DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Exton Park?

Reactions
I saw a thread on here a while back where a lot of people mentioned Exton Park as a great place to fly. I was in the area today so I stopped by the park, and there's a sign there listing park rules and regulations. Among the rules was a prohibition against flying any model aircraft, specifically including drones (I should have snapped a pic of the sign while I was there, but I didn't think of it at the time).

Is this new? I think the thread where this park was mentioned was from 2017, so maybe they changed the rules since then? I thought PA law says counties and municipalities can't make their own rules about drone use, am I right?

I didn't have my drone with me anyway, I just stopped by to scout it out for the future, but was disappointed when I saw that sign. Anybody here still fly there? Can they prohibit drones there, or can I ignore that rule because it's superseded by PA state law?

I saw a thread on here a while back where a lot of people mentioned Exton Park as a great place to fly....Can they prohibit drones there, or can I ignore that rule because it's superseded by PA state law?
What Pennsylvania law are you referring to? Thanks.

What Pennsylvania law are you referring to? Thanks.
Act 78 of 2018 (HB 1346)
§ 305. Local regulation of unmanned aircraft prohibited.
a. Preemption.--The provisions of 18 Pa.C.S. § 3505 (relating to unlawful use of unmanned aircraft) shall preempt and supersede any ordinance, resolution, rule or other enactment of a municipality regulating the ownership or operation of unmanned aircraft. As of the effective date of this section, a municipality shall not regulate the ownership or operation of unmanned aircraft unless expressly authorized by statute.

Thank you. Not being an attorney, I wonder what impact the phrase “ unless expressly authorized by statute” has for us. The reason I ask is that I contacted the FAA-UAS about the legality of the Corps of Engineers forbidding drone flight over their property. After specific research, they informed me (and the Corps) that take off and landing could be disallowed on their property but they have no authority on the airspace above it. So, now does Act 78 forbid any town, municipality, or park, to pass an ordinance limiting flight in our state? Thanks.

Last edited:
I saw a thread on here a while back where a lot of people mentioned Exton Park as a great place to fly. I was in the area today so I stopped by the park, and there's a sign there listing park rules and regulations. Among the rules was a prohibition against flying any model aircraft, specifically including drones (I should have snapped a pic of the sign while I was there, but I didn't think of it at the time).

Is this new? I think the thread where this park was mentioned was from 2017, so maybe they changed the rules since then? I thought PA law says counties and municipalities can't make their own rules about drone use, am I right?

I didn't have my drone with me anyway, I just stopped by to scout it out for the future, but was disappointed when I saw that sign. Anybody here still fly there? Can they prohibit drones there, or can I ignore that rule because it's superseded by PA state law?
Did you find other spots to fly your drone ? I live in Downingtown and still scouting for places to fly my drone so just looking for recommendations

Did you find other spots to fly your drone ? I live in Downingtown and still scouting for places to fly my drone so just looking for recommendations
I’m in Parkesburg. You could try Marsh Creek but not from within the park (against PADNR rules). Out here I find high ground and go for miles over farmland. Route 30 coming into gap is a cool spot. I’ve only had my air to S a few weeks so I’m still exploring good spots. Out here I have to avoid GO Carlson airport. I definitely want to drive over near the Susquehanna at some point.

IMG_3647.jpeg
From today. I was going to stop over lunch. There are other places though nearby, like the parking for Chester Valley trail.

In 2016, I was staying at a hotel near King of Prussia and I took my Phantom 3 Pro to Wilson Farm Park near Valley Forge. It's like a sports park with ballfields and such and was the only open place I could find near my hotel to fly my P3P. I don't recall seeing any signs prohibiting drone use, but it really comes down to the local ordinances anyway. I flew about three times in a week and nobody hassled me about it.

The only time I was stopped at a park by a cop was in Ohio but that's only because he had a report of a drone harassing some people at the dog park. I certainly wasn't "harassing" people and even offered to show the cop video of my flight to prove I was at least 80 feet above their heads, but then he told me there is an ordinance at the park that prohibits drones so I lost the argument anyway. He just let me off with a warning.

WIlson Farm Park is in Treddyffrin Township. Their park rules have no specific mention of drones, UAV or RC aircraft, but there is a broadly-worded prohibition against "vehicles...aircraft (including but not limited to ultra-light planes and hot-air balloons), and/or other motorized devices employing wheels and/or blades of any kind..." that could be used by park officials to prohibit drones.

WIlson Farm Park is in Treddyffrin Township. Their park rules have no specific mention of drones, UAV or RC aircraft, but there is a broadly-worded prohibition against "vehicles...aircraft (including but not limited to ultra-light planes and hot-air balloons), and/or other motorized devices employing wheels and/or blades of any kind..." that could be used by park officials to prohibit drones.

I do recall seeing a sign of prohibited activity but didnt see drones on it. It's a nice park in the sense that I never saw cops patrolling it, and thus less chance of being harassed or ticketed for flying my Phantom. I flew to the mountain ridge across the PA turnpike and got some nice views up there.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu