DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Experiences of DJI customer services

I had the gimball overload error 2 weeks back (everything updated) when making an sphere. On 2% of the sphere it lost connection, nothing responded and I pressed return to home. Was able to land it myself but the app/visuals didnt work.

Turned it off and on again and havent had any problem since. Wont be using the sphere anymore though.

I checked and saw some dust on the rubbers on the side of the gimball. Since it works again I wont touch/clean that (overall the gimball(area) is clean).

Reactions: Air_Joe
Hey Steve...I've flown my Mavic Pro a little more than a year now. I've had two events involving "gimbal motor overload". First time was about 3 months flying; second time about 3 weeks ago. Both times issue was solved when I bought and changed the gimbal ribbon. Cost of the ribbon less than $20.00 and about an hour of patience.

The Mavic Pro gimbal ribbon is the "weak link" in the camera. The first event a small tear in the ribbon was caused by a crash. The second time was more difficult to "diagnose" because I didn't crash, so I didn't suspect the ribbon was the problem. However, I remembered that for several weeks I was noticing an occasional glitch in my videos like a twitch in the gimbal; that was then followed one day with the gimbal motor overload warning. I then remembered that about a month before I did have a pretty hard landing .

Sooooo....change your gimbal ribbon. And, by the way, will need some patience. Both times I replaced mine, didn't work the first time I re-assembled so I had to take apart and recheck my connections LOL! I'm an old guy and don't see as well as I used to.

Good luck, friend. And hang in there. It took me over 6 months to final "trust my bird". That's because it wasn't really the "bird", but is was my learning curve.

Reactions: Steve1978
Good advice. I have seen the ribbon or dirt being the issue in several cases. The cameras natural position is ever so slightly to the right. Very rarely, stationary the camera moves by a tiny degree and violently goes from side to side you can’t even see it unless you are looking at your screen on your phone. If you pick the drone up or take off it stops.

It all just seems a little bit poorly made to me. I have had a bebop 2 for the past 3 ish years. Never crashed never had a hard landing, more importantly it does exactly what it says it does. With the range being the only major downside I would have happily have stuck with it.

Funnily, I went to the mavic air as it had better range and a 4K camera. BUT, I can’t transfer the 4K footage to my iPhone XR, just says not compatible AND the mavic only manages about 1500m range in perfect conditions on an empty beach with no interference. Maybe I should have gone for the anafi?

It's really hard to find "perfect" conditions where I am, but one particular area that overflies forested, I was able to get 2-1/2 miles downrange and still had good signal and video transmission to my Android phone. I didn't run out of distance; I ran out of nerve LOL!

I live 20 minutes from the ocean and could fly as far as the thing will go over the ocean, but what's the point of sending a $1000 worth of camera 5 miles out to see the sea.

This is my first- and probably last- serious drone I've ever had and I've really grown to enjoy it. It already has MORE functionality than I'll learn which I like because it means I'll never get bored with it. And the photo / video quality is already way above anything I've ever done in my photo-hobby days.

Good luck, Steve!

Reactions: Steve1978
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saikiran Villa