DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Expected use of remote mav pro 2 on battery charge

It would be interesting to see if your S7 treats the Mavic controller any differently if fast charging is disabled.

All I have ever really said or cared about in regard to this issue is that with Fast Charging enabled on the S7, the Mavic Pro RC battery drains a lot faster than when Fast Charging on the S7 is disabled - it's a simple as that. Anything in regard to "500mA at 5V" or similar would have been content in other posts to which I referred.

Some people have experienced the same thing and, as you pointed out, others have not and/or don't believe that it could occur in the first place. And so what if people don't understand what Fast Charging is - that and all of the technical detail you want to throw at the argument does not change the facts in terms of what is actually occurring with most (from what I can gather) Android devices.

Again I stress that I'm referring only to my particular experience with the S7/Mavic Pro RC combination - to explain what is happening with the Note 8 is a waste of time IMHO.

I have a "Note 4" and use it as an exclusive screen for my MP remote control. For daily use, I have a "S7edge", and I think it comes very close to the S7. Both smartphones support fast charging. I will connect both devices one after the other with the remote control and measure the power consumption with and without activated fast-charging. Then I repeat the tests with my prepared USB cable, which I originally made to use a tablet, so it will not be charged during use. Maybe the results are interesting for some people.

Reactions: deleted member 877
I have a "Note 4" and use it as an exclusive screen for my MP remote control. For daily use, I have a "S7edge", and I think it comes very close to the S7. Both smartphones support fast charging. I will connect both devices one after the other with the remote control and measure the power consumption with and without activated fast-charging. Then I repeat the tests with my prepared USB cable, which I originally made to use a tablet, so it will not be charged during use. Maybe the results are interesting for some people.

Could you please also measure the rate of RC battery drain with Fast Charging enabled on the S7 Edge compared to when it is disabled when using an unmodified cable? For those who are experiencing the problem, it's the RC battery drain that is significant - not how much power the Android device consumes or how fast it consumes a given amount of power. Thanks

Yes, I will do all measurements with and without activated fast-charging, as well as with and without prepared cable. You probably meant the percentage representation, as it shows the remote control ... xx% per period of perhaps 20 minutes? A measurement of energy consumption is more meaningful, however, as an aged battery will no longer have the specified capacity and under high load the percent will run down faster. I mean a 1500mAh battery has fully charged 100%, just like a full battery with 3000mAh ... In short, an indication in percent would be meaningful only if in fact all remote control batteries would have exactly the same capacity. But that is very unlikely. Maybe I have misinterpreted your question, do not understand exactly what is important to you :)

Assumption ahead ... The two possible outputs of the MP remote controls will have a pre-set amp limit of something close to 500mA. So it does not matter what kind of charging mode is activated on any smartphone. On the other hand, the fast charge activated on the smartphone can ensure a higher consumption because a current limitation is opened here.

Assumption ahead ... The two possible outputs of the MP remote controls will have a pre-set amp limit of something close to 500mA. So it does not matter what kind of charging mode is activated on any smartphone. On the other hand, the fast charge activated on the smartphone can ensure a higher consumption because a current limitation is opened here.

My guess is the same - the RC is putting out close to 500mA, so some devices are seeing that as an opportunity to do a slow charge (it's definitely not indicating "Fast Charge" for me and I don't recall *any* posts specifically saying that it's using Fast Charge - just that it's charging the device), while other devices don't seem to be seeing it as a viable charging source. There may also be some quality variance between devices as well which is causing some of the discrepencies in the results, especially if some RCs are being detected at being below the 500mA threshold by the connected device.

Regardless of what's actually going on and whether or not your RC charges your connected device, the strategy to maximise flight time is pretty clear; make sure everything is fully charged before you start, and use a USB power cell to top either the RC and/or device should that be required. If you can, put the device into flight mode as well to help maximise its battery life, and if you're worried about charge/discharge cycles then try do that in single large hits between flights when a battery gets too low for comfort rather than every chance you get. Realistically though, unless you have a camera bag full of LiPos, as long as you have everything fully charged at the start of a session I don't think the charging bank is going to be needed all that often, except maybe for topping up the phone so you can post the footage online.

Reactions: sea157 and mnis
Yes, I will do all measurements with and without activated fast-charging, as well as with and without prepared cable. You probably meant the percentage representation, as it shows the remote control ... xx% per period of perhaps 20 minutes? A measurement of energy consumption is more meaningful, however, as an aged battery will no longer have the specified capacity and under high load the percent will run down faster. I mean a 1500mAh battery has fully charged 100%, just like a full battery with 3000mAh ... In short, an indication in percent would be meaningful only if in fact all remote control batteries would have exactly the same capacity. But that is very unlikely. Maybe I have misinterpreted your question, do not understand exactly what is important to you :)

Thanks. The important thing for me and others is we have noticed that the RC battery drains a lot faster when the connected Android device has Fast Charging enabled. Can you confirm that is the case using an unmodified cable?

