DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Extreme newb scared to fly mavic

The app still freezes and will not connect !
I'm using an iPad mini 4 with my Mavic. I would advise using a USB to Lightning cable from the controller to the iPad. The short cable that came with the Mavic was designed for the iPhone, it may not reach the iPad connector. You can put the mini in airplane mode in the settings. (The iPhone that I initially used disconnected until I put it in Airplane mode) That is a more reliable connection than wifi. Other posts address cables that work (search). Do your controller and Mavic connect? i.e., does the controller display come up and display GPS mode (or ATTI mode if inside a building) after they are both powered on? If so they are connected and ready to fly. Connect iPad with cable and open the app. If app is still freezing, delete it and download/install it again.

hey , know what you mean and how you feel, lets just say i am much older than you, mine stayed in the box for a month before i even took it out and charged it up. watched many different videos, this one and his others where most helpful,
, watched and re-watched and paused and made notes, made a pre flight check list ,etc,etc . there are others that are very helpful also. baby steps and you will get there. its been about 3 weeks now and feeling pretty comfortable with it. and thank goodness no serious mishaps.

Another newb here :) Flown about 7 times already, every time I loose sight of the drone I panic, especially after all these fairy tales about flyaways. Move from iPhone (6s) to iPad mini was a huge step forward, now I at least see the map. Speaking of cables, did anyone tried these ones? Angle Apple USB Lightning cables for DJI Mavic Pro Phantom and Inspire ? I'm not in the US and international shipping there is not free and almost as expensive as the cable itself. But it looks very nice.
Any advice on the sun shade that can work with iPad Mini installed in the RC arms?

Thx, Const.

There is a simulator in the DJI app - drop the menu on the top right and select Academy. It uses the controller so you get a good feel for how it all works. Hardest part about flying a drone for me was getting my head around how the controls move the aircraft in different directions depending on which way the nose is pointed. But it is just a skill to learn. The simulator lets you do it safely. And when you do take out the drone to really fly, find a large empty space. Much less anxiety provoking. If you can make a cup of tea without spilling leaves all over the floor and boiling water all over yourself you can fly this drone. (BTW I'm 64, so you have no excuse!)

Left is left and right is right only if the aircraft faces forward when you look at the Mavic from behind it. When the Mavic is looking at you everything is opposite.

Any advice on the sun shade that can work with iPad Mini installed in the RC arms?
I am using a tablet adapter but I have used this sunshade in the controller arms with iPad mini 4. It has a loop at either end that slips over the iPad and fits far enough inboard of the arms to use the iPad button on front.
This is amazon but you might find same one on eBay since it is probably made in china.

Amazon.com: Hooshion Remote Controller Phone Monitor Sun hood Sunshade Cover Hood Smartphone Tablet iPad Sun Shade for DJI MAVIC PRO Inspire / PHANTOM 3 4 M600 OSMO Accessories (7.9 inch, Black): Automotive

Reactions: ConstDouble
I have had my mavic for a few days now and finally took it out in the back yard to see if i could just take off, move around a little and then land it.
Beginner mode ? √
GPS locked on 15 √
Scared the crap out of me ? √
Almost crashed it on maiden voyage? √
Had to check underwear after landing and prop shut down √
Scared to do it again ? √√√√√√√√√

I have the flight record if anyone is willing to look at it and tell me what im doing wrong.
Im sure i probably should have not hit RTH but then i did manage to cancel it so i could take control. I have NO IDEA how i managed to keep it out of a BIG tree in the back yard after hitting RTH. I just got lucky.

This is my first drone and i clearly have no clue what im doing.
I also have prop guards on it if that may be causing any issues.
What i really need is a flying teacher as its clear im in trouble.
Problem may = 59 year old man with 20 year olds drone . That all equals trouble. Especially as a newb.

Find a soccer field that's empty. Look for a RC airplane field that's not being used. Get out there and get used to it. You need space and confidence in your abilities before flying in the backyard or confined spaces.

With reference to the sticks, I am sure that you have the front of the MP facing away from you....Just a thought!

> A tutorial for the app would be awesome. Especially for a newb like myself

DJI Mavic Pro: Tips, Tricks, & Techniques

This is a 2-hour course on using the Mavic, with a lot of the lessons being in the app. The teacher of the course posted on this forum a few days ago that the whole course was unlocked so we could view it for free for the next few weeks. Instead of registering, just click on each video lesson in the "Contents" box on the right, and you watch the whole thing without signing in.

I'm new to drones myself, but having flown my new Mavic a bunch of times over the past few weeks since I got it already makes it a much more pleasant experience than the first flight. Of course my almost-2-hours of flight time makes me a total noob compared to many of the experienced people on this forum, but those first few hours have already made a world of difference. After reading the manuals and watching some training videos, go out and practice as much as possible, and over time you'll feel more comfortable.

