DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Experiences with Galaxy S21 and DJI Fly?

Steve F

Reactions
Site
www.stephenfischerphotography.com
It looks like it may be time to upgrade my phone after my older Galaxy S7 microSD port is getting more and more flaky. The two best choices seem to be the iPhone 12 or the Galaxy S21. I would prefer to stay with Android, but I don't see confirmation of its support with the compatibility lists like here: Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO & DJI Fly (Updated Daily) | Phantom Help or here: The Latest DJI Fly (DJI Air 2S / DJI Mini 2 / Mavic Air 2) Compatible Device list | Cult of Drone
But I do notice that the DJI fly center app download page does say it is supported: DJI Fly - Download Center - DJI

So what I am looking for is any recent feedback from users with the S21? With my S7, I did have to do some tweaks to get it to work, such as getting rid of some apps to free up more memory, disable notifications, turning off the video caching and disabling the grid lines on the screen in the Go app. I am hoping such kludges should not be necessary with the latest phone?

Will be more than powerful enough without any of the above .The S 7 is a old phone.
S 21 has the snap dragon 888 processor which has 8 cores. Plenty power in that to run DJI FLY without disabling caching etc

I just upgraded to S21 Ultra and while the app seems to work fine, I cannot get the camera to work. I tried two different drones (Mavic MIni) and remotes and both operate fine, but neither show the camera view. Phone screen shows usual data such as map, satellites, battery, etc. Just no camera view

Well it seems like it might be working now. I went to Google playstore and could not find the DJI fly app. I figured that might me the Samsung 21 Ultra was not compatible. So I went straight to DJI and was able to find the app and reloaded it on the phone. It took some time, but now it seems to be working fine. I hope it stays that way. By the way, I checked the chipset in my phone and it is listed as LAHAINA android 11. According to internet sources, Lahaina is another name for the Snapdragon.

Well it seems like it might be working now. I went to Google playstore and could not find the DJI fly app. I figured that might me the Samsung 21 Ultra was not compatible. So I went straight to DJI and was able to find the app and reloaded it on the phone. It took some time, but now it seems to be working fine. I hope it stays that way. By the way, I checked the chipset in my phone and it is listed as LAHAINA android 11. According to internet sources, Lahaina is another name for the Snapdragon.
I'm thinking of upgrading to the S21 Ultra as well. Is the FLY app still working fine for you? I have a Mini 2 BTW :)

It looks like it may be time to upgrade my phone after my older Galaxy S7 microSD port is getting more and more flaky. The two best choices seem to be the iPhone 12 or the Galaxy S21. I would prefer to stay with Android, but I don't see confirmation of its support with the compatibility lists like here: Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO & DJI Fly (Updated Daily) | Phantom Help or here: The Latest DJI Fly (DJI Air 2S / DJI Mini 2 / Mavic Air 2) Compatible Device list | Cult of Drone
But I do notice that the DJI fly center app download page does say it is supported: DJI Fly - Download Center - DJI

So what I am looking for is any recent feedback from users with the S21? With my S7, I did have to do some tweaks to get it to work, such as getting rid of some apps to free up more memory, disable notifications, turning off the video caching and disabling the grid lines on the screen in the Go app. I am hoping such kludges should not be necessary with the latest phone?

I have the Galaxy S2 5g. I am not able to unlock to fly in a location I could fly before. I have logged out and logged back in. It tells me that I'm not logged in
I went back to my Apple phone and it worked fine. The Apple phone is the cheapest model and it works the best.
I have been involved with teck support. So it's not working.

Last edited:
just saw this. Yes, I have been operating 2 different mini's with the ultra 21 without any issues. Actually since the upgrade I think everything is working better. I feel like I have a better connection to the drone and it seems more responsive with the Ultra 21 than my last phone, which was the galaxy note 9

Go for Note 20 Ultra, it's brighter
I had to get a new phone to run DJI Fly too.

I have the Samsung Galaxy 20 Note. Works great.

At the time, I saw some indication that the *Ultra* version didn't work reliably, which is why I didn't get that variant.

Too bad, really. I would VERY much like a brighter screen.

TCS

I have the Samsung S21 and I cannot install the dji fly app. I get the message that there is no app that can read the file. I thought maybe I accidentally downloaded the apple app, but deleted it, and re-download directly from the dji download page. Help! How can I get this app installed?!

I have the Samsung S21 and I cannot install the dji fly app. I get the message that there is no app that can read the file. I thought maybe I accidentally downloaded the apple app, but deleted it, and re-download directly from the dji download page. Help! How can I get this app installed?!
It is pretty simple. Once you download the .apk file to your downloads folder on your phone (or drag and drop it there from your connected computer), then using the My Files app on your phone open the .apk file. It may require you to change your security settings to enable installing apps from this method, but it will prompt you if this is so.

Reactions: Sdrolz
It is pretty simple. Once you download the .apk file to your downloads folder on your phone (or drag and drop it there from your connected computer), then using the My Files app on your phone open the .apk file. It may require you to change your security settings to enable installing apps from this method, but it will prompt you if this is so.
One little trick and then all worked just fine. I had to rename the file and ADD the .apk file extension. Apparently it downloaded without a file extension of any kind. Once I renamed the file with .apk on the end, I just double clicked and everything worked. I did have to change security to allow installing apps from outside the play store, but the install took me right there, so that part was easy. Figuring out the file had no extension was the hard part.
Long click on the file and choose details and look at the end of the file name. Then do the same and choose rename and just add .apk to the end of the file name if it's not there, save, close, then go back to the file and dbl click to open, the reset works like a charm

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22