DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Extreme newb scared to fly mavic

I have the controls set to "Mode 2", it can be adjusted in GO4.

after watching the above video, im not having any trouble flying in the default stick mode. that video was what i needed.
but i still prefer to keep my eye on the mavic way more than the ipad mini.
im sure ill get over having to physically see the mavic during flight.

That is wise.

Do read the Mavic pdf user guide, as it contains a chart detailing what the battery led flash codes mean. Cheers!

TY for the heads up on the battery being too hot.... LED 4 flashing - too hot

that does kind of suck though because i live in Florida and flying today, the ambient is over 90f. . so thinking you can charge and keep flying on 3 batteries is unrealistic.
maybe 6 or 8 batteries. you are going to need cool down time plus charging time. so when i hear 2 or 3 batteries is all anyone would ever need is just not accurate.

It should be rock solid in a hover with no stick input.

They do bounce around quite a lot even in a hover if there's wind however the gimbal does an amazing job of keeping the image on screen perfectly still. If its a random any direction movement around an average centre point its normal. If its a fixed, constant drift in one particular direction that hints at maybe a calibration issue (imu or sticks etc).

Beginner mode then hitting RTH its possible the thing was within 5m of the take off point in which case it'll try to land where it is rather than where it launched from. That could explain the tree incident.
Reading the manual and making bullet point notes for the "features" of some of these modes is useful.

Reactions: Pathogen
There is not that I am aware of. It may not be a bad thing, because it can force you to take things very slowly and carefully. This contributions made by other on this forum have helped me the most as far as shortcutting learning everything by trial and error, but really, your biggest enemy is impatience. I'm glad to read you don't have trouble with spatial reasoning, in that case all you need is practice, lots and lots of it!

That may be a really good idea. I recall seeing one at Walmart for $50. The Mavic has 'smart' features that can actually get you into confused and into trouble.

i seem to have a pretty good grip on it now. it only took a couple of batteries but im sticking with the beginner mode for awhile

Reactions: MAVA4
Beginner mode then hitting RTH its possible the thing was within 5m of the take off point in which case it'll try to land where it is rather than where it launched from. That could explain the tree incident.

thats exactly what happened. you nailed it !

Braver than me then - mine terrifies me every single time i see the little thing hovering a long way off the ground!

that is still a little unnerving but im afraid of heights. i have never been on an airplane and never will be. we shall see if the drone height on the ipad bothers me. im sure i will get used to it.
but im flying on my property which is only 1.5 acres and loaded with trees. im staying at low altitude until i get more confident with it. im just taking it slow and easy. i flew the mavic right up to my face about 24" away while sitting in a chair and it did not scare me at all. it seems to be rock solid. i did turn on the prop cage for my guards ( not cages ) and it seemed to stabilize the mavic much more. the video i posted is what i am doing. im still doing squares and not ready for the figure 8 just yet.

That may be a really good idea. I recall seeing one at Walmart for $50. The Mavic has 'smart' features that can actually get you into confused and into trouble.

i see no reason to blow $50 on trash when i have a quality product now.
I think if you are cautious and take it slow and easy, the mavic is kinda hard to crash.

Uh, i probably should not have said that. Crash karma guaranteed now.

I am very careful, yet it is so easy to be distracted by the smartphone screen, and not realize the Mavic is about to hit an obstacle, which almost happened to me doing a pan, almost into a power pole.

btw when your phone looses connection, or the app crashes, don't panic. The remote control is entirely independent of the DJI GO app, and will continue to function. Depending on your phone, the cpu can get overwhelmed and loose video feed and even its connection to the remote.

I am very careful, yet it is so easy to be distracted by the smartphone screen, and not realize the Mavic is about to hit an obstacle, which almost happened to me doing a pan, almost into a power pole.

btw when your phone looses connection, or the app crashes, don't panic. The remote control is entirely independent of the DJI GO app, and will continue to function. Depending on your phone, the cpu can get overwhelmed and loose video feed and even its connection to the remote.

its the latest generation ipad mini 4 that i bought on amazon

i had a lightning strike in the yard yesterday and i found the cedar tree that it hit. i want to fly the mavic up there to get a closer look but i dare not. that would just be asking for it.
it blew my internet cable modem, an 8 port POE switch in the big garage and an 8 port gigabit switch in the house. **** i could have bought 2 more batteries for what that cost me.
wonder if lightning ever hit a drone. im in florida and its lightning central here.

I am very careful, yet it is so easy to be distracted by the smartphone screen, and not realize the Mavic is about to hit an obstacle

exactly why im spending my baptism paying 90% of my attention on the mavic and 10% on the ipad

and i found the cedar tree that it hit. i want to fly the mavic up there to get a closer look but i dare not
Well don't worry, the wrecked tree will still be there when you are ready! :)

Yea the ipad 4 is reported to behave very well with the GO app. I have a very cheap android phone for the Mavic that I found in the ditch getting rained on with a shattered screen, so I don't trust it at all, but that may have saved me already since I am surely more cautious because of it.

Well don't worry, the wrecked tree will still be there when you are ready! :)

Yea the ipad 4 is reported to behave very well with the GO app. I have a very cheap android phone for the Mavic that I found in the ditch getting rained on with a shattered screen, so I don't trust it at all, but that may have saved me already since I am surely more cautious because of it.

A nickel controlling a $1000 :eek: YOU are the man !!
I suspect your flying skills will negate any issues you encounter though.

A nickel controlling a $1000 :eek: YOU are the man !!
I suspect your flying skills will negate any issues you encounter though.
Nono see that's my exact point though, the phone (or ipad etc) doesn't matter, it can crash, and the remote control isn't affected. This crappy phone always telling me no connection, but then I look on the remote screen, and it shows a perfect connection. :)

Congrats wonkamavic, we knew you could do it!......................................ps........don''t be a puss.

I have had my mavic for a few days now and finally took it out in the back yard to see if i could just take off, move around a little and then land it.
Beginner mode ? √
GPS locked on 15 √
Scared the crap out of me ? √
Almost crashed it on maiden voyage? √
Had to check underwear after landing and prop shut down √
Scared to do it again ? √√√√√√√√√

I have the flight record if anyone is willing to look at it and tell me what im doing wrong.
Im sure i probably should have not hit RTH but then i did manage to cancel it so i could take control. I have NO IDEA how i managed to keep it out of a BIG tree in the back yard after hitting RTH. I just got lucky.

This is my first drone and i clearly have no clue what im doing.
I also have prop guards on it if that may be causing any issues.
What i really need is a flying teacher as its clear im in trouble.
Problem may = 59 year old man with 20 year olds drone . That all equals trouble. Especially as a newb.
Watch YouTube videos. Lots of them. They are extremely useful. Keep your prop guards on and stay in open areas. You'll be fine. Have fun.

Im getting more confident every time i fly it. still in beginner mode though. still have training wheels on.
now if i can just figure out if i need to return it to amazon for replacement because of gimble bang noise that ive had since it
came out of the box. i posted a thread with a video that shows exactly what im experiencing but nobody has said its normal or that theirs do it.
if i cant get some conformation, im just going to send it back and get another one.

heres that thread with the video.
Is this noise normal or is this a problem

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goadreams