DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Questions on EU Drone Regulations - Seeking Concise Clarifications

Gerald_Affalterbach

Reactions
Hello fellow drone enthusiasts,

I've been trying to get a clear picture of the EU Drone Regulations, but I'm finding the wealth of information online a bit overwhelming and, at times, contradictory. With the regulations now fully in effect, I'm aiming to understand the essentials without getting lost in the details. My main goal is to responsibly integrate drone technology into my projects while staying compliant with EU laws.

From what I understand, the EU has categorized drone operations into 'open', 'specific', and 'certified' categories, with the 'open' category further divided into A1, A2, and A3 subcategories (? Was ist die offene Kategorie für eine Drohne?). However, the specifics of what differentiates these categories and what's required for each are still a bit murky to me.

Could anyone provide a straightforward summary or point me towards a resource that breaks down these categories in a clear, concise manner? Specifically, I'm curious about:
  1. What are the main distinctions between the 'open', 'specific', and 'certified' categories?
  2. What are the practical differences between the A1, A2, and A3 subcategories within the 'open' category?
  3. What kind of qualifications, registrations, or licenses do I need to legally fly a drone in each category?
Also, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the effectiveness and practicality of these regulations. Do they strike a good balance between safety and innovation? Or do they lean too heavily in one direction?

I appreciate any insights you can provide. Navigating the regulatory landscape is crucial for anyone looking to use drones, whether for hobby or professional purposes, and I'm sure I'm not the only one seeking clarity on these points.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Best!

Instead of asking someone on a forum to explain with their own interpretations Germany's drone rules (as you put this post in the forum section for Germany)... I would advice you to seek out all necessary info directly from the official sources.

Here are 2 official links to start up with... looks that they will give you answers for all your 3 questions.

Checklist for drone pilots

Fragen und Antworten zu Unbemannten Luftfahrtsystemen/Drohnen

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne