DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

External memory

theGreatNW

Reactions
First off I'm not super tech savvy so this may not work the way I'm thinking

So I do not currently have a desktop and have been saving all flight video and pictures on micro sd cards and using a tablet for editing. I've been looking at external memory drives on amazon. My question is if I transfer my flight video to the tablet can I then transfer that to an external hard drive to save everything on or is it not that easy and I'm missing something?

Reactions: Jim596
Depends on your hard drive and tablet. If your tablet supports OTG adapters then you could plug a USB drive in directly with one, but you'd still need to either put the Mavic's memory card into the tablet or use the controller and app to download full versions of the files to the tablet (instead of just the cached versions).

Currently for editing I've been transferring files from the sd card to the tablet so I was hoping from that point I could just transfer to the external memory, I'm using the Samsung tab s2 I believe

Currently for editing I've been transferring files from the sd card to the tablet so I was hoping from that point I could just transfer to the external memory, I'm using the Samsung tab s2 I believe
The SD card from the body of the Mavic Drone to your tablet correct? If so Flawless (above) is correct.
Regards,
-d

Do yourself a big favor. Take the plunge and invest somewhere around $325 or so for a 1TB SOLID STATE external USB drive. You're going to eat up memory fast once you get started saving and manipulating video files, and solid state drives are much more reliable, give faster transfer rates, and are finally affordable. Traditional hard drives are physically and electronically prone to crashes or failures, neither of which solid state drives are. In the long run, they are worth it. The prices may have even come down since I bought mine, actually. Never hurts to look.

Reactions: theGreatNW
If you're just looking for something to transfer your files from the micro SD card to an external hard drive, just get yourself a Ravpower file hub plus. It cost about $40 on Amazon and acts as a middleman between the SD card and external hard drive. You insert your micro SD card in to the Ravpower, plug your external hard drive in, connect via an app on your phone/tablet and you can transfer files back and forth. You can view files using the app as well. I used this during a month long trip to Asia so I didn't have to pack my laptop.

Reactions: theGreatNW
Wow thanks for all the responses I'm gonna do some research tonight and see what I really need

Currently I'm leaving all my flight video on my sd cards that go into the mavic, I have 2 64gb San disk extreme pro and 2 Samsung 32gb pro cards plus the one that came with the mavic so u have a decent amount of memory but it's getting to be a pain switching cards trying to find the video I'm looking for and eventually I'll wind up needing more and more cards. My tablet is only 32gb so I really need a place to store everything. I'd really like to have something that I could just plug into the tablet and move the files onto

Is this an option I put in solid state external hard drive into amazon and this is the top rated option that came up

That one requires USB3.0, so probably not (I don't know of any tablets that support USB3.0 over OTG).

You only need a USB2.0 drive, and it doesn't need to be a SSD.

Reactions: Bunny Too
You may want to consider a far cheaper option. Use OneDrive from Microsoft. By purchasing a yearly subscription to Office 365 Home you can have 5TB of cloud storage. It's costing me £50/year. I don't auto renew I purchase a card (like you would with Xbox live) every year and enter the code, otherwise it's £80/annum. If you factor that into the lifespan of an HDD or SSD (incidentally if that external drive fails you lose EVERYTHING unless you buy another device and backup to that). Microsoft will have your data backed up at multiple data centres. They could ill afford to lose your data or their business would be defunct.

I have both solutions (a server with mirrored array) and if I had to go with one based on fit for your purpose it would be OneDrive.

If you want the cheap/free option of cloud storage. Use YouTube. Just upload and keep your videos private. There is a downside in that there is a slight quality degradation. It is also a bit of a pain getting the videos back to edit. Their online editor ain't pushing the envelope.

Last edited:
Reactions: MLR
You could get two Western Digital 1TB drives for $50 a piece. 2TB are about $70. You could have backups for your backups fairly cheaply.

You could get two Western Digital 1TB drives for $50 a piece. 2TB are about $70. You could have backups for your backups fairly cheaply.

You can always go cheaper. You get what you pay for, as always. Solid state means no backups are ever needed. For truly vital, irreplaceable storage, nothing beats it.

You can always go cheaper. You get what you pay for, as always. Solid state means no backups are ever needed. For truly vital, irreplaceable storage, nothing beats it.

SSDs can fail like any electrical device. In fact, you're more likely to lose the data on a SSD failure than a standard mechanical hard drive.

Reactions: newnan3
SSDs can fail like any electrical device. In fact, you're more likely to lose the data on a SSD failure than a standard mechanical hard drive.

Exactly. You could get 2 WD external HDs and an online cloud subscription for half the price of an external SSD.

I do however want a Samsung SSD but i'd still have a backup for it just in case.

That is literally the second worst advice I've seen on this forum (apart from the advice I offered someone asking if the Mavic could cut you to "try it and see"). You can NEVER have too many backups.

Picture this. Imagine that your SSD has worked for years without any issues. Six years from now you're transferring your latest footage from your Mavic Ultra (3rd gen, 4th gen got released 6 months ago and you've had on back order since then). There is a pop sound and a little bit of smoke emanates from your SSD caddie. You take it to your local computer shop and they say "sorry son, it's a goner".

Six years of epic footage - the drive was nearly full, you even ditched some early stuff that wasn't up to the 8K SUHD you're now getting on the Hasselblad that you reshot it. All those hours spent editing, and trying other editors and getting grief cause the lawn needed mowing. Your legacy for your family. Those memories! You begin to cry.

Your lifeless body is recovered later from the river under your favourite bridge.

Seriously. Backups matter.

Disclaimer: I will not be held liable for any offence caused by reading this tongue in cheek post.

That Ravpower file hub actually looks really interesting. Im doing the Everest base camp trek later this year and I was looking for a way to transfer my files to a backup device of some sort.

Thanks for all the responses I took a little bit from all I ordered a 2tb drive for about 70 on amazon, never thought about using cloud storage so I set that up and looking into a Samsung solid state for the future. I really appreciate all the help and input.

Reactions: HeavensAbove
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard