DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

EU standardises regulations for drones

zocalo

Reactions
Some updates on common rules on drones within the EU from the Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2019/945 and Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2019/947.

No surprise that they would do this, but standardised flight restrictions, limitation, and best of all, registration certification; any commercial/recreational flight registation and licensing will apply EU wide once this comes into force. Seems like there are going to additional nuances (e.g. the ability to fly at night, over built up areas, etc.) that will be available to a pilot upon completion of the necessary training and paperwork as well. Should level the playfield for some EU countries that have overly restrictive requirements at present, although they have up to one year to implement the necessary changes.

Some updates on common rules on drones within the EU from the Commission Delegated Regulation (EU) 2019/945 and Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2019/947.

No surprise that they would do this, but standardised flight restrictions, limitation, and best of all, registration certification; any commercial/recreational flight registation and licensing will apply EU wide once this comes into force. Seems like there are going to additional nuances (e.g. the ability to fly at night, over built up areas, etc.) that will be available to a pilot upon completion of the necessary training and paperwork as well. Should level the playfield for some EU countries that have overly restrictive requirements at present, although they have up to one year to implement the necessary changes.
By which time the UK will be out of the European Union and not governed by Europeans Laws/treaties.

So who knows?........ will be up to the CAA/EASA to negotiate and implement what they see fit.
Could be more restrictive.....could be less.

Reactions: davemorts
By which time the UK will be out of the European Union and not governed by Europeans Laws/treaties.

So who knows?........ will be up to the CAA/EASA to negotiate and implement what they see fit.
Could be more restrictive.....could be less.

Maybe, but it does seem likely to be one area that would (eventually) be harmonised. This came up in the Parliament discussions last week and they're certainly keen on adopting the common set of rules, so perhaps they'll align with this in the UK's new legislation due later this year?

Of course, whether your UK based CAA registation, PFCO, or whatever, will apply across the EU (and vice versa) post Brexit is anyone's guess since that kind of reciprocation will depend on the eventual trade agreement and other negotiations that will begin after we actually leave. Assuming we actually do, of course.

This might be a negative for pilots in those European countries that have been fairly unrestricted when it comes to drone operations.

For example, this sort of thing will be mandated now:

(b)ensures, in real time during the whole duration of the flight, the direct periodic broadcast from the UA using an open and documented transmission protocol, of the following data, in a way that they can be received directly by existing mobile devices within the broadcasting range:
ithe UAS operator registration number;
iithe unique physical serial number of the UA compliant with standard ANSI/CTA-2063;
iiithe geographical position of the UA and its height above the surface or take-off point;
ivthe route course measured clockwise from true north and ground speed of the UA; and
vthe geographical position of the remote pilot or, if not available, the take-off point;
(c)ensures that the user cannot modify the data mentioned under paragraph (b) points ii, iii, iv and v;

Last edited:
Every DJI Occusync device already sends the serial number and other data to any receiver within range.

Every DJI Occusync device already sends the serial number and other data to any receiver within range.

I thought DJI claimed that the current version of Aeroscope didn't send share data like serial numbers?

The aeroscope implementation software wise they claim doesnt allow it (its 1 line of code to alter that behaviour though).

But the actual downlink from the drone DOES send that data regardless of Aeroscope (or the 3rd party copies) policy on sharing it.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Confused.....?????

I thought this thread was about standardization of regulations across the EU member states EU 2019/945/947 - not whether UAV’s send information to DJI’s Aeroscope.

My mistake.

Sounds like another dead proposal of which 90% is going to get tossed in the bin by my country's govt, especially given how there's not enough personnel to even enforce current regulations.

Sounds like another dead proposal of which 90% is going to get tossed in the bin by my country's govt, especially given how there's not enough personnel to even enforce current regulations.

This isn't a proposal, it's pending EU law. Once it's formally on the books on July 1st, EU members are obliged to implement all the relevant articles into their own statute books within a year. I am assuming the UK will bring this is as part of the new legislation that includes pilot registration due before October (e.g. before the UK is currently scheduled to leave), but I've no idea what will happen to cross-border recognition of pilot paperwork if/when we leave.

Of course, EU member countries can, for whatever reason, decline/fail to implement EU law, but in that case they can be penalised by the EU for failing to meet their obligations. Implementation but near zero enforcement (e.g. the best of both worlds) is usually a safer option. Whether the EU actually will penalise anyone over this is anyone's guess. The EU is far from consistent in enforcing this, but generally the bigger contributors to the EU budget seem to get away with it a lot more than those that are not.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Phew, good thing the EU doesn't not know about the level of "implementing" GDPR or the "cookie law" over here.

Yeah, the EU courts are definitely more focussed on big-ticket items like rule of law and refugee quotas (both of which they're suing Poland over) than niche things like this. Then again, there's potentially a truckload of money in commercial drone schemes for which this law is an enabler, so they might be a little more on the ball on this. Another factor will be the size of the hole Brexit leaves in the EU budgets, especially if the UK decides on a really hard exit and defaults on the settlement fee leaving them desperate for cash. Using the GDPR to go after Facebook or Google would probably be a better option there though.

Time will tell, I guess.

Even if this does actually get implemented the way it sounds in the directive, the probability of this being actively enforced is around 2%. I'm speaking from experience.

Similar in the UK; earlier this week they pretty much acknowledged that the random enforcement of their upcoming registration scheme would be zero unless there was something else to get the police involved. Not that this will surprise anyone here that has been following the discussions on the matter.

In Spain a commercial drone pilot already has the options to fly at night, over crowds, beyond visual line of sight and in controlled air space

I’m in the application process for a commercial operators license with AESA. Opted for flying at night. I have to provide documentation for visibility lights.

Flying at Night - Restricted to under 2kg weight, 50m altitude and the fitting of visibility lights.

Over crowds - Under 10kg and approved parachute fitted. Contact AESA for permission to fly.

BVLOS - Spotter at 500m, the spotter must be a qualified drone pilot, possible fitting of a transponder to warn other aircraft

CTR - Radio operators certificate. Contact AESA for permission to fly. Notify the airport where and when the flight will take place.

The above requires additional documentation for your operators and safety manuals.

A commercial operator can fly in the National parks with an authorisation from AESA.

A Commercial operator can fly in the RVF zones (military with restrictions on arial filming) With the permission of the ministry of defence.

A commercial operator can fly within 8km (5 miles) of a small airfield after presenting operators license and notifying the airfield where and when the flight will take place. Airfield approval is required.

Currently the UK PfCO is not recognise in Spain. The Spanish qualification required 60 hours of theory, 6 hours flight time and final exam. Plus an exam on the characteristics of the drone you are using. An LAPL medical certificate.

The Spanish license is not currently recognised for flying in other EU countries. Except for the UK. Permission can be provided by the CAA for commercial flights. On submitting the PfCO paperwork.

An EU wide EASA drone policy would be useful. At present I can be insured to fly drones across Europe but don’t have permission to fly commercially in each EU country.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000