DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

EXP, the Mini 2 and Me.

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I admit, my memory isn't so good any more that I easily remember where settings are or have been. So I updated the GoFly app and firmware and discovered EXP. Were the pitch/gimal speed and smoothness under advance settings before, or under Advanced Gimbal Settings where they are now? Initially I thought they disappeared, though set as I liked them. And while I have a Mavic 2 Pro, which only has EXP, but also has sensitivity and gain settings, I thought the EXP would be a help for me. WRONG.

Without understanding that there were also underlying advanced settings of the old speed/smoothness of pitch/yaw which were already set, at the suggestion of @old man mavic I went about testing the EXP settings individually. I initially tested them indoors because what I'm really looking for is precision in tight spaces. I tried low EXP settings, high EXP settings, and in each case getting away from factory settings made handling less precise. Now that was indoors.

Today I wanted to fly my Mini over an excavation of a water main break off the corner of my home. The wind was gusty, with 18-32mph at 100 ft and 13-27 at ground level. I like to launch off a second floor balcony, then land it in a large paved clearing on the ground to reset the RTH home spot for RTH purposes. With the EXP settings dialed down to relatively low numbers, the Mini 2 was a lot like riding a bucking Bronco. The wind would push it a bit and I had a real challenge wrestling it back to the spot that I wanted. 21 satellites locked, btw.

I did not have a good time flying my Mini 2 today feeling that I had far less control. I'm sure it's because I don't understand EXP as it's applied in the Mini 2 with different other settings than the Mavic 2. I really like the pitch/yaw speed/smooth settings of the Mini 2 and have just reset the EXP to factory until I can figure this out. Can someone, in real terms, tell me what the EXP settings to do help the Mini 2, given that there are the other advanced controls under "advanced gimbal settings". How does EXP help the Mini 2?

Reactions: PeterPatrick
@vindibona1 the settings do not alter the way the drone flies, they alter the reaction the drone makes to a given stick movement so it allows the sticks to move a certain distance before there is a reaction from the drone,if you have very good stick control there is no point changing the factory settings ,but if you find that the drone reacts too suddenly, to only a small amount of stick movement then the expo settings can be altered to try and reduce that sudden reaction
also one of the main reasons that the expo settings were reintroduced in the fly App was because the many people who used the GO4 App missed the ability to be able to fine tune those settings ,and also there has been a lot of criticism of the M3 's very jerky reactions to small stick inputs during flight

For normal flight I set them at 0.5 which is the straight line version, i.e. double the degree 'push', double the degree of response.
When testing to see if the EXP thing worked and 'stuck' with the Mavic Mini I set the yaw to 0.9 ( I couldn't set it higher) which gave the maximum response i.e. maximum yaw rate for ANY yaw input from the yaw stick i.e. as soon as any yaw was commanded the drone went straight to the maximum yaw rate.
The steeper the gradient of the graph at a particular point, the greater the change in response for a change in stick position when the stick is at the corresponding point.

The two main ones to dial back are the Yaw and the Left/Right, as those are the ones that you want the most control over, to make them more gentle, for smoother turns and orbits. The .10 setting works best.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803