DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Extreme newb scared to fly mavic

wonkamavic

Reactions
I have had my mavic for a few days now and finally took it out in the back yard to see if i could just take off, move around a little and then land it.
Beginner mode ? √
GPS locked on 15 √
Scared the crap out of me ? √
Almost crashed it on maiden voyage? √
Had to check underwear after landing and prop shut down √
Scared to do it again ? √√√√√√√√√

I have the flight record if anyone is willing to look at it and tell me what im doing wrong.
Im sure i probably should have not hit RTH but then i did manage to cancel it so i could take control. I have NO IDEA how i managed to keep it out of a BIG tree in the back yard after hitting RTH. I just got lucky.

This is my first drone and i clearly have no clue what im doing.
I also have prop guards on it if that may be causing any issues.
What i really need is a flying teacher as its clear im in trouble.
Problem may = 59 year old man with 20 year olds drone . That all equals trouble. Especially as a newb.

Last edited:
I have had my mavic for a few days now and finally took it out in the back yard to see if i could just take off, move around a little and then land it.
Beginner mode ? √
GPS locked on 15 √
Scared the crap out of me ? √
Almost crashed it on maiden voyage? √
Had to check underwear after landing and prop shut down √

I have the flight record if anyone is willing to look at it and tell me what im doing wrong.
Im sure i probably should have not hit RTH but then i did manage to cancel it so i could take control. I have NO IDEA how i managed to keep it out of a BIG tree in the back yard after hitting RTH. I just got lucky.

This is my first drone and i clearly have no clue what im doing.
I also have prop guards on it if that may be causing any issues.
What i really need is a flying teacher as its clear im in trouble.
Problem may = 59 year old man with 20 year olds drone . That all equals trouble. Especially as a newb.

Read the manual front to back, watch video's of other people flying, find someone local that has a mavic........Most important, relax and have fun....it's easy to fly.

Its drifting around alot with no stick input during hover. Thats not like what i've been seeing on youtube. Im sure its me or something in the somewhat confusing and overwhelming DJI GO 4 app.

Try a larger area without anything nearby that you could crash into. Baby steps at first. up/down, yaw right/left. (wax on, wax off) Get familiar with the intelligent flight modes too, I'm betting you would like tripod mode.

Reactions: MAVA4
Its drifting around alot with no stick input during hover. Thats not like what i've been seeing on youtube. Im sure its me or something in the somewhat confusing and overwhelming DJI GO 4 app.
GPS is what keeps it stable

You have prop guards on. I don't know if it matters but I think there is a setting for prop guards.
There is, but it hinder the true performance of the MP a wee bit.
Take it to an open fields in B mode for a few flights until you learn to control it.
Familiarize your self to the app display/usage (icons) on your phone/device.
Baby steps @ 1st until you develop confidence.
Read the manual and watch tutorials on YouTube on "how to's and setups etc".
Pretty soon you'll be up there confident w/ your flying.
GOOD LUCK!

Try a larger area without anything nearby that you could crash into. Baby steps at first. up/down, yaw right/left. (wax on, wax off) Get familiar with the intelligent flight modes too, I'm betting you would like tripod mode.

I just watched a utube vid and the guy suggested that the tripod mode is the best thing since sliced bread for a beginner.

There is, but it hinder the true performance of the MP a wee bit.
Take it to an open fields in B mode for a few flights until you learn to control it.
Familiarize your self to the app display/usage (icons) on your phone/device.
Baby steps @ 1st until you develop confidence.
Read the manual and watch tutorials on YouTube on "how to's and setups etc".
Pretty soon you'll be up there confident w/ your flying.
GOOD LUCK!

I cant even get comfortable with - push stick left - mavic goes right - push stick right - mavic goes left.
Thats really screwing with me.
Do i have the controller set up wrong ?

Just to be safe make sure you select "propeller cage." I'm sure it's the guards hindering performance and not the software.

You can switch the sticks around if so desired. Click "Stick Mode" in general settings under the remote icon.

Just to be safe make sure you select "propeller cage." I'm sure it's the guards hindering performance and not the software.
i didnt turn cage on only because youtube vids say it makes no difference.
Im going to leave the traing wheels on until i can fly it.

It sounds like the only thing you did wrong was over thought it. I'm 45 with my first drone, and started the same way. Just go easy on the sticks, slow & small inputs. And remember to breathe and have fun

Reactions: Vilco
You can switch the sticks around if so desired.
is there such a thing as " headless" mode on mavic ? that may be a crutch that i need until i can get better.
if thats an option , i cant find it.

i didnt turn cage on only because youtube vids say it makes no difference.
Im going to leave the traing wheels on until i can fly it.

Well, you should try it and see if it makes a difference, DJI put it there for a reason.

It sounds like the only thing you did wrong was over thought it. I'm 45 with my first drone, and started the same way. Just go easy on the sticks, slow & small inputs. And remember to breathe and have fun
when i came back in the house with it, i did not feel like i just had fun.
i felt like i may have made a mistake thinking that i could do this.
the stick left / right being opposite of what actually happens is really disorientating.
Alos, i never once looked at the ipad mini until i saw that i was in trouble and needed to do something to get it back on the ground.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan