DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Exploring Glaciers in Alaska with the Mavic 2 Pro

Great footage! Alaska is really majestic! Just returned from Anchorage recently. Such a different world!

Reactions: JakeS
Great footage! Alaska is really majestic! Just returned from Anchorage recently. Such a different world!
Thanks and I agree Alaska has some incredible places to see! How was your time up here?

Amazing! Walked out on a frozen lake and took some really low to the ground footage right over the frozen lake. Also flew super low over snow covered tree's and almost clipped some concealed power lines.

Got some flowing ice river shots in Talketna with Denali in the background. So I was part of the 10 percent that got to see Denali without it being socked in with cloud cover!

Stayed at the Roadhouse in Talketna overnight to try and view the Northern Lights in below freezing night time coldness. Bear sightings in town the night before!
No luck with the Northern Lights even though my phone app indicated Talketna has lots less light noise than Ankorage and percentages were high that we would see them in that location. Wanted to try some long exposure shots. :(

Great place to stay at the Roadhouse though as they literally tell you what lights to turn off and what doors to lock when they leave at 9PM. Things like that just dont happen very often in the lower 48.

Prime viewing was supposed to be 11 PM - 2 AM. Nothing. Although by 1 AM my eyes were playing tricks on me and I thought the fringes of the sky looked a little green.
Had my Mavic primed and ready just waiting. So disappointing. A day after we left I got multiple texts from people up in Alaska with pictures of the Northern Lights. Murphys!

Reactions: JakeS
Amazing! Walked out on a frozen lake and took some really low to the ground footage right over the frozen lake. Also flew super low over snow covered tree's and almost clipped some concealed power lines.

Got some flowing ice river shots in Talketna with Denali in the background. So I was part of the 10 percent that got to see Denali without it being socked in with cloud cover!

Stayed at the Roadhouse in Talketna overnight to try and view the Northern Lights in below freezing night time coldness. Bear sightings in town the night before!
No luck with the Northern Lights even though my phone app indicated Talketna has lots less light noise than Ankorage and percentages were high that we would see them in that location. Wanted to try some long exposure shots. :(

Great place to stay at the Roadhouse though as they literally tell you what lights to turn off and what doors to lock when they leave at 9PM. Things like that just dont happen very often in the lower 48.

Prime viewing was supposed to be 11 PM - 2 AM. Nothing. Although by 1 AM my eyes were playing tricks on me and I thought the fringes of the sky looked a little green.
Had my Mavic primed and ready just waiting. So disappointing. A day after we left I got multiple texts from people up in Alaska with pictures of the Northern Lights. Murphys!

Lol well you got lucky in some ways and not so much in others! The Roadhouse is great. I grew up in Talkeetna and still spend a lot of time there when we visit my parents. Great little town with the best views of the Alaska range anywhere!

Cheers. Glad you enjoyed your time up here!!

Reactions: Emantk7
The SuperSTOL is amazing, nice work!

It really is! Crazy short take off and landing rolls. Perfect plane for stuff like this

Reactions: AMann
What an adventure! Thanks for sharing. My dad was a bush pilot in Maine. I've always wanted to go there and fly.
You did a nice job with your footage as well.

That’s awesome! I hope you get the chance to come here and experience it yourself sometime.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique