DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s Exploring the highest Paved road in North America 14K+ and well beyond! Climbing and Biking on Mount Evans, Colorado

Karlewski

Reactions
This was a HUGE adventure biking to altitude and then climbing 3 mountains, two 14ers and a 13er covering a massive expanse of the Mount Evans Wilderness Area. The light snow cover added an addition challenge as well on thrilling class 3 terrain. . . . In the summer the road portion of this trip is a very popular driving destination with amazing views and wildlife!
Cheers My Friends!
shttps://youtu.be/WvlqHRCPOF8

I enjoy watching your adventures and always pleased when you return to your start point. You enjoy the thrill
of danger methinks.

Edit:

Reactions: Vapor069
This was a HUGE adventure biking to altitude and then climbing 3 mountains, two 14ers and a 13er covering a massive expanse of the Mount Evans Wilderness Area. The light snow cover added an addition challenge as well on thrilling class 3 terrain. . . . In the summer the road portion of this trip is a very popular driving destination with amazing views and wildlife!
Cheers My Friends!
shttps://youtu.be/WvlqHRCPOF8
When I went to Mt. Evan about 2 months ago - the road was already closed - closes like Oct 1. so, going further would require hiking or biking. That would be quite a trek from the gate at Echo Lake up.

I was told that up near the summit on Mt. Evans is a No Fly Zone and with some of the crazy CO and Denver Park rules, I'd not doubt it.

Even at Echo Lake, my Air2 was constantly telling me about high altitude and for sure, the drone had to work harder and about half the typical battery time.

Reactions: PixelMagic
Awesome trip and video, I really enjoyed watching. Thanks so much for sharing. Truly, an epic adventure!

Very nice!

Yes I am totally hooked on the thrill of these adventures, I've always been that way, MTB's, motorcycles, paragliders, and most of all rock climbing which I do weekly at a minimum. I have little fear of danger but, a huge fear of injury or death and that guides me pretty well. Fear does not help performance unless it's straight line running, LOL!!! I know my limits and leave some margin at that, you know, sh#t happens.
I alway get the altitude warnings and I think I loose 5mins of the typical 18-19min. realistic flight times. I wish I could have flown the towers on the Sawtooth but that area is just too deep in wilderness to abide by the rules. . . Mt. Evans road proper, some area around summit Lake and on Spalding's east ridge and the summit proper are the only crannies not in wilderness areas. I use the app Map out recommended from MAvic_South_Oz, it shows all the wilderness boundaries and is a huge help in general orienteering. Also some of the maps you see in the videos. . . they are screen shots of my positions and altitude. . . though it does read a bit low sometimes. . . As much as I love these trips, seeing my truck at the end is always a happy moment for me too! I did sprain my ankle near the summit of Bierstadt last season, OMG was that a painful 7 miles from there. . . only injury I had last year and not really too bad a sprain. . . thank god! Even the biceps ligament rupture this season was way more minor than I expected. . . only stop rock climbing for 2.5 months, never stopped mountaineering at all aside from a couple weeks post surgery, modern medicine is amazing!

When I went to Mt. Evan about 2 months ago - the road was already closed - closes like Oct 1. so, going further would require hiking or biking. That would be quite a trek from the gate at Echo Lake up.

I was told that up near the summit on Mt. Evans is a No Fly Zone and with some of the crazy CO and Denver Park rules, I'd not doubt it.

Even at Echo Lake, my Air2 was constantly telling me about high altitude and for sure, the drone had to work harder and about half the typical battery time.
The U.S. Forest Service controls the Mt. Evans area. You can fly anywhere EXCEPT at Summit Lake and at the very summit over the parking area. Otherwise, I have flown that whole area.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d