly in a no fly zone, and consult an online map almost daily specifically for this purpose, so turning of the notification would be good. Or do you mean cancelling it each time it appears? In this case its a no go, as it reappears literally a couple of seconds after cancelling it. Severly distracting to the flying and filming.

7BE4BDB6-8F71-462F-9EA4-D6AAA106779E.jpeg 3AECE346-3B59-4C0B-B7C4-F45B199B6031.jpeg

thanks for that but for the life of me I can't find it in my app. I went through all the settings today to try and find it. Maybe you're running IOS and it gives more options?

You have to tap the little gear icon near the top right if you have it in map view. I guess I don’t know if it different on android versions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000