DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Excessive Compass Calibration

Teacherbytes

Reactions
It seems I need to do a compass calibration about every other time I start my Mavic Air. Is there a reason for this? My Spark didn’t need so many compass calibrations.

Almost every time we fly. It's quite annoying. I'm not sure why it keeps on asking for calibrations all the time. I hope they fix it in the next firmware update.

I used to start my Mavic Air indoors and then carry it sideways outside - don’t ask me why! Needed calibration every time. Now I only power it up when it is sitting on ground ready for take-off - never once had to recalibrate it.....

Whenever I change location for more than maybe 5-10km I have to calibrate as the bird refuses to take off.
What I recognized is:
1. the compass value is fine (as it was calibrated not long ago), small green bar
2. as long as I dont have GPS fix, i can fly (atti or opti). Once GPS is fixed, i get the error message that I have to calibrate.
Happening with latest firmware (and the two firmwares before the recent one).

To me it looks like at the moment the bird recognizes it has been moved from home/last calibration location it requests a new calibration.

I just had my bird swapped to a new one by DJI, but because of the weather I wasnt able to test it. Just one flight and yes, same issue.

Don't assume because you recieved the warning that it needs a cal. A nail or other metal object in the grass/soil at the right spot can throw the compass off. Every time I've recieved a compass warning I was able to make it go away simply by moving to a different location, sometimes only 2 feet away.

Don't assume because you recieved the warning that it needs a cal. A nail or other metal object in the grass/soil at the right spot can throw the compass off. Every time I've recieved a compass warning I was able to make it go away simply by moving to a different location, sometimes only 2 feet away.

These aren't warnings you can ignore. It forces a calibration or you can't take off.

Reactions: Endeavor
Not on mine. I can get rid of them without a cal

It is a different "warning". As I explained, the error pops in once GPS is available. The compass sensor value is the same all the time, very low and green. It has nothing to do with a nail or metal object - i know THAT kind of magnetic interference which will also result in a visible change of compass sensor value to 100+ and turn it yellow or red. You can still take off when the bar is yellow - but you can't when this specific error shows up even if the bar is green!
You can move around, doesn't change anything. Turning off and on on different locations doesnt change anything.

As I said, it seems to be a software issue - as long as you don't have GPS or wasnt moved from last place, it's fine. Once GPS fix is available AND location changed, it want's to calibrate the compass (and showing "can not take off"). No way to get around without doing a calibration. Believe me, I tried everything.

I used to start my Mavic Air indoors and then carry it sideways outside - don’t ask me why! Needed calibration every time. Now I only power it up when it is sitting on ground ready for take-off - never once had to recalibrate it.....
Obviously there was a difference in the magnetic environment from indoors to out. That one is easy to explain. You can replicate it- the warning would disappear if you moved back to where you powered up.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan