DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

toddlaroche

Reactions
I recently acquired a custom battery that basically weighs the equivalent of 2 batteries (see pic attached). I haven't used it for a full flight, but I have noticed the prop motors get hotter than they do when using the stock battery ... obviously due to the additional weight. Does anyone have experience flying their Mavic Air 2 with such a battery or flying with a payload equivalent to an additional battery? I'm concerned this may not be good for the rotors ultimately. Does the Mavic Air 2 have any sort of warning system built in to alert high temps of prop rotors? Will too much heat automatically shut down the prop?

Attachments

• IMG_5043.jpg
    IMG_5043.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 31
Don't think the motors will be the weakest link in the chain when it comes to pay/over load, it will be the ESC's, they usually are the first to go when over loading & when they burn out down you go. Motor temps are usually nothing to worry about until you actually can't, even with the best will power, hold them with your fingers... there you risk that the motor windings burn, if only "warm" isn't a problem.

The ESC temps is registered in the mobile device stored DAT log ... copy that log over to your computer & open it up with --> CsvView (Download link) below green marked signals will give you the temps. Compare the ESC temps with & without that hoggy battery & you will see the difference.

From one of my own mobile device DAT logs

1643404091899.png

Last edited:
I recently acquired a custom battery that basically weighs the equivalent of 2 batteries (see pic attached). I haven't used it for a full flight, but I have noticed the prop motors get hotter than they do when using the stock battery ... obviously due to the additional weight.
Did you happen to buy the used one on eBay this week? If so, congratulations, you outbid me by $2.50! Perhaps the concern over heat is why the seller decided to unload it. If you decide to resell it, let me know!

I did; that was me. Maybe I’ll sell it if I decide to be conservative with my flying. The battery itself is great and works just fine. Definitely adds a lot of time to the indicator.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I did; that was me. Maybe I’ll sell it if I decide to be conservative with my flying. The battery itself is great and works just fine. Definitely adds a lot of time to the indicator.
Too many coincidences for it not to be the same battery! I have a Mavic 3 which gets about 32 minutes on average. I figured the MA 2 double battery might be an asset to get similar flight time out of my Air 2S, as it is now compatible with the RC-Pro, which I also own, as the Air 2S doesn't do very well with the RC-N1. Be happy to buy it from you for what you paid, plus shipping, any time. Price was reasonable!

It’s huge, what does it weigh? Flight time comparison? Who makes it?
Interesting idea, Thanks

I fly an A2 with a Rescue Jacket and Wetsuit but for carrying loads, use Phantoms. Not sure of load capabilities of the A2 series but the gear on mine reduces air time by 8 min. Only use Jacket over water for that reason. Oversized batt would probably do the same.

Why have they not come out with solar panel tops for each battery? Wouldn't that be smart and
could let you fly a lot longer. A strong trickle charge and invent a new battery management chip...Just saying
The benefit would be marginal at best, even in full sun, based upon the diminutive size of the area on top of the battery, and it would be completely useless in the dark. Solar panels work best on large gliders with huge wingspans at high elevations.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman