DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

exposure "zebra" stripes

desucca

Reactions
hey guys, working on improving my photo/video skills with my mavic 2 pro. I have the exposure stripes on, and I understand what they're for, but I'm wondering if someone could clear something up? specifically, do I want to shoot photo/video with no trace of these stripes whatsoever? or is it ok to roll it back until it's gone then bump it back up on or two steps?

I'm an amateur with this stuff who's been reading an awful lot, but certain details like this I'm struggling with...

thanks

The amount of highlight warnings you want to see depends to a certain degree on whether you're shooting in RAW or jpeg. In RAW you'll have some leeway in recovering some detail in the highlights. If you're shooting in jpeg what's blown is blown and irrecoverable.

Another thing to consider is what's more important to you, shadow or highlight detail, also how much noise you're willing to accept if you have to boost the shadows. As with my regular camera I expose for the highlights and worry about the shadows in post.

Good tips above. If there is something in your framing that is very bright and have no real detail (e.g. bright snow) its ok to overexpose IMO. Also, if there is a huge difference in luminosity/light/brightness then it depends on what you want to focus on. Perhaps you have a very bright sky and also something you want to focus on in the shaddows. It might be ok to overexpose the sky in order to not underexpose the shadows.

I agree with what is written above, generally you don't want to underexpose or overexpose, especially not overexpose as you cannot recover any details from these areas. An overexposed sky will look white, and you will not be able to recover the clouds or anything. Underexposed shadows can be "lifted" or brightened somewhat in editing, thus getting back details you did not see before.

Another classical example where overexposure is normal is if you take a picture of someone indoors next to a window on a bright day. If you expose for the subject the light from the window (the outside) will usually be bright white and contain no detail.

Last edited:
Reactions: desucca
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kzenoxx