Thanks for the link to the tutorial. Checked it out for free, but couldn't open. All the locks are locked under "contents". Looks like it will be a great 2 hour course. Thanks, Ray

I am 63..... have wanted a quadcopter for several years now. I bought a Mavic a couple of weeks ago and it has yet to leave the ground bacause the app will not open on my phone. DJI chat sent me a link that will fix the problem...... the link refuses to open..... DJI then tells me it must be my phone and said my Galaxy J3 is not compatible.
G to the phone store to see if they carry any of the compatible devices listed on DJI website, the cheapest of the available devices was a $400 mini i-pad 4 !
What choice do i have ? Reluctantly i purchased it and guess what ? ..... The app still freezes and will not connect !
Contact DJI for the 9th time and they now say sorry, but there is nothing we can do but perhaps i should try another device !!!
$1300 Mavic
$400. Tablet
Sitting on shelf as parerweights !

You may be a nervous wreck, but at least you can fly yours.

that does not make any sense. i bought a new mavic from amazon and an ipad mini4. i loaded the go 4 app and updated the firmware on the mavic and all batteries.
it flew as soon as i had the guts to take it outside. as far as dij support ( aka calibration support ) , its a joke. its china and all they care about is getting you're money.
I did not update the ios on the ipad mini 4 at all. if you launch the app then turn on the controller and then the mavic, does it not connect to the app and show the camera view ?
do you have a usb to lightning cable running from the underside of the controller ( usb end of that cable ) to the ipad lightning port ? im trying to figure out why in the world this is not working.
i have read threads about certain cables NOT working. here is the cable im using and it works perfectly. Amazon.com: 2 Pack Pocket Travel iPhone Charger Short Cable 90 Degree L Plug Connect Power Bank External Batteries, Never Bent Right Angled USB to Lightning Port Sync Data Cord for iPhone 7, 6s, iPad (8in): Cell Phones & Accessories
its the perfect length and the 90 on the lightning side is nice.

Also, have you tried to connect directly to the mavic with the DJI assistant 2 app to see if the mavic is alive ?

If you bought a new ipad mini, you can certainly call apple and they will help you figure out whats going on. here is the american tech support number for apple - 800-692-7753

Another newb here :) Flown about 7 times already, every time I loose sight of the drone I panic, especially after all these fairy tales about flyaways. Move from iPhone (6s) to iPad mini was a huge step forward, now I at least see the map. Speaking of cables, did anyone tried these ones? Angle Apple USB Lightning cables for DJI Mavic Pro Phantom and Inspire ? I'm not in the US and international shipping there is not free and almost as expensive as the cable itself. But it looks very nice.

Thx, Const.
heres a cable on amazon ( 2 pack ) that work perfectly for ipad mini and are cheap
Amazon.com: 2 Pack Pocket Travel iPhone Charger Short Cable 90 Degree L Plug Connect Power Bank External Batteries, Never Bent Right Angled USB to Lightning Port Sync Data Cord for iPhone 7, 6s, iPad (8in): Cell Phones & Accessories

Reactions: ConstDouble
You admitted a few days ago to being unable to fly due to your lack of drone experience. A lot of folks have provided good tips here and I'm sure you found a wealth of good videos on youtube. You are an IT tech, so you should know the limits of wifi/radio transmissions. The GPS, the compass and the sensors work together to keep the mavic flying and aid you in that respect. I wouldn't have flown it around a metal building that could potentially block radio signal and then land on a metal trailer. You were just lucky. You are asking for a crash. Stay clear of the large metal objects, in fact stay away from concrete that might have rebar in it. Your radio works best line-of-sight. You can fly out of sight visually, but controller and bird should have a clear path between them. The GPS needs a clear unobstructed view of sky and some might say there is a potential for bounced signals when you are too close to metal buildings/trees etc. Don't take off under trees unless you have set RTH accordingly. If you lose signal it will go straight up to whatever altitude is set and fly a course directly back to where it took off and then land, so obstructions defeat that auto-safety feature. Make sure you set RTH altitude to clear the highest object it has to fly over to return home. As others have said you might want to get a cheap drone and learn to fly it. It will help you save your $1000 drone someday when you have to fly manually.
I had the double led stay on with my battery. I made sure it was charged, flew it to 30% and when I charged it next time it was fine.

i think you are overreacting . if that metal is a massive issue, please explain drones not falling out of the sky during flights around / right next to radio towers / flying in town around massive amounts of EMI / rebar in concrete everywhere / ect.
the trailer i landed on top of is aluminum. the trailer i landed on the deck of was wooden. i, in no way, think i just got lucky. maybe i should just go blow some cash on a piece of s**t drone to learn to fly when i already have a top quality mavic. that makes total sense, not. i should always find a 20 acre cleared field in the wilderness with no power lines within a 2 mile radius. its all unrealistic. if i crash it, its my 1k loss. i think you are underestimating the mavics ability to deal with certain amounts of EMI that is EVERYWHERE.

Reactions: frankiez
I'm going to chime in...

I have a P2 and just got a Mavic. In the years of flying the P2 something I learned to like and trust (which could help Newbies) is Course Lock and Home Lock. If you had a Phantom it was 2 features that you had to Enable. With either I knew if I lost sight of the P2 I'd switch over to HL or CL and Pull the F/B Stick Back. This helps solve the "OH CRAP... WHAT DIRECTION IS IT FACING" dilemma. In either mode, it doesn't make any difference where the quad facing. Pull back on the stick and it's Come Back to you. Until James posted the video above, I thought DJI had left out CL and HL. I've flown the Mavic twice, once in Beginner Mode and once in the normal mode. If you have not played with the Simulator it will help you to understand what direction the Mavic is facing but... I Happy the Mavic has Course Lock and Home Lock!

My GF wants to Fly the Mavic. (With the P2 No One has ever Flown it.) I plan on putting the Mavic in the Tripod Mode and letting her fly it. I think for people who are actually afraid will gain some confidence in either the Beginner or Tripod modes.

I'm using a Droid Turbo phone. Sunday when I flew I Could Not See the Screen outside in the Bright Sun Light. So... Looks like I need an ipad Mini too. Humm....

I just watched a utube vid and the guy suggested that the tripod mode is the best thing since sliced bread for a beginner.
Not really. It's VERY slow and steady.. Like all have said, read, watch, practice in open area!
Once it clicks, the Mavic is amazing.

Something is wrong if you are in GPS mode and your Mavic is drifting, because it uses the GPS information to maintain its position.

1) find the interference monitor in the DJI GO app sensor page advanced, and walk around with the Mavic to get a sense of how bad things are where you are getting drift.
2) Once you find a clean big area, go right ahead and do a GPS calibration in that area. You probably wont need to do one again unless you go on a vacation with it.
3) In that same big clean area, see if it still drifts.

Regarding headless mode, you have to look at your screen sometimes to get a sense of the Mavic bearing. That might help make it more comfortable to use. If you just have weak spatial reasoning, then I would simply adapt your style of use to account for that, and don't try to fly like the trust fund kids that have spent their entire childhoods playing video games, and have huge tumour like parts of their brain tuned to do this sort of thing. :)
And make good use of the map overlay!

I'm 52 and until January of this year hadn't flown much beyond a paper airplane. I bought my Mavic direct from DJI, and while it was in transit I took the time to download the manual to read and watched hours of YouTube video tutorials on flying and camera settings. DJI has their own YouTube channel with some very informative videos on The Mavic (DJI Tutorials). When it finally arrived, I fired it up (without flying it) and set all of the settings that I'd learned about through reading and videos. I waited another day or two, because like you I was nervous, then took it out to a soccer field by my house to fly for the first time. No trees, and flat as a pancake. I flew in beginner mode the first two or three outings, then took off the training wheels and went to a nearby park where I took it out of beginner mode for the first time. I fly at least once a week, and am in forums like this and YouTubing daily learning new techniques and camera settings. About six weeks ago, I took it to the ocean and flew out over water for the first time. My knees were literally shaking, but I kept reminding myself "This is what you bought it for". Tripod mode has a top speed of 4 mph and is really cool for flying tight spaces, but I prefer cinematic mode which also slows down the drone but not to that extreme. Tripod mode is not practical for every day flying. DON'T fly indoors unless/until you're very confident. Your drone will most likely not have a GPS signal and be in ATTI mode indoors. I've seen at least a dozen videos of first timers firing up in their living room and flying into a chandelier or wall destroying their new drone and in one case a guy's brand new 4K TV. DO NOT PANIC when flying. If you feel that blood rushing to your head, simply let off the sticks and The Mavic will hover in place while you collect your thoughts. This thing is super intuitive, and 99% of the problems that I read about are due to pilot error though it's much more convenient to blame it on DJI than eat crow. I'm a little overly cautious, but I typically won't fly mine below 17% battery life. That depends, though, on how far out I'm flying. Definitely over water with an ocean breeze I'm reserving at least 20% battery to assure that I have enough power to get back safely. I am also a homebrewer, and as Charlie Papazian a renowned brewing author says, "Relax. Don't worry. Have a homebrew". Here's the link to my ocean flight. Yes I was nervous the entire time, but seeing the reward in the end made it all worth it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa