DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ESC Status Error

Geezer

Reactions
After a month or so of downtime, I got out my old Mavic Pro to fly this morning. The batteries charged up as usual and the controller and drone gave their usual beeps. It wouldn't spin up the motors or take off and the error message on screen was "ESC Status Error". Powering down and up again didn't fix it. DJI support informs me that this model is "end of life" and no longer supported. I downloaded DJI Assistant 2, but it wouldn't connect.
Suggestions?

Each Electronic Speed Controller in DJI drones has its own micro-controller. These ESC micro-controllers talk to Flight controller.

The "ESC Status Error" happens in these cases:
* The ESC uC does not respond to messages from FC (ie. got disconnected by board damage, or did not booted by FW damage)
* The ESC uC determines that one of the monitored parameters (voltages, currents or resistances) is out of defined bounds
* The ESC uC receives error status from the actual motor control circuit

Every ESC works individually. You can verify which ESC caused an issue in your Flight Log.

So the possible areas of damage are:
* motor, or its connection to MOSFETS
* high power MOSFETs, or their connection to motor control chip
* motor control chip, or its connection to ESC uC chip
* ESC uC chip, its firmware, or its connection to FC chip

If I remember right, Mavic has a separate ESC board. So if component level repair is beyond your abilities, test motors and then replace either them or the ESC board.

Note, on Phantoms the last released firmware was narrowing the acceptable parameters - so some people started getting ESC Status Error after FW update. But I don't know about such issue on Mavics.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cafguy
After a month or so of downtime, I got out my old Mavic Pro to fly this morning. The batteries charged up as usual and the controller and drone gave their usual beeps. It wouldn't spin up the motors or take off and the error message on screen was "ESC Status Error". Powering down and up again didn't fix it. DJI support informs me that this model is "end of life" and no longer supported. I downloaded DJI Assistant 2, but it wouldn't connect.
Suggestions?
You have 3 types, dji assistant 2 = old drones, dji assistant 2 consumer drone series = Newer drones - not old mavic pro , then dji assistant 2 enterprise series.

I have 10 drones starting with mavic pro and use all 3 dji assistants

After re-downloading Assistant 2, the connection did work, but the data was either not helpful or not readable.
Even though the drone has never crashed or even had a hard landing, I disassembled it this morning and inspected the circuit boards and connections. Everything looks perfect and the same "ESC status error" shows up on my tablet upon reassembly. I guess some component in the ESC circuitry has gone south. Even if I could source a new main board, I doubt that I could successfully remake all the connections with the goo that DJI uses to bulletproof everything.
So, I guess I'm in the market for a replacement aircraft that's compatible with my controller and extensive collection of accessories.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PolKrestof