You would no doubt need to start the two tests when both the RC and Android device batteries are at 100%.

All I have ever really said or cared about in regard to this issue is that with Fast Charging enabled on the S7, the Mavic Pro RC battery drains a lot faster than when Fast Charging on the S7 is disabled - it's a simple as that. Anything in regard to "500mA at 5V" or similar would have been content in other posts to which I referred.

Some people have experienced the same thing and, as you pointed out, others have not and/or don't believe that it could occur in the first place. And so what if people don't understand what Fast Charging is - that and all of the technical detail you want to throw at the argument does not change the facts in terms of what is actually occurring with most (from what I can gather) Android devices.

Again I stress that I'm referring only to my particular experience with the S7/Mavic Pro RC combination - to explain what is happening with the Note 8 is a waste of time IMHO.

Yet according to your previous post where you referred me to the dji forums, the Note 8 does behave the same as the S7 and as I said the the S7 supports exactly the same quick charging technology as the Note 8.

Also I've gone to a lot of effort to actually show you that not just technically why that fast charging setting shouldn't make any difference but also in practice the note 8 does not draw any more power either. You keep telling me your S7 is different hence I asked you how your S7 behaves in the same situation but again, you show no evidence of your S7 and complain my note 8 testing is irrelevant.

The S7 makes it easy to verify what type of charging system it believes the Mavic controller is and you can easily prove your point, if the controller is indeed recognised as a fast charge device then that would explain why the setting is making a difference. I will be able to measure the current draw on an S7 but not until next week.

Yet according to your previous post where you referred me to the dji forums, the Note 8 does behave the same as the S7 and as I said the the S7 supports exactly the same quick charging technology as the Note 8.

Also I've gone to a lot of effort to actually show you that not just technically why that fast charging setting shouldn't make any difference but also in practice the note 8 does not draw any more power either. You keep telling me your S7 is different hence I asked you how your S7 behaves in the same situation but again, you show no evidence of your S7 and complain my note 8 testing is irrelevant.

The S7 makes it easy to verify what type of charging system it believes the Mavic controller is and you can easily prove your point, if the controller is indeed recognised as a fast charge device then that would explain why the setting is making a difference. I will be able to measure the current draw on an S7 but not until next week.

Whatever! I'm getting really bored with this. Who really gives a toss anyway! You either put up with the "battery drain" thing (fast charge or not) or you get an iPad.

Reactions: sea157
Whatever! I'm getting really bored with this. Who really gives a toss anyway! You either put up with the "battery drain" thing (fast charge or not) or you get an iPad.

Well I give a toss and so should anyone who uses the Mavic. If your assertion is correct and the S7's do have a defective quick charge system then other S7 users should follow suit and disable fast charge. I didn't think it was unreasonable to ask you to test your own assertion particularly I've spent quite a bit of time doing testing myself but you've refused every time.

This is an incorrect assumption, fast charging isn't literally faster charging as I've seen some people believe and therefore disabling it limits the current draw of the phone. It's a specific technology the setting refers to which if the device and charger both support the technology allow charging to occur at above the 2A@5V USB limit. The Mavic controller does not support fast charge technology which is easily verified as a quick charge compatible phone will not show fast charger connected when it's hooked up to the Mavic controller therefore disabling this setting shouldn't make a difference as it's not in use anyway. Furthermore, even when fast charging is disabled it's still possible for a device to pull a hefty 2A which would be a large power draw and far higher the Mavic controller's 500mA spec.

While theory and reality are different, every test I've tried matches the above with a Note 8 using the following charging:

Mavic controller with Fast Charge enabled - charges at 500mA, approximately three and a half hour charge time
Mavic controller with Fast Charge disabled - charges at 500mA, approximately three and a half hour charge time
Fast charger with Fast charge enabled - charges at full QC2 rate, under an hour charge time
Fast charger with fast charge disabled - charges at 2A, around an hour and a half charge time

I saw a claim that the controller could run at higher power for tablets at around 1A (still well below fast charge levels) but I've not been able to show that either, any tablet I've connected appears to be drawing power at a very low level.

I will have access to an S7 next week and can verify whether or not it can draw more power with fast charging enabled.

Reactions: ff22
Technically, fast charge is anything over the standard USB specs of 500ma. That could mean the 2A@5v or the QC standard using higher voltages. Fast charge term is not standard.
Since QC stands for Quick Charge, one could argue Fast Charge is 500ma-2A@5v.
You won't find much higher than 2A. Cables are likely to burn up.

Reactions: mnis
I think it is you that doesn't understand,no chargeing takes place from bottom usb port on rc

That is a wrong statement!
The bottom USB port will charge an Android device, any Android device connected to the remote from the bottom port or the side port will get charged.
But you can only charge the remote from the side USB port only, you cannot charge the remote from the bottom USB port.

Last edited:
I will have access to an S7 next week and can verify whether or not it can draw more power with fast charging enabled.

I've an S7 Edge and an S3 Tab, and neither has *ever* indicated they are using Fast Charging when connected to the RC, only regular 500mA charging. Both fast charge just fine when connected to the Samsung charger or (in the case of my Edge) when placed on a Fast Charge capable QI wireless charging pad.

Reactions: Johnmcl7
Technically, fast charge is anything over the standard USB specs of 500ma. That could mean the 2A@5v or the QC standard using higher voltages. Fast charge term is not standard.
Since QC stands for Quick Charge, one could argue Fast Charge is 500ma-2A@5v.
You won't find much higher than 2A. Cables are likely to burn up.

'Fast charging' in this context refers to charging above 2A and 5V, the USB spec allows a device to pull a maximum of 2A and 5V so to be able to charge faster than this, companies came up with systems that could run the device at a higher current and voltage. You can see the Qualcomm Quick Charge specifications below, QC2.0 is one of the common ones and it's the one in use on the S7:

Quick Charge - Wikipedia

A Quick Charge 2.0 can draw up to 3A and 12V.

While a device drawing down 2A over USB will charge faster than one at 500mA, it isn't 'fast charging' which can be verified by checking how the phone/tablet identifies the charger. If both the phone and charging source support fast charging then it will show that a fast charger is connected:

SmartSelectImage_2018-11-14-19-34-41.jpg

If though the charger doesn't support fast charging but can support the higher power levels of USB charging then it will simply show a charger being connected:

SmartSelectImage_2018-11-14-19-35-10.jpg
1542224937299.png

The first photo shows where the fast charging setting crystal-pete has referred to would take effect, if fast charge is disabled in the settings then when the phone is connected to a fast charger it will not identify it as a fast charger and instead use the maximum 2A/5V rate.

So for the fast charger setting to affect the Mavic controller power draw, the Mavic controller would have to support fast charging which it definitely does not. Even if it did, switching off fast charging would still allow the device to charge at 2A but the Mavic controller can't do that either. The documentation crystal-pete himself provided shows that the Mavic Controller provides just 500mA which can also be verified on the phone as it identifies the low power draw:

20181114_193553.jpg

With fast charging disabled, the phone still recognises the Mavic controller as the same type of USB power source and has the same slow recharge.

While I can't replicate crystal-pete's assertions about fast charging, it is possible there's a bug on the S7 which is causing this behaviour which would be easily verified on the S7 on the same screens as above. If the controller for some reason isn't producing the 500mA with the fast charging setting disabled then the S7 will show that it's no longer charging and possibly an error that it can't draw sufficient power from the host device.

I've an S7 Edge and an S3 Tab, and neither has *ever* indicated they are using Fast Charging when connected to the RC, only regular 500mA charging. Both fast charge just fine when connected to the Samsung charger or (in the case of my Edge) when placed on a Fast Charge capable QI wireless charging pad.

Thanks for checking your S7 and that matches exactly what I've seen with a variety of devices, I assume you aren't seeing a lower power draw on the S7 with the fast charging setting disabled?

Thanks for checking your S7 and that matches exactly what I've seen with a variety of devices, I assume you aren't seeing a lower power draw on the S7 with the fast charging setting disabled?

Just tried the following, and can't see any obvious effect of flipping the setting:

Connect to RC with fast charge enabled - 48 minutes to full charge, regular charging mode.

Disconnect, disable fast charge, reconnect to RC - 48 minutes to full charge, regular charging. Connect to Samsung charger - 48 minutes to full charge, regular charging, so the setting is definitely working.

Disconnect, re-enable fast charge, reconnect to RC - 47 minutes to full charge, regular charging (presumably it had done some charging in the time it takes to estimate the re-charge times). I then reconnected it to the Samsung charger and the fast-charge time to full charge is 22 minutes.

For Android there's a setting in developer options which allows configuration of the USB port on the phone. Has anyone tried this?

For Android there's a setting in developer options which allows configuration of the USB port on the phone. Has anyone tried this?

It's a different issue but yes, I have to go into Developer Options and change USB Configuration to "MIDI" or "MTP" to get DJI Go 4 to work properly (i.e. recognise the Mavic Pro) on the Galaxy S7. Then I have to remember to change the setting back to "Charge this Phone" otherwise the phone won't charge.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
360Guy