DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Exposure Bracketing Options M2P

Citizen Flier

Reactions
I always bracket the exposures for stills: 5 frames, raw. Somehow that setting was recently disabled, perhaps with Firmware update. I now see that DJI offers HDR capture with a DNG file, which I hadn't known about. I had been using the auto bracket option. I would combine the frames into an HDR image with Adobe Camera RAW/Photoshop. Nice part about that is the updated Adobe NR allows for really good NR, but it has to be applied to each frame, not the merged HDR image.

I just viewed a good how to page on exposure bracketing with M2P. Multiple options were explained, with the updated HDR option added at the end. Looking for opinions on the options from advance users here.

I thought this was well done:

Lately, I've been heeding advice from Adobe to take few shots for HDR. With fewer shots, you have less ghosting / alignment issues.

If you really need 5 to 7 shots because there's really that much exposure range to cover (details in both the very bright areas as well as details in the deep shadows), that go for it. Otherwise, with several stops of DR for each frame, 3 shots covers most of the stuff I do.

I like to shoot cityscapes after the sun goes down but there's still color on the horizon and the sky is not yet dark. There really is not many stops of dynamic range to cover, so I usually take 5 shot bursts, same exposure for each, then do am auto-align and median SmartObject stack.

Here's a short tutorial on median stack to reduce noise.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That lesson is on astro, but works for anything and is the exact the technique I use for city stacking, such as this one:

North Tunnel Vent_12-2-20_(Holiday Needle 2020)_A22_SR FB.jpg

Somehow that setting was recently disabled, perhaps with Firmware update.
I'd be surprised if an update disabled that function.
What are you seeing when you try to use it?
I now see that DJI offers HDR capture with a DNG file, which I hadn't known about.
The in-camera HDR function won't be as good as using dedicated software to create your own HDR image from bracketed image files.

I'd be surprised if an update disabled that function.
What are you seeing when you try to use it?

The in-camera HDR function won't be as good as using dedicated software to create your own HDR image from bracketed image files.
Speaking on behalf of lazy people,I like it.😁

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seb-6