DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Expected use of remote mav pro 2 on battery charge

DuffMog

Reactions
I have just purchased mavic pro 2 & had around 3 flights with 3 batteries.After around one hour flying my remote shows low battery am using with Galaxy S9 + .Can it be that the S9 is charging via the rc controller? Help please.

I have just purchased mavic pro 2 & had around 3 flights with 3 batteries.After around one hour flying my remote shows low battery am using with Galaxy S9 + .Can it be that the S9 is charging via the rc controller? Help please.
Yes , with Android the controller charges the phone constantly and there is no way to stop it.

Yeah, the controller will charge your phone if connected to the USB port on the side (not sure about the full-size socket below the controller's display, but I don't think it will). This can really sap your controller's battery, so it's always a good idea to charge your phone before flight, especially given the limited options for recharging the controller in the field.

To do this on the go, I use one of those USB charging packs. I have an 11,000mAh one that's about the size of a deck of cards I got from Amazon for £15 or so that I tend to use for multiday trips, and a 2,200mAh one about the size of a cigarette lighter that was a tradeshow freebie that I use for daytrips.

It does and its difficult if not impossible to stop - however the charge rate is quite low and doesn't carry on when the controller is turned off
I would have expected more than three flights from full charge though.

Reactions: superdave5050
Thanks for info going to test out remote battery life if not connected to S9 .will report.

incorrect,there is an app for android not to charge
Can you let us in on the secret rickw? Would love to know what app' that is please?

Reactions: ff22
I can check in a while,not home right now,think you have to root phone,but it was worth it

Without phone connected remote gives nearly 3 hours to get to 21%. Have found on the S9+ How to switch the fast charge functions off this may help will have to try and see if this works.

I got the following from the DJI Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom user manual. From what I understand you can enable/disable RC charging of the phone for Apple but not Android. It would seem that DJI assumes people actually want their Android phones to be charged by the RC.

1541815166338.png

The good news is that if you disable Fast Charging on your Android phone there is hardly any drain on the RC battery. I am used to it now and it doesn't annoy me. There must be a good reason why the "charging" option is not available for Android - otherwise, why would DJI not include it?

Not many Androids have an option to disable charging, though most have the option to ONLY charge.
Fast charge, depending on the specific definition, is 5v at greater than 500mA, or higher voltages negotiated over the data lines under QC specs.
RC manual indicates it provides only 500mA, which is significant enough considering the small size of the remote.

Reactions: DuffMog
Yeah, the controller will charge your phone if connected to the USB port on the side (not sure about the full-size socket below the controller's display, but I don't think it will). This can really sap your controller's battery, so it's always a good idea to charge your phone before flight, especially given the limited options for recharging the controller in the field.

To do this on the go, I use one of those USB charging packs. I have an 11,000mAh one that's about the size of a deck of cards I got from Amazon for £15 or so that I tend to use for multiday trips, and a 2,200mAh one about the size of a cigarette lighter that was a tradeshow freebie that I use for daytrips.

Or, you could just get an iOS device ;)

Reactions: SteveCA and DuffMog
Am I right in assuming that because you can't charge the controller through the USB 2.0 port in its base, that if you switched to using the side port [mini-USB] on the controller just for charging and the base port [USB 2.0] for the controller-to-device link, then you'd not have this battery drain issue when connecting Android devices?? Can anybody confirm that ... ???

Am I right in assuming that because you can't charge the controller through the USB 2.0 port in its base, that if you switched to using the side port [mini-USB] on the controller just for charging and the base port [USB 2.0] for the controller-to-device link, then you'd not have this battery drain issue when connecting Android devices?? Can anybody confirm that ... ???

This is correct. You can however charge the controller from a regular USB port/charger if you connect via micro-USB to the side port.

In that light, and given the supposed fragility of the controller's side port, I'm leaning towards using a phone/tablet holder connected via the base USB port and leaving a short USB cable in the side port purely for charging via USB rather than using the DJI supplied charging cable on the battery charger. No need to plug/unplug any cables from the controller at all that way.

This is correct. You can however charge the controller from a regular USB port/charger if you connect via micro-USB to the side port.

In that light, and given the supposed fragility of the controller's side port, I'm leaning towards using a phone/tablet holder connected via the base USB port and leaving a short USB cable in the side port purely for charging via USB rather than using the DJI supplied charging cable on the battery charger. No need to plug/unplug any cables from the controller at all that way.
This is something that's being covered in other posts, but a popular solution is to use NetDot USB connectors [see: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076Q8Y...colid=X5BS0IJUTCGA&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it ] These allow you to plug the stubby micro-USB tip into the controller and just leave it there. The 'magnetic' end of the main cable then just 'clicks' onto it when you want to charge the controller. It means that you don't have to keep plugging and unplugging connectors into the [fragile] micro-USB on the controller. It does mean however, that you need to get a short USB 2.0 cable to plug your phone/tablet into the USB connector in the base on the controller - just as you have suggested.

I got the following from the DJI Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom user manual. From what I understand you can enable/disable RC charging of the phone for Apple but not Android. It would seem that DJI assumes people actually want their Android phones to be charged by the RC.

View attachment 52878

The good news is that if you disable Fast Charging on your Android phone there is hardly any drain on the RC battery. I am used to it now and it doesn't annoy me. There must be a good reason why the "charging" option is not available for Android - otherwise, why would DJI not include it?

I'm a bit confused by this as the Mavic controller doesn't support fast charge in the first place so with that feature disabled the Android device will charge at the 'normal' USB speed which the 500mA mentioned above is at the lower end of.

I'm a bit confused by this as the Mavic controller doesn't support fast charge in the first place so with that feature disabled the Android device will charge at the 'normal' USB speed which the 500mA mentioned above is at the lower end of.

I think most people on this thread are confused.

When connected to an Android device the RC acts as a charger. As result, the RC battery drains faster than normal. There is no way to stop this from occurring – using the Type-A USB port on the underside of the RC to connect to the Android device makes no difference.

If your Android device supports Fast Charging, turning off that feature will dramatically slow down the draining of the RC battery – at least that’s how it works with my Mavic Pro and Samsung Galaxy S7. My experience is that the RC battery level drops to 15-20% after 5-6 flights – I’m happy with that.

If you google this issue you’ll find various dodgy (IMHO) remedies including tampering with the cable to deactivate the “power” component.

When connected to an IOS device the RC does not act as a charger. With the new Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom DJI 4 Go has a new setting which enables the user to toggle RC Charging on/off for IOS devices only which is somewhat ironic given that, in the past, the RC didn’t actually charge the IOS device.

As previously mentioned in this thread I believe that there must be a good reason why DJI has not included Android devices with the new DJI Go 4 “RC Charging” setting. I would suggest that it’s an Android related issue because, even if you go into the phone’s Developer Options and change the USB Configuration from “Charge this phone” to “MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) or any of the other options, it makes no difference – the RC will still charge the phone.

I think it is you that doesn't understand,no chargeing takes place from bottom usb port on rc

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronecc