DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

error msg. R/C not connected to mobile device

rscheff

Reactions
I got a replacement drone from DJI under warranty and it lasted about 2 weeks before problems started. This problem is intermittent which makes it even more difficult to solve. It started on 6/19/22. I took out my drone and turned it on and I received an error msg., "R/C not connected to mobile device" and a complete black screen except with writing. The drone could be flown manually but I could not see anything. My son has a mini and tried his and he had no problems. I shut down and started back up several times. I disconnected and reconnected and nothing. I checked the firmware maybe for an update but there was no firmware, everything said N/A. I gave up until the next day I took it out on my deck and guess what? It started right up as if nothing was wrong. Towards the end of the day I took it out again. I now received another error message saying "Weak Signal". I clicked OK and tried to fly and the message came right back. I checked the firmware and again it was all gone. This happened to me 3 or 4 more times over this week. I have called DJI twice, the first time the drone was working so they said they could not trouble shoot and call back when it was not working. I did this and the drone that was not working mysteriously got better with the tech doing nothing.

I have since then sent 2 e-mails to DJI and they asked for my flight records which I sent them 4 days ago. They just today acknowledged getting them. The problem is, and I said this to them, if there was no flight then there were no records and because there was no connection between the RC and my phone there was no way to record the flight records. That was the first thing I did was check the flight records. There was one day that I flew a little with no connection and that was the 19th, I had flight records for the 18th, the 20th and on but nothing for that day.

If there is anyone out there that has experienced this problem, what is the answer?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220619-152633.jpg
    Screenshot_20220619-152633.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20220622-151539.jpg
    Screenshot_20220622-151539.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20220620-182809_Dronelink.jpg
    Screenshot_20220620-182809_Dronelink.jpg
    657.6 KB · Views: 5
Regarding "R/C not connected to mobile device" there are several possible causes that I know of
1) connectors not properly home in the relevant sockets, this would normally be at the phone end of things.
2) Damage to either or both sockets (phone and controller).
3) A dodgy cable, be that at the plugs on either end or in the cable itself.
Unfortunately testing is a matter of swapping each component, controller, cable, phone, one at a time and testing after each swap.
What phone are you using and if Android what is its socket? Micro USB sockets seem vulnerable to damage and I actually use a cable slider from a Mavic 2 Pro controller in the Mini controller's arm. It seems safer to me than, in the space available, trying to manually plug a micro USB plug into the phone.

As for the weak signal I would treat that as an entirely separate issue. Whilst I get weak signal messages unless the problems relate to the location e.g. interference or objects such as trees blocking the signal weak signal warnings are normally corrected by moving the antennae so that they are perpendicular to the line of sight between the controller and drone as shown on page 29 of the manual.
If the problem is thought to stem from the location I would compare what your drone indicates to that shown by your son's drone and controller when they are flown in the same place and as near as possible the same time.
Just a point, both my Mavic Mini and Mini 2 are prone to weak signal errors when directly overhead and the problem gets worse as their height increases.

Reactions: EyesWideShut
This is a replacement drone and has, I believe, a limited warranty. One DJI employee confusingly said I had a one year warranty from the date that I received it, but then said, "No worry, we will give you a 90 day warranty". I asked what does that mean but no response yet. I bring this up because I am not sure how much time I have to figure this out. Since this issue started, 6/19/22, It has happened 5 times and it mysteriously just goes away without doing anything. Sometimes I just shut everything down and re-start and it is alright. I have since the first issue had another issue. The auto light adjustment stopped working and had to be set manually. I flew at dusk and the screen was black, I adjusted the aperture and I could see. The next day (sunny) the screen was white, I again adjust it and it was fine. It said it was in the auto position but I recalibrated the camera and it seems to be working fine now. I initially thought these problems were with the A/C but since reading your letter I am not sure. I believe, from what you wrote, that the connection issue is not in the aircraft. The second issue I am not sure. My problem now is that after numerous communications with DJI they keep saying to send the drone back, not the remote or cords, just the drone. I have repeatedly said that I do not think it is the drone exclusively but they ignore me. I just sent another e-mail an hour ago saying that I want to send everything back and just give me everything new even if I have to pay for it. Let's see what they say.

As far as the Weak Signal alert, I have never had one of these while the aircraft is sitting on the ground, 2 feet away from me. I get them all the time while flying and it tells me to adjust the antennas. I think it is related to the loss of connection between the remote and the phone and the subsequent screenshot showing "firmware N/A".

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220620-182809_Dronelink.jpg
    Screenshot_20220620-182809_Dronelink.jpg
    657.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20220619-152633.jpg
    Screenshot_20220619-152633.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20220622-151539.jpg
    Screenshot_20220622-151539.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals