DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Exposure lock, DJI Fly 1.4.1

DaveLewin

Reactions
For the life of me, I cannot get the auto exposure to lock with the latest firmware.

Double tapping the screen doesn't work, neither does pressing and holding (this just gives the gimbal pitch option on the screen). Setting the controller key to AELock doesn't do it either.

Is anyone else having this problem, and how can I access it?

Tia

Reactions: CLAYB.7
Hi, works for me only in the photo mode. Android, DJI Fly 1.4.0. Are you sure with 1.4.1? Can't find it anywhere...
One tap on the screen, a yellow circle is displayed with a sun next to it.
Tap on the dot in the middle of the circle and hold it for 2 seconds.
The dot changes to a lock symbol, AE is locked.
Tap on the x next to the circle to unlock it.

For video it doesn't work that way, seems to be a bug (IOS version works fine).
Workaround: In the Settings define the double tap on the FN button with "AE Lock/Unlock".
You won't see a feedback on the screen if it's locked or unlocked but it works.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveLewin
Hi, works for me in the photo mode. Android, DJI Fly 1.4.0. Are you sure with 1.4.1? Can't find it anywhere...
One tap on the screen, a yellow circle is displayed with a sun next to it.
Tap on the dot in the middle of the circle and hold it for 2 seconds.
The dot changes to a lock symbol, AE is locked.
Tap on the x next to the circle to unlock it.
Cool, thanks (I meant 1.4.0 sorry). So, yes I can see that works in photo mode, but does that simultaneously also lock for videos?

For the life of me, I cannot get the auto exposure to lock with the latest firmware.

Double tapping the screen doesn't work, neither does pressing and holding (this just gives the gimbal pitch option on the screen). Setting the controller key to AELock doesn't do it either.

Is anyone else having this problem, and how can I access it?

Tia
Cool, thanks (I meant 1.4.0 sorry). So, yes I can see that works in photo mode, but does that simultaneously also lock for videos?
Dave what benefit will auto exp lock have in video where the "picture moves" and exposure changes all the time? If you not just hovering over one subject.

Dave what benefit will auto exp lock have in video where the "picture moves" and exposure changes all the time? If you not just hovering over one subject.
Good question. It's just that I've seen some YouTube videos on it, and - looking at some of my recent efforts - think it would be better to have a consistent exposure throughout.

Reactions: Capt KO
Exposure lock is quite helpful when shooting video. As the drone changes position, and the lighting changes, autoexposure changes the exposure to match. Unfortunately the changes that it makes can be quite abrupt and quite noticeable. What works better for me is to set the manual exposure to avoid clipping the highlights, and adjust everything gradually in post to get the overall exposure I wand smoothly.

Reactions: SethB
Hi, I edited my first post and added the description for video. There is a bug in the Android version but also a workaround.

Reactions: DaveLewin
Since there appear to be issues with the SC and 1.4.2 I installed the BETA version from DJI. I noticed that if I redefine the C1 to Auto Exposure Lock as recommended by JooB earlier, there is a visible feedback LOCK/UNLOCK symbol next to the "AUTO" button when pressing the C1.

Regarding switching from Video to Still with the SC, the image still "freezes" until pressing the "play" button and back or switching from single to AEB and back mode changes are made. After that, all seems to work fine. Switching back to video - no issues.

Last edited:
For video it doesn't work that way, seems to be a bug (IOS version works fine).
Workaround: In the Settings define the double tap on the FN button with "AE Lock/Unlock".
You won't see a feedback on the screen if it's locked or unlocked but it works.

Hi,

Are you talking about MM1? Bec on MM1 settings there is no such option to assign a button. I am using an android phone and having the same problem. Exposure lock works in photo mode but doesn't work in video mode. Also I still don't understand why DJI is not giving us an update to fix this. I think they are like "You have MM2 anyways just dump yours"..

For those wondering why would someone ever need that function: When doing a color correction it is really important to have a stable exposure.

Cheers

#POST EDIT#

Thanks to the user below, I now fixed my problem by following his instructions. Hope it helps you too.
As an oldskool Mavic Mini owner with no FN button, this is obviously not a solution BUT there is a (very clunky) workaround.

I'm now on 1.4.8 (in-app update prompt) and running on an Android 10 device. If you go into photo mode, you can lock the exposure by the tap and hold on the yellow circle, right? So, what you do is tap to bring up the yellow circle but DON'T hold to pick the exposure. Now quickly go to video mode, and the yellow circle will briefly turn into a yellow rectangle. NOW you can hold that and it will lock the exposure.

Obviously this is clunky as, but it does work. Also, to unlock the exposure you should be able to simply tap anywhere on the screen or, if this doesn't work, switch back to photo mode and then back to video mode again and it'll clear the exposure lock as it always has done.

Let me know if this works for you guys and gals as well.

#END OF EDIT#

Last edited:
Hi akilmaf,
I fly a Mini 2, but the problem is in the android app, not in the drone.

Thank you for sharing the alternative to solve the problem with a workaround!
With DJI Fly 1.4.12 it's still not solved by DJI... not very nice.